Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

On 7/19/2020 at 5:54 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Here, you will find a list of software compatible with Windows Vista, after installing the new extended kernel by Win32. As this project is very new, this list will remain quite short for the time being. 

List:

BeamNG.Drive 0.16 and later

Chromium versions 53-73 beta (later versions currently do not work)

Firefox "classic" versions 53-56

Firefox Quantum version 57 and later

GIMP 2.10.18

Google Earth 7.3.3 and later

Interlink Mail client

Logitech Gaming Software 9.02

Opera 44 (later versions currently do not work)

Palemoon 28.x 

Rocket League

Thunderbird versions 53 and later

Waterfox Classic

Waterfox Current

Whatsapp

I will continue to update this list as more software is made compatible. Feel free to contribute your own additions in the form of a reply to the topic, and I will add them ASAP.

Dear WinClient5270

I compiled an installer for firefox 79 (beta) for Windows Vista with the extended kernel

When installed, it should work out of the box.

https://mega.nz/file/7jRymQYT#FCZXhFv9C8nWLF9hV7AJqGZQ8deh6oh31vBhP3wJSFY

I hope this makes it to the compatible software list :)

Best regards!

Edited by WindowsVista

16 minutes ago, WindowsVista said:

Dear WinClient5270

I compiled an installer for firefox 79 (beta) for Windows Vista with the extended kernel

Best regards!

It will dont worry , as mentioned previously by WinClient5270, he is very busy due to a surge of work so it might take a while.

2 hours ago, WindowsVista said:

Dear WinClient5270

Best regards!

Keep in mind firefox is in version 79 already. So not beta anymore.

On 7/19/2020 at 6:54 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Here, you will find a list of software compatible with Windows Vista, after installing the new extended kernel by Win32. As this project is very new, this list will remain quite short for the time being. 

List:

BeamNG.Drive 0.16 and later

Chromium versions 53-73 beta (later versions currently do not work)

Firefox "classic" versions 53-56

Firefox Quantum version 57 and later

GIMP 2.10.18

Google Earth 7.3.3 and later

Interlink Mail client

Logitech Gaming Software 9.02

Opera 44 (later versions currently do not work)

Palemoon 28.x 

Rocket League

Thunderbird versions 53 and later

Waterfox Classic

Waterfox Current

Whatsapp

I will continue to update this list as more software is made compatible. Feel free to contribute your own additions in the form of a reply to the topic, and I will add them ASAP.

CCleaner 5.69 works with the extended kernel

On 8/1/2020 at 1:40 PM, win32 said:

Presently, only browsers based on Chromium 72 and older run.

This is most excellent!

Even on Windows 10 systems, as well as Windows 7, I use Iron (fork of Chrome) 70. They removed the old UI option after that, so I refuse to use anything Chromium newer than 70. It's a year or two old now but most things still work fine.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

5 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

There's like no reason to use anything above 4.19 though.

I second this. Just grab the community Winapp2.ini for ccleaner/bleachbit, and that will greatly increase the application detection in older clients. Modern CCleaner is quite literally spyware.

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

This is most excellent!

Even on Windows 10 systems, as well as Windows 7, I use Iron (fork of Chrome) 70. They removed the old UI option after that, so I refuse to use anything Chromium newer than 70. It's a year or two old now but most things still work fine.

I partially agree. But you can't stick with an old browser indefinitely. IMO either find something you can tweak to your liking, or find a specialty fork of Chromium that has better defaults. I haven't used official Chrome with the blue and green logo in years. Advanced Chrome has great tab styling, similar to pre 70.x. But it's based on 74 and 84 rn. Plus x86, so that leaves Vista kernel out for the moment.

Maybe look into userChrome styling with Firefox?

Just my two cents :yes:

Edited by docR

3 minutes ago, docR said:

I partially agree. But you can't stick with an old browser indefinitely. Either find something you can tweak to your liking, or find a specialty fork of Chromium that has better defaults. Advanced Chrome has great tab styling, similar to pre 70.x. But it's based on 74 and 84 rn. Plus x86, so that leaves Vista kernel out for the moment.

Maybe look into userChrome styling with Firefox?

I actually played with that a few times, I found one userChrome that made FF look like IE8.

I'm not a fan of the modern Firefoxes much myself though.

I use New Moon on Windows 2000 and sometimes on W7 as well. Iron 70 and W7+.

Once in a blue moon I get a notification in Iron 70 my browser is outdated, but I've never had functionality issues. More up to date than IE11 probably so I figured not much harm done there.

Isn't Advanced Chrome that sketchy program from China?

I'm not set on one browser necessarily, but I prefer the original Chrome/Iron when using a Chromium browser, not really interested in a different fork.

Also, just wanted to throw out MailNews works fine even in W2K, so it should work in Vista even without the new extended kernel, considering it works natively in XP.

4 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I actually played with that a few times, I found one userChrome that made FF look like IE8.

Once in a blue moon I get a notification in Iron 70 my browser is outdated, but I've never had functionality issues. More up to date than IE11 probably so I figured not much harm done there.

I'm not set on one browser necessarily, but I prefer the original Chrome/Iron when using a Chromium browser, not really interested in a different fork.

Also, just wanted to throw out MailNews works fine even in W2K, so it should work in Vista even without the new extended kernel, considering it works natively in XP.

Not perfect, but these replicate the design of Chromium 48 somewhat with Firefox/Waterfox

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/bn75ow/userchromecss_themes_for_waterfoxfirefox/

10 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I'm not sure where it's developed, but the source code is publicly released on their website. And the developer is very receptive to inquiries and feature suggestions/fixes. It's close to vanilla, just with some design cues from older Chrome. And Skia fonts have been modded to look more like pre-DirectWrite. A user recently helped port it to Linux too, using the public source code. So no, I wouldn't call it sketchy. Maybe you're thinking of that fishy 360Extreme crap?

New Moon / Pale Moon does have some amazing themes, so I'll tip my hat there yeah.

Agreed, MailNews (forked from Interlink) is pretty great. Even has bidirectional Google Calendar support.

Very interested in this IE8 CSS theme though. I modded Aris' script to look a bit like IE7 and Firefox 3.6.

1 minute ago, docR said:

I'm not sure where it's developed, but the source code is publicly released on their website. And the developer is very receptive to inquiries and feature suggestions/fixes. It's close to vanilla, just with some design cues from older Chrome. And Skia fonts have been modded to look more like pre-DirectWrite. A user recently helped port it to Linux too, using the public source code. So no, I wouldn't call it sketchy. Maybe you're thinking of that fishy 360Extreme crap?

Oh, that was it!

Then there's Chromium for W2K, which is version 54, and still has SSL issues so it doesn't seem to work.

I was doing some testing earlier in W2K. Apparently, with Firefox 52.9, it seems to think (or maybe it really does).

As a webmaster, it came to my attention recently that apparently phasing out TLS 1/1.1 is a thing. I wanted to look into whether that might be problematic for W2K/XP. Based on my testing, it seems now. Could be for 9x but I don't care too much about that. So it looks like requirements for TLS 1.2 should be OK, unless I've missed something.

1 minute ago, docR said:

New Moon / Pale Moon does have some amazing themes, so I'll tip my hat there yeah.

Actually, I don't theme my New Moon at all, I just use it as is.

I'm kind of a vanilla guy, I use KernelEx on W2K but I usually like things themed the default way.

1 minute ago, docR said:

Agreed, MailNews (forked from Interlink) is pretty great. Even has bidirectional Google Calendar support.

I use Microsoft Exchange for my calendars, but I have a calendar feed subscription on those published so they are read only in MailNews.

Ironically Outlook doesn't support multiple calendars in the righthand pane natively but TB/derivatives do, which is a laugh. When I need to edit stuff in my calendar I'll open up Outlook 2010 on W7+ for that.

1 minute ago, docR said:

Very interested in this IE8 CSS theme though. I modded Aris' script to look a bit like IE7 and Firefox 3.6.

Can't remember quite where it came from, I think it was from reddit which I don't usually use, but it showed up in a search result. I saved it in a folder called "IE8_aero" so maybe look for that?

I honestly did it more to see what it was like in Windows 10; I haven't gotten rid of but I rarely use that Firefox so that's mainly why. I was having some issues with a few sites in Iron 70 which is why I looked into FF, but then those sites started behaving again, so I forgot about it. Main reason being is that New Moon, Firefox, etc. all use more memory than Iron. Iron seems to use the least memory, except maybe Internet Explorer in certain scenarios.

6 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

I use Microsoft Exchange for my calendars, but I have a calendar feed subscription on those published so they are read only in MailNews.

Ironically Outlook doesn't support multiple calendars in the righthand pane natively but TB/derivatives do, which is a laugh. When I need to edit stuff in my calendar I'll open up Outlook 2010 on W7+ for that.

That's pretty ironic, given Microsoft's reputation for being the 'enterprise' solution. It was used in my prior workplace too. I have very little experience with Exchange though.

Thunderbird is pretty powerful, shame Mozilla doesn't invest further into it. Really enjoying Interlink/MailNews though. The UI feels like Thunderbird 3.1, but with all the creature comforts found in newer versions.