Unoffical Roytam1 Browser Installer - Project Thread

i430VX

Hello all. This post will be "more official" later, but I want to start my own thread for this project of mine, so news and details don't get lost in the main RT1 threads.

I will soon be bringing my browser installer up to "modern times" and renovating it to support all active/semiactive RT1 browser releases.
Also will be combing through and attempting to find any feature requests that were made in the past. From now on, please put such feature requests here.

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/17/2020 at 6:33 PM, i430VX said:

Hello all. This post will be "more official" later, but I want to start my own thread for this project of mine, so news and details don't get lost in the main RT1 threads.

I will soon be bringing my browser installer up to "modern times" and renovating it to support all active/semiactive RT1 browser releases.
Also will be combing through and attempting to find any feature requests that were made in the past. From now on, please put such feature requests here.

Hey @i430VX! Are you still working on this?

I forked your installer a while back so it would work systemwide and crossplatform unlike the original one which did not, at least not back in February. But maybe if you want to integrate some of those changes back upstream, that would help the community a bit.

I published my forked version here: https://w2k.phreaknet.org

I haven't repackaged it, all my changes are in Install.bat

I added a changelog at the top which hits on the main things I changed if you want to look at it. My modifications have made it work perfectly for my needs but I stopped there and am not adding to it for others, so if you want to integrate these changes that might be helpful.

Introducing version 4.00 preview 1!
-added credits page
-integrated changes by InterLinked (MSFN user Dylan Cruz)
-fixed bug with "quit and install nothing" option

More still to come before release!

This is a test build, with the changes just "slapped in there". I don't have time to test extensively as I am packing for a trip, but It is availible here: http://i430vx.net/files/rtb4test.exe

Edited by i430VX
fixed link.

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2020 at 11:15 PM, i430VX said:

Introducing version 4.00 preview 1!
-added credits page
-integrated changes by InterLinked (MSFN user Dylan Cruz)
-fixed bug with "quit and install nothing" option

More still to come before release!

This is a test build, with the changes just "slapped in there". I don't have time to test extensively as I am packing for a trip, but It is availible here: http://i430vx.net/files/rtb4test.exe

Cool! Glad you found those changes useful. I've been using that script with the tweaks I made since and it's been hum-de-dum. I owe it to you though for putting the foundation together! Great installer!

• 1 month later...

Introducing Version 4.00 Preview 1 Fix 1 of my Unofficial Roytam1 Browser Installer!

Change log: -Development is fully shifted to version 4 branch.
-Changed old references from "Interlink" to "MailNews"
-Updated Roytam1's hosting domain
-Fixed archive naming issue with MailNews/Borealis

As always, you can get it here: http://i430vx.net/files/XP/RoyTam%20Browser%20Installer.exe

2 hours ago, NoNameNeeded said:

Kind of pointless, since nothing is installed.

It seems to download some stuff to a temp folder which is deleted after the process finishes but no installed browser anywhere.

It is working completely fine for me in my non-conclusive testing.
Please explain:
-your system (particularly OS, user privelege level, system drive, and program directory) configuration
-build(s) you tried to install
-whether or not you can access http://o.rthost.win/ and http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/
and any other details of note.

I need more details to help you.

Edited by i430VX

Ok, the OS is Windows XP (with administrator privileges).

Everything seems to be working fine, I tried to download Serpent and even though it seems to be downloading something there is nothing anywhere. The temp files are probably automatically deleted, that's normal but there are no new files copied to the hard drive. Or I just don't know where they might have ended up.

1 hour ago, NoNameNeeded said:

Ok, the OS is Windows XP (with administrator privileges).

Everything seems to be working fine, I tried to download Serpent and even though it seems to be downloading something there is nothing anywhere. The temp files are probably automatically deleted, that's normal but there are no new files copied to the hard drive. Or I just don't know where they might have ended up.

It *should* be in the program files folder [basiliskx86 (or basiliskx64 if you chose the x64 build)] and there *should* be a shortcut to the browser on your desktop. Are either of those happening?

• 5 months later...

Firefox 52.9 ESR tells me your installer file "contains a virus or malware", and I have to override this to download it.
Malwarebytes says it's clean.
A false positive obviously, but just thought I'd mention it!
:)

Already known for a long time. Try reporting the false positive to whatever checking service firefox uses. I tried reporting the false positive to Microsoft SmartScreen a while ago, never got a response, never got the false positive removed. So if you do report it to whoever it is, Don't expect much to change.

Edited by i430VX