Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel

WinClient5270

Thanks to those who've provided new additions so far. Added BeamNG.Drive 0.16 and later (0.15.0.6 is last version for vanilla Vista SP2), and Chromium versions 53-73.

Has anyone tested other Chromium forks, such as Opera? I presume those would work as well, as long as what they're based on falls within the Chromium versions outlined above.

Edited by WinClient5270

3 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Has anyone tested other Chromium forks, such as Opera? I presume those would work as well, as long as what they're based on falls within the Chromium versions outlined above.

Well i tried Opera 49 around a week back , it opens but nothing loads , just like how chrome 51 used to behave on Vista

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, Windows 2000 said:

Could newer nvidia gpu drivers work by any chance? Has anyone tested them or shall I have that privilege :roll1:

Honestly, so far that project seems like a pure miracle.

Doesnt work :( i tried 372.90 , 372.70 still remains the latest.

Chromium's certificate errors can be fixed aswell as addons with rootsupd. I don't know if i could distribute it here so i'll keep it to dms.

Here's a theme installed on Chromium 72:

unknown.png

This was not my find though, it was thanks to an user in discord.

Edited by Megadeth58

23 hours ago, Megadeth58 said:

Chromium's certificate errors can be fixed aswell as addons with rootsupd. I don't know if i could distribute it here so i'll keep it to dms.

Here's a theme installed on Chromium 72:

unknown.png

This was not my find though, it was thanks to an user in discord.

Here's the rootsupd from the source

http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/CorporateUtilities/rootsupd.zip

Edited by asdf2345

7 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/CorporateUtilities/rootsupd.zip

PS: leave the link text blank if you don't intend to put the title or whatever else in there that's not the actual link.

I'm highly confused, on my display, it says I posted exactly the same link as you, but when I click it, there's semicolon at the end of my link, but not on yours

Edited by asdf2345

6 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

Could newer nvidia gpu drivers work by any chance? Has anyone tested them or shall I have that privilege

Not yet, but I've just installed Vista on my i5-7200U laptop and I'm working on getting my Intel HD Graphics 620 drivers working. That work should also benefit those using other GPUs. Also keep an eye on the NTOSKRNL extender project as that seems to have added many functions and also compiles for Vista x64.

7 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I'm highly confused, on my display, it says I posted exactly the same link as you, but when I click it, there's semicolon at the end of my link, but not on yours

Two fields appear when you click Link, URL and Link text. URL is where it actually goes when you click it (the semicolon slipped there in your case), the link text is how you see it written on the screen. This field contained the correct URL, so it appeared normally on the screen, hiding the typo. If it was left empty, content of URL field would be used instead, so you'd see the semicolon right away.

Hit a little wall trying to run Chromium 72.

(edit) seems I needed to replace all corresponding dlls in system32, not just kernel32. User error.

vCXboKr.png

Edited by docR

2 hours ago, docR said:

Chromium 72

And look at that, Aero Glass is back. And it looks much better than the blue window borders in the last official versions.

Remember, Vista is not XP! ;)

Visual Studio Code 1.46 (based off of Electron/Chromium 78) is working, as is PassMark PerformanceTest 10.0 x64 (except for the DX12 part obviously).

37 minutes ago, win32 said:

And look at that, Aero Glass is back. And it looks much better than the blue window borders in the last official versions.

Yes! And also, unlike Firefox Quantum, H.264/AAC are working, and after noticing the slightly smoother fonts compared to other browsers, I noticed Directwrite font rendering is working also!

YJgs3Pq.png

HLt8Qsa.png

Edited by WinClient5270

I also find it amusing how that ominous "Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported" message is still shown when Chromium/Chrome are launched under anything below NT 6.1, despite them being dropped over 30 versions and 3 years ago. Google were sure keen on breaking XP/Vista support, but they made sure to let us know they weren't going to tolerate XP/Vista anymore. -_-

VWTjG6E.png