[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

7 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK, so I guess we leave this as it is then?

Do you still want to investigate whether any of the at present hidden functions work?

:dubbio:

Yep, that's it, the only thing missing is "sensible defaults" (or if you prefer "useful visible functions").

jaclaz 

Sorry for the delay, but I've now attached two lists.
One is a list of the offered control panel options after a default install.
The other is a list of the options offered when all the options in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay are set to "1".
This includes an assessment in most cases of whether they appear to work or not!
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Default Options.txt
All Options.txt

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

OK.

About your notes.

The "Button" tab needs - I believe - to be kept for other touchpads that have them. :unsure:

The Magnifier is activated (allegedly) by a "simple" gesture:

First tap two fingers and hold one finger on the pad while double tapping with the other finger. The magnifying glass will appear. Drag a finger on the pad to move and focus the magnifying glass on the desired subject. Tap a finger to terminate the function.Magnifying glass copies the selected screen image to the clipboard when function initialized.

The definition of "simple" must have changed since last time I checked it on the dictionary. ;)

About the "Click" functions (no matter if they work or not) here I can see a number of options for them.

Viewing them is triggered by the _ShowItem keys in SmartPad (not In SmartPadDisplay)

Then I have an additional "FreeTyping",

See images.

The "Device Control" is seemingly a setting allowing to have the touchpad always enabled at boot or either disabled or enabled (remembering how it was at shutdown).

Still. it seems like a few values in SmartPad do not produce any change in the items displayed:

Cover_Display
CursorSpeed_Display
EdgeSwipeWin8_Display

The last one is probably only available in Win8, OK.
The first one should be a function related to the opened/closed lid?
The second one is strange, maybe it "hooks" on the "normal" Mouse Cursor speed?

I am thinking on how to make an easy to use "option panel" :dubbio:

jaclaz

Clickpad1.GIF

Clickpad2.GIF

FreeTyping.GIF

Well I couldn't get the magnifier to appear whatever finger gymnastics I performed! :D
I guess perhaps it needs more than just the presence of ETDMag.exe in the program folder.
I set all the xxxx_ShowItem keys in the registry to "1".
Unfortunately, when I rebooted a lot of the ones in HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad had reverted to "0" again!
The ones in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPad had stayed at "1" but there is no difference in the control panel options or display.

The "Chick" function is still as before -

Click.thumb.jpg.160e3a6355f364b92ac8c178bf648927.jpg

The version under the "Multi-finger" tab is still completely empty!

51 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Well I couldn't get the magnifier to appear whatever finger gymnastics I performed! :D

Did you try an anti-clockwise cartwell on four fingers at precisely a quarter past nine in the evening? :dubbio::angel

Well, what I do here is to import in the Registry:
1) "your" HKCUElantechCleanInstall.reg
2) smartpaddisplay0x1.reg
3) smartpad_ShowItem0x1.reg

It should be reproducible there as well.

I am attaching a zip with the three files.

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I guess perhaps it needs more than just the presence of ETDMag.exe in the program folder.

Cannot say, regmon/filemon on ETDCtrl.exe should show something that is if you manage to replicate this "simple" gesture ;).

Maybe you need (I don't know, just guessing) tap enabled as a prerequisite.

If you (say) set ETDmag.exe as target of (say) 3 finger press, it should work, I tried running it by double clicking on the ETDmag.exe and it works, and reads the magnification and sizes set in the Registry by ETDaniconf.exe.

jaclaz

HKCURegfiles.zip

Edited by jaclaz

9 hours ago, dencorso said:

Did you try an anti-clockwise cartwell on four fingers at precisely a quarter past nine in the evening? :dubbio::angel

Naah, that only works on wednesdays (if there is a full moon) :buehehe:.

jaclaz

I merged your three files into the registry, and the "Clicking" display is now as you're seeing, and the single-finger setting does work to select the corner click functions, but I can't see what the top (non-selectable) function represents.
I guess that is the equivalent function for the "Button" function on touchpads that don't have two physical button switches.
The multi-finger version doesn't seem to work though, nothing happens no matter what it's set to.

Setting three finger tap to invoke the magnifier works fine.
There's no sign of the "Free Typing" function you're seeing.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Maybe the multi-finger version doesn't work on your specific hardware because of the way it has (or has not) "embedded" buttons.

Anyway, it remains a mess.

Look at what I can do here, all settings in \SmartPadDisplay set to 0 except:
TabUI_1F_Display=1
Click_Display=1

BUT if additionally:

TabUI_MultiFinger_Display=1
Click2F_Display=1

the same settings are divided in the two tabs as in before screenshots.

About FreeTyping, here I need:
1) TabUI_1F_Display=1
2) TabUI_MultiFinger_Display=1
3) TabUI_Additional_Display=1

besides of course:
4) FreeTyping_Display=1

If either of 

1) TabUI_1F_Display
2) TabUI_MultiFinger_Display

are set to 0, nothing is added in the "Additional".

It is crazy.

In the meantime I checked and these three values:
MultiFingerGesture_Display
ScrollControl_Display
CursorSpeed_Display

even if set to 1 do nothing with ETDAniconf.exe version 10.0.0.19 (older) not with the 11.0.0.7 (in use, from tp118w7.exe) but they actually display something in version  11.59.0.0 (from the Z115203-cab).

It has to be seen if their settings are actually taken by the ETDctrl.exe 11.0.0.13.

The second, third and fourth screenshot are with ETDAniconf.exe version 11.59.0.0.

The MultiFingerGesture_Display is a sort of "kill switch" for most (but not all) items in TabUI_MultiFinger_Display, affected  settings become grayed out.

The ScrollControl_Display switches between "Standard" and "Traditional" :w00t:

The CursorSpeed_Display seems the only useful ones (if it works). :unsure:

jaclaz

Clickpad3.GIF

115900only.GIF

115900only_2.GIF

115900only_3.GIF

Edited by jaclaz

I've still got all the SmartPadDisplay settings at "1" and I'm not seeing this!
Is it possible that others do actually have to be at "0" for some of the functions to actually display, as some settings are mutually exclusive?

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I've still got all the SmartPadDisplay settings at "1" and I'm not seeing this!
Is it possible that others do actually have to be at "0" for some of the functions to actually display, as some settings are mutually exclusive?

Sure. :yes:

When I say "it's a mess" it is because it's a mess.

The "conflicting setting" for "FreeTyping" can be (and it would be logical) "TP_Rejection" but - only as an example - you can have BOTH  if you remove other items :w00t:

A little (but not much) of the fault is mine as while experimenting I added a few Registry entries that are not used by ETDAniconf.exe or at least not in the version that we are using (from tp118w7.exe), but this is marginal.

The good news (which may also be seen as "bad" news :ph34r:) are that I managed - in order to simplify the testing - to make it complicated.

I put together a set of small batches (see also attached screenshot) as follows:
OneFinger.cmd <- SmartPadDisplay settings that affect One Finger Tab
MultiFinger.cmd <- SmartPadDisplay settings that affect Multi Finger Tab
Additional.cmd <- SmartPadDisplay settings that affect Additional Tab

ShowItemOne.cmd <- SmartPad\*ShowItem settings that affect One Finger Tab
ShowItemMulti.cmd <- SmartPad\*ShowItem settings that affect Multi Finger Tab
ShowItemAdd.cmd <- SmartPad\*ShowItem settings that affect Additional Tab

ShowALLItems.cmd <- that can be used instead of the three last ones above

Using these it is easy to explore different combinations.

Each one works the same way:
A0 sets all values to 0
A1 sets all values to 1
Tn toggles the status of item n 

I couldn't find the effect of value Zoom_STV_ShowItem (it is ONLY in ShowALLItems.cmd) :blushing:.

There are some "conflicts" between the three "main" Tabs keys:

TabUI_1F_Display
TabUI_MultiFinger_Display
TabUI_Additional_Display

i.e. - as an example - unless the TabUI_MultiFinger_Display is 0x1, the Additional Tab won't be populated :w00t:

So it is recommended to run in each of them A0 and then T1 to have a "functioning base", before experimenting with setting to 0x1 the various items and watching the effect.

Conversely this offers a new (convenient :unsure:) way to "start from fresh:

1) delete the   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad key :ph34r:
2) delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay key :ph34r:
3) Run OneFinger.cmd, (you will see on first run a number of errors, ignore them), A1 (or A0,T1)
4) Run MultiFinger.cmd, (you will see on first run a number of errors, ignore them), A1 (or A0,T1)
5) Run Additional.cmd, (you will see on first run a number of errors, ignore them), A1 (or A0,T1)
6) Run ShowALLItems.cmd, (you will see on first run a number of errors, ignore them), A1  (or A0)
7) Run ETDAniconf.exe and press the Set all default values button

The newly made:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay

will contain all the *needed* values (and those *needed* only)

jaclaz

TP_freetyping.GIF

Elan_cmds.zip

Yet again I am completely in awe of the amount of effort you're putting into this!
:worship:
However, surely if the settings to control the presence or absence or functions interact with each other, it's going to be incredibly difficult to determine what the maximum number of simultaneous working functions it's possible to have with this setup without a surely completely unjustifiable amount of time and effort?!
The problem as I see it is that we are using the files from driver version 11.4.14.1, but the installation routine is based on the INF file from driver version 11.5.20.3.
Now presumably an install using the INF from 11.4.14.1, if it worked, would only put into the control panel the functions with are supported by the files from 11.4.14.1.
By using the INF from 11.5.20.3, we have surely potentially added some functions which won't be supported and maybe lost some functions which would be.
Did we ever try just modifying the default INF from 11.4.14.1 to add support for my hardware, instead of using the 11.5.20.3 one?
If we didn't, I can't remember why we didn't do that. Surely all we actually need is an install of 11.4.14.1 which recognises my touchpad?

Well, this way (with the batches) we are offering the possibility to customize as much as possible the thingy.

The 6 (actually 7) batches are all the same single batch (cleverly written ;) ) with the relevant path/keys/values changed.

I am not at all preoccupied by the current .inf, the (very few) differences with the original one from 11.14.14.1 are all marginal and/or "wanted" or "needed", or, if you prefer, there are no notable/meaningful differences in the relevant sections of the 11.14.14.1 and 11.5.20.3 inf's.

What we need is only a "sensible" setup (your HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech saved as .reg) at a time when you are satisfied with the available settings (those that work) so that they can be "translated" into the .inf, from which at install time they will go into HKLM and from that become the "defaults" that will be applied in HKCU.

Give me some time, I am "mapping" your Default Options.txt and All Options.txt to the corresponding SmartPad and SmartPadDisplay values, but I have to re-organize them to make it readable/translatable to the settings in the .inf.

jaclaz

OK thanks.
Good to know that the options installed by default by the two versions' INFs are not that different.
I do wonder why some functions which actually work are not offered on a default install, presumably using either INF.

@Dave-H

I am almost there, only a bunch of values remain to be "categorized".

Can you please upload the latest-latest ETD.INF you used?

And please do also another test, delete (export them to .reg before, just in case) both:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\Pointstick

and:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\Pointstick

There should be no changes in the behaviour of the touchpad and driver.

jaclaz