Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

1 minute ago, docR said:

That's pretty ironic, given Microsoft's reputation for being the 'enterprise' solution. It was used in my prior workplace too. I have very little experience with Exchange though.

Thunderbird is pretty powerful, shame Mozilla doesn't invest further into it. Really enjoying Interlink/MailNews though. The UI feels like Thunderbird 3.1, but with all the creature comforts found in newer versions.

I can't find much about MailNews when searching for it, could you give me a link for it?

Just now, asdf2345 said:

I can't find much about MailNews when searching for it, could you give me a link for it?

It's made by Roytam1, it's listed on their website. http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2020/08/weekly-browser-binaries-20200801.html

Ctrl + F and just search MailNews, grab the latest binary from the list.

But if you're not using XP or have Vista kernel patched, you may as well grab the unmodified version from BinaryOutcast. https://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/

Just now, docR said:

That's pretty ironic, given Microsoft's reputation for being the 'enterprise' solution. It was used in my prior workplace too. I have very little experience with Exchange though.

Yeah, Outlook is great but it has some weaknesses. In particular, it's pretty bad at actually doing email. Message quoting is something that is basically broken in Outlook. You can't use HTML email at all, it must be plain text, and even then it has massive issues. Numerous people have complained about terrible message formatting when sent this way. No issues in MailNews. Here's an example from O2K7: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/o2k7/

I use Outlook for calendar and contacts, sometimes reading, almost never for composing or replying to email, unless it's the Exchange account which I use mostly for calendaring/contacts these days and "read only" email.

TB/derivatives have turned out to be much better at supporting the email standards, so MailNews just works better. Initially it was annoying to have both open all the time, but I've kind of gotten used to it; sometimes I'll close Outlook after the workday is over and there's nothing left on my calendar for the day.

On the other hand, Outlook obviously does Exchange, which TB doesn't. Effectively, both programs are required so I've just made peace with that.

Just now, docR said:

Thunderbird is pretty powerful, shame Mozilla doesn't invest further into it. Really enjoying Interlink/MailNews though. The UI feels like Thunderbird 3.1, but with all the creature comforts found in newer versions.

Yup, exactly! I tried TB itself out and had some bad experiences with it, though that might have been XP + TB and not TB itself. But it sort of went the way that FF did, so MailNews has been much nicer.

At one point on this site I think I found an unofficial installer script for the Roytam programs. Problem was it didn't quite work right, since it assumed UAC would always be disabled and only admin users would ever use it, plus it didn't work cross-NT platforms. I added some patches so it works as a proper installer now - works from W2K through W10, and installs programs for all users (technically portably still, but in the Program Files directory) and adds desktop and start menu shortcuts in the appropriate places. Just used it to put New Moon on W2K.

If the program is already installed, the installer just overwrites the files, so if the batch script were a startup script via GPO, the roytam programs would all get updated automatically on reboot. I haven't done this, though; I just manually update once in a while. In the future I think it would be nice to mirror the repository locally so if I did this update mechanism it would pull locally, not over the Internet.

3 minutes ago, docR said:

It's made by Roytam1, it's listed on their website. http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2020/08/weekly-browser-binaries-20200801.html

Ctrl + F and just search MailNews, grab the latest binary from the list.

But if you're not using XP or have Vista kernel patched, you may as well grab the unmodified version from BinaryOutcast. https://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/

Personally, I just use the Roytam1 programs, always. Even though W7 is supported now, in the future it might not be, so I just started using them there as well to sort of "future proof". Since the Roytam programs always work, it just simplified inventory for me since it's the same program on all operating systems, back through W2K, whereas the others are not, and my installer solution works quite nicely with all of them.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:09 PM, Dylan Cruz said:

Personally, I just use the Roytam1 programs, always. Even though W7 is supported now, in the future it might not be, so I just started using them there as well to sort of "future proof". Since the Roytam programs always work, it just simplified inventory for me since it's the same program on all operating systems, back through W2K, whereas the others are not, and my installer solution works quite nicely with all of them.

Well it would be fairly pretentious to drop 7 from a project that's a distant relative of ESR 52.9. But Pale Moon seems fairly reluctant to drop 7. There were forum responses about it in the past. A rather beat-around-the-bush way of saying no, there's no real incentive to do so as long as it doesn't halt development or some such. annnywhooo.

On the bright side, profile data across the originals and RoyTam1 variants are shared. So switching between them can be done in seconds in any event.

Btw. Could you maybe share the RT1 installer script you mentioned earlier? I had one in the past but it didn't work quite right.

Edited by docR

14 hours ago, docR said:

Well it would be fairly pretentious to drop 7 from a project that's a distant relative of ESR 52.9, but alas they did just that with XP and Vista sooooo...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't trust these 3rd party software vendors anymore than I trust Microsoft now.

14 hours ago, docR said:

But Pale Moon seems fairly reluctant to drop 7. There were forum responses about it in the past. A rather beat-around-the-bush way of saying no, there's no real incentive to do so as long as it doesn't halt development or some such. Kind of hypocritical but annnywhooo.

Pale Moon, maybe, but the official InterLink doesn't support Windows XP. So a lot of what Roytam1 forks *is* pretentious software.

14 hours ago, docR said:

On the bright side, profile data across the originals and RoyTam1 variants are shared. So switching between them can be done in seconds in any event.

Yeah, I've noticed that!

14 hours ago, docR said:

Btw. Could you maybe share the RT1 installer script you mentioned earlier? I had one in the past but it didn't work quite right.

Thinking about that actually kinda p***ed me off, so I just switched out Interlink for MailNews and PM (which is only a backup browser for me anymore) with NM :cool: Still a consolidated installer would be epic.

I've put a ZIP download up here: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/ - download link is right at the top

I don't take most of the credit since I just forked it, but I fixed all the issues I observed with it so it should be tenable in a "real" deployment. Must be run as admin, but programs will work for all users afterwords. No guarantees but it's worked well for me so please let me know if there are issues!

2 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I've put a ZIP download up here: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/ - download link is right at the top

I don't take most of the credit since I just forked it, but I fixed all the issues I observed with it so it should be tenable in a "real" deployment. Must be run as admin, but programs will work for all users afterwords. No guarantees but it's worked well for me so please let me know if there are issues!

Thank you! This works perfect. Surprised, it actually places the files accordingly in c/programfiles and even creates a Start Menu entry.

Curious about one thing though. The main bat file doesn't list MailNews, rather there's a separate bat

Install_MailNews_PaleMoon.bat

Edited by docR

17 minutes ago, docR said:

Thank you! This works perfect. Surprised, it actually places the files accordingly in c/programfiles and even creates a Start Menu entry.

Curious about one thing though. The main bat file doesn't list MailNews, rather there's a separate bat

Install_MailNews_PaleMoon.bat

Oh, that's just a script that does just those two automatically. I kind of forgot about that. That's because those are the 2 programs I use.

This is the script that could be run as a startup script to auto-update those programs, I think.

I just use Install.bat though.

MailNews is listed in the main script under "BOC" I believe

Well that was quick. Beamng.Drive today updated to version 0.20.0.0 and unfortunately broke the support for Windows Vista with extended kernel :( 

So the latest version for Vanilla Vista is 0.15.0.6

For Windows Vista extended Kernel (as of 6.8.2020) is 0.19.4.2. I think that this is end of the road, since the game seems to utilize direct x 11.1 which Vista does not support.

12 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I think that this is end of the road, since the game seems to utilize direct x 11.1 which Vista does not support.

I dont think its a DX11.1 issue , dx11.1 can fallback to 11 and also windows 7 partially suports 11.1 so kinda doubtful

5 minutes ago, burd said:

I dont think its a DX11.1 issue , dx11.1 can fallback to 11 and also windows 7 partially suports 11.1 so kinda doubtful

Well idk then. But the game refuses to show anything but black screen.

How have people here been installing Chrome?

I've been trying to install SRWare Iron 70 and not been having any luck. Ditto for Chrome 70. I'm wondering if there's a simpler way than trying to use Application Verifier on a trace of files.

Maybe not possible but how are people installing their programs exactly?

46 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

How have people here been installing Chrome?

I've been trying to install SRWare Iron 70 and not been having any luck. Ditto for Chrome 70. I'm wondering if there's a simpler way than trying to use Application Verifier on a trace of files.

Maybe not possible but how are people installing their programs exactly?

We've been using a fork of Chromium, it comes with a portable version, or a silent installer, both of which work on Vista

25 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

We've been using a fork of Chromium, it comes with a portable version, or a silent installer, both of which work on Vista

I tried a portable version of Iron 70 just now and that does not seem to like me, either.

So only a portable version of a specific Chromium browser is working, but no other Chromium browsers like Chrome/Iron are working?