[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

I don' t know it is possible that if the ETDSimpleUI.exe is called, also other files are called (and now they are missing). :unsure:

Or maybe the good guys @Elantech have the equivalent of REMming with a ";" the hardcoded entries and keep them all in the source, but at compile time they are not active anymore.

If you now rename ETDSimpleUI.exe to (say) ETDnotfound.exe, what happens?

If the behaviour is the same (Mouse properties open) it means that the reference to ETDSimpleUi.exe is just a "dummy" placeholder, at least in this build.

Still it remains "queer" as the 11.4.14.1 driver is coming from Lenovo, so also the Asus_UI.exe should be disabled.

After the above test, try renaming the ETDnotfound.exe to Lenovo.exe.

What happens now?

Another thing to try would be adding to the \Program Files\Elantech folder the ETDUI.cpl from Z11542

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Renaming the file to ETDnotfound.exe or Lenovo.exe still brings up the Mouse Properties.
Only naming it Asus_UI.exe seems to restore it to running from the icon, so that's the filename it seems to be pointing to, and nothing else.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Renaming the file to ETDnotfound.exe or Lenovo.exe still brings up the Mouse Properties.
Only naming it Asus_UI.exe seems to restore it to running from the icon, so that's the filename it seems to be pointing to, and nothing else.
:dubbio:

OK. :)

Another queer thing, as the 11.4.14.1 comes from Lenovo and actually includes the Lenovo.exe program, maybe then it is a key in the Registry that "switches" from one program to the other? :dubbio:

I'll check if I can find something in the .inf's.

Otherwise it would be (IMHO) advisable to leave the file (in source) as ETDSimpleUI.exe and change in the .inf:

ASUS_UI.exe = 1 -> ETDSimpleUI.exe=1

and 

ASUS_UI.exe,,,0x00000001 -> ASUS_UI.exe,ETDSimpleUI.exe,,0x00000001 ;We are using here ETDSimpleUI.exe from Samsung driver but rename it to ASUS_UI.exe

Or, maybe even better, if you can recall "which" driver in 8.1 tests (I will review the thread to see if by any chance you posted about it) managed to show the "mouse control panel added tab" we could see if it is reproducible in this driver, and downright remove the references above in the .inf (since the ETDSimpleUI.exe comes from another driver package and can be simply copied to the \Program Files\Elantech directory, renamed as ASUS_UI.exe. making it an option).

Another random question, the ETDSimpleUi.exe (as is or renamed as Asus_UI.exe) runs if double clicked (from Explorer in \Program Files\Elantech\ or it only runs from the taskbar icon? 

I know that it seems like I am nitpicking, mainly because I am actually nitpicking ;) but calling things with their names and documenting what is done has historically proved to be "better",

About the other tests, I also know that I sound like a bit (please read as "a lot") picky, but when it comes to removing things, I have always the fear :ph34r: to fall in the case of Chesterton's fence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton's_fence

jaclaz

It appears that I can run ETDSimpleUI.exe from anywhere and it seems to work fine, it can even find its associated video files wherever it's run from, I even tried running it from the root of the Windows 8.1 drive and it worked fine, with its videos and settings shown correctly.

IIRC pretty much all of the Elan drivers (as opposed to the Asus drivers) had the tab on the Mouse Properties.
If you remember, one of the sticking points was that the mouse was not appearing correctly there, just appearing as a "Standard PS/2 Mouse".

:)

Ok, I am still trying to understand how the "Lenovo.exe" is used/invoked, but the "Samsung" driver .inf (the 4.9.0.0 version from which the ETDSimpleUI.exe comes from) has an interesting section in the .inf (that is nowhere to be found in the "Asus" drivers).

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Control Panel Section
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ETD_ControlPanel.AddReg]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},,0x00000000,"Elan Control panel"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},,0x00000000,""
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},LocalizedString,0x00020000,""
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},InfoTip,0x00020000,"@%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDMcpl.dll,-5"

HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},System.ControlPanel.Category,0x00020000,"2"

HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}\DefaultIcon,,0x00020000,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDMcpl.dll,-2365"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}\shell\open\command,,0x00020000,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDSimpleUI.exe"

Maybe the key "Lenovo part" is this one:

[Lenovo_System.AddReg]
HKCR,CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}\InProcServer32,,%REG_EXPAND_SZ%,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDMcpl.dll"
HKCR,CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}\InProcServer32,ThreadingModel,%REG_SZ%,"Apartment"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved",{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0},%REG_SZ%,"Lenovo"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\Mouse\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ETD",,%REG_SZ%,"{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}"
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,ETDCtrl,%REG_EXPAND_SZ%,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDCtrl.exe"

To be compared to what we have in ETD_XP.inf

[ETD_System.AddReg]
HKCR,CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}\InProcServer32,,%REG_EXPAND_SZ%,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDMcpl.dll"
HKCR,CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}\InProcServer32,ThreadingModel,%REG_SZ%,"Apartment"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved",{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0},%REG_SZ%,"ELAN Control Panel"

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\Mouse\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ETD",,%REG_SZ%,"{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}"
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,ETDCtrl,%REG_EXPAND_SZ%,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDCtrl.exe"

Somehow the ETDMcpl.dll comes out again.

Can you try, after having added the ETDMcpl.dll to the \Program Files\Elantech\ folder (and having there ETDSimpleUi.exe) to run this .inf:

; *****************************************
; ****   test_samsung   ****
; INF created with the help of WillyPad.
; Freeware from Snoopy 81

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"       

[DefaultInstall.ntx86]
AddReg=ETD_ControlPanel.AddReg

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},,0x00000000,"Elan Control panel"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},LocalizedString,0x00020000,""
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},InfoTip,0x00020000,"@%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDMcpl.dll,-5"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},System.ControlPanel.Category,0x00020000,"2"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}\DefaultIcon,,0x00020000,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDMcpl.dll,-2365"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}\shell\open\command,,0x00020000,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\ETDSimpleUI.exe"

[STRINGS]
TargetDir        = "Elantech"

and see if it changes anything?

You can later delete the two keys:

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}

HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}

manually in Regedit.

jaclaz

Back a few (several) posts:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1180835

Try playing with:

HKLM,%HKLMRootPath%"\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",UI_Theme,%REG_DWORD%,4 ; 0 = Mcpl UI, 1 = Animation UI, 2 = Dell UI, 3 = Dual Mode, 4 = Simple UI, 5 = ASUS UI

jaclaz

Sorry for the delay in responding.
I tried your INF, and I now have an unlabelled icon in the Windows Control Panel which invokes the Elan simple touchpad control panel.
I assume that was the intended result.
Double clicking the Asus icon in the system tray still just invokes the Mouse Properties.

I tried the various options on that registry key, with the following results (it was set to 5) -

0 - Double clicking the system tray icon still invokes the Mouse Properties, but the Elan tab is now there and functional. Clicking "options" brings up the full Elan control panel, but changing its settings appears to do nothing.

1 - Appears to be the same result as 0.

2 - Double clicking the system tray icon now produces a Mouse Properties window that has a "Dell Touchpad" tab at the very left, showing a picture of a touchpad, which makes it look completely different when first invoked! The picture is a link, and there is also some link text ("Click to change Dell Touchpad settings"). They may well link to the same thing, but neither of them do anything when clicked. Closing the Mouse Properties now throws a memory access error from RunDLL32.exe.

3 - Double clicking the system tray icon now produces a Mouse Properties window that has a "UltraNav" tab at the very right. There are settings for "TrackPoint" and "Touchpad". Trackpoint if you remember is the strange button in the keyboard that according to RainyShadow some people think resembles part of the female anatomy! Obviously I don't have that. Selecting the "Touchpad" options brings up a message that it can't find ETDAniConf.exe, so now we know what that file is for! Putting that in the Elantech folder results in the settings button bringing up yet another Elan control panel, but again it appears to be non-functional, in that changing its settings does not actually change the "live" settings.

4 - Double clicking the system tray icon just brings up the normal mouse properties again, as being set to 5 did.

Interesting!

:yes:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry for the delay in responding.
I tried your INF, and I now have an unlabelled icon in the Windows Control Panel which invokes the Elan simple touchpad control panel.
I assume that was the intended result.
Double clicking the Asus icon in the system tray still just invokes the Mouse Properties.

What do you mean "unlabelled" icon?

Blank?

If yes, is that with or without the ETDMcpl.dll?

It seems to me like the icon(s) are taken from that file.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I tried the various options on that registry key, with the following results (it was set to 5) -

0 - Double clicking the system tray icon still invokes the Mouse Properties, but the Elan tab is now there and functional. Clicking "options" brings up the full Elan control panel, but changing its settings appears to do nothing.

1 - Appears to be the same result as 0.

2 - Double clicking the system tray icon now produces a Mouse Properties window that has a "Dell Touchpad" tab at the very left, showing a picture of a touchpad, which makes it look completely different when first invoked! The picture is a link, and there is also some link text ("Click to change Dell Touchpad settings"). They may well link to the same thing, but neither of them do anything when clicked. Closing the Mouse Properties now throws a memory access error from RunDLL32.exe.

3 - Double clicking the system tray icon now produces a Mouse Properties window that has a "UltraNav" tab at the very right. There are settings for "TrackPoint" and "Touchpad". Trackpoint if you remember is the strange button in the keyboard that according to RainyShadow some people think resembles part of the female anatomy! Obviously I don't have that. Selecting the "Touchpad" options brings up a message that it can't find ETDAniConf.exe, so now we know what that file is for! Putting that in the Elantech folder results in the settings button bringing up yet another Elan control panel, but again it appears to be non-functional, in that changing its settings does not actually change the "live" settings.

4 - Double clicking the system tray icon just brings up the normal mouse properties again, as being set to 5 did.

Interesting!

Yep, breaking down and translating the possible settings they should mean. more or less:

0 = Mcpl UI <- uses *somehow* ETDmcpl.dll

1 = Animation UI <- uses *somehow* ETDaniconf.exe

2 = Dell UI <- uses *somehow* DellTpad.exe (or something like that)

3 = Dual Mode <- ?? but from what you report it is something that uses *something* for the trackpoint and ETDAniconf.exe for the smartpad

4 = Simple UI <- uses *somehow* ETDSimpleUI.exe

5 = ASUS UI <- uses *somehow* Asus_UI.exe

So, you need to re-explore each options after having added (temporarily) to the \Program Files\Elantech folder all the files that we have for the moment excluded (coming from 11.4.14.1):

ETDAniconf.exe
ETDApi.dll
ETDCmds.dll
ETDApi32.dll
ETDCtrlHelper.exe
ETDGesture.exe
ETDIntelligent.exe
ETDMcpl.dll
ETDService.exe
ETD_DLL.dll

AND the (from Z11521)

ETDUI.cpl

AND you need BOTH:
ETDSimpleUI.exe <- (from Samsung 4.9.0.0 driver) as itself
ETDSimpleUI.exe <- (from Samsung driver) renamed to Asus_UI.exe (OR - again temporarily - the Asus_UI.exe from - say - 11.5.20.3 and - probably the asgesture.dll)

as it is possible that some of these are part of the "chain" that currently does not "work", like the "0" and "1" choices.

The "2" and "3" we don't actually need/want to know.

The "4" is the most interesting one to explore, as it seems to be the "correct" way to use the ETDSimpleUI.exe,

whilst the current "5" using the ETDSimpleUI.exe renamed to Asus_UI.exe is a "hack".

jaclaz

The icon in the Windows Control Panel has the correct image, but no text underneath it as it should have.
Hovering the cursor over it does produce a popup saying "Customize the Smart-Pad Multi-finger Setting".
ETDMcpl.dll is in the Elantech folder.

I'll check out the other options and get back to you later on.
I've copied the necessary files.
The asgesture.dll file doesn't seem to exist in 11.5.20.3, so I've taken it from 11.5.2.1, along with its associated Asus_UI.exe file.
I have to say that the Asus control panel is now running a huge amount better with those files, to the extent that I'd now be happy to use it!
There are some settings which the Elan simple control panel does not include.

Edited by Dave-H
Additions

29 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The icon in the Windows Control Panel has the correct image, but no text underneath it as it should have.
Hovering the cursor over it does produce a popup saying "Customize the Smart-Pad Multi-finger Setting".
ETDMcpl.dll is in the Elantech folder.

I'll check out the other options and get back to you later on.
I've copied the necessary files.
The asgesture.dll file doesn't seem to exist in 11.5.20.3, so I've taken it from 11.5.2.1, along with its associated Asus_UI.exe file.
I have to say that the Asus control panel is now running a huge amount better with those files, to the extent that I'd now be happy to use it!
There are some settings which the Elan simple control panel does not include.

Oh, I see, and if you open the Control Panel and choose to see its contents as "details" you have no "name" (on the left near the small icon) while you have "comments"on the right?

For *some reasons* the key is not assigned a value in the .inf entry (maybe it is taken from somewhere else in the process of a "real" install).

Anyway open with Regedit:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}

And assign value to:

LocalizedString

Let's say "dave's Elan CPL" (without double quotes) and everything should be cool again. 

About asgesture.dll, like the other files, you can only understand if it is *needed* if you compare how the thingy works with and without it, but specifically I presume that is not needed if not som eexoteric three/four finger swipe 'n tap gesture is set.

jaclaz

Yes, in details view it was exactly as you said.

Adding that string to the registry has given it a title.

I don't think later versions of the Elan driver had a Windows Control Panel icon anyway, only the earlier ones did.
The later ones get to the settings via the Mouse Properties tab, so instead of the system tray icon directly invoking the touchpad control panel, as the Asus drivers do, it invokes the Mouse Properties and you then have to go the Elan tab and select "Options". A rather more roundabout way of doing it, I'd much rather that double clicking the icon brought the touchpad control panel straight up!

The very latest Asus Smart Gesture drivers, which I've used on 8.1, do have a Windows Control Panel icon again, so there seems to be no consistency as to whether they do or don't, I guess it depends on different manufacturers' specifications for their customisations of the drivers.

OK, with all the files in place, the results of the different registry settings were -

0 -Double clicking the system tray icon runs Asus Smart Gesture (Asus_UI.exe). The Mouse properties has the Elan tab, and selecting "options" runs a complex non-functional Elan control panel.

1 - Double clicking the system tray icon runs Asus Smart Gesture (Asus_UI.exe). The Mouse properties has the Elan tab, and selecting "options" runs a simpler non-functional Elan control panel.
(This may have happened before as well, but I didn't notice that the two control panels were different!)

2 - Double clicking the system tray icon runs Asus Smart Gesture (Asus_UI.exe). The Mouse properties has a "Dell Touchpad" tab which seems to be non-functional (dead links as before). Still a memory exception from RunDLL32.exe when it's closed.

3 - Double clicking the system tray icon runs Asus Smart Gesture (Asus_UI.exe). The Mouse properties has an "UltraNav" tab. The "Trackpoint" section settings button brings up a simple Trackpoint control panel, the "Touchpad" settings button brings up another instance of the simple Elan control panel as in "1". Still non-functional, settings are not changed by it although the UI says they are.

4 - Double clicking the system tray icon runs Asus Smart Gesture (Asus_UI.exe). The Mouse properties has a "Touchpad" tab (Samsung branded). The "options" button brings up the ETDSimpleUI.exe control panel, which is functional.

5- Double clicking the system tray icon runs Asus Smart Gesture (Asus_UI.exe). No extra tabs on the Mouse Properties.

So now the system tray icon always brings up the Asus Smart Gesture control panel.

Yep, and what happens when you remove the Asus_UI.exe but set the key to 4?

The ElanSimpleUI should come up, either directly or via the mouse control panel "touchpad tab".

If the latter, try removing the other added files from \Program Files\Elantech (leave the ETDMcpl.dll), one by one, until the mouse control panel "touchpad tab" disappears, so we'll know which file is responsible for that (unless it is directly the ETDUIsimple.exe).

Then, set the key to 5, re-add the Asus_UI.exe and the other removed files and try this .inf:

; ****   test_asus_UI   ****
; INF created with the help of WillyPad.
; Freeware from Snoopy 81

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"       

[DefaultInstall.ntx86]
AddReg=ETD_ControlPanel.AddReg

HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266},LocalizedString,0x00020000,"Touchpad Settings"
HKCR,CLSID\{3EA22083-D5BF-411b-A6D6-A27541794266}\shell\open\command,,0x00020000,"%ProgramFiles%\%TargetDir%\Asus_UI.exe"

[STRINGS]
TargetDir        = "Elantech"

So that you have a Control Panel link also for the Asus settings.

Again, start removing files until *something changes*.

And yet another experiment, what happens if you double click on the ETDUI.cpl?

Maybe it is the simple (or complex) non-functional control panel you saw when the key was set to 0 or 1 (I suspect that it uses "other" Registry paths).

Same - more or less - goes for ETDAniconf.exe, for *some reasons* it seems to be using the HKCU (as opposed to the HKLM) hive.

Try, create in registry the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\OtherSettings
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\Smartpad

then double click on ETDAniconf.exe and click on the left button on "set default values" (or whatever that comes out in English), then check the contents of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\Smartpad

As a side note, it seems like the asgesture.dll is only called by the ETDGesture.exe.

jaclaz

Small update.

The added "Elan" tab to the "Mouse" Control Panel should be this Registry Entry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}

Try deleting it (if you have it).

Then open the Mouse Control Panel.

No "Elan" Tab.

now, save this as .reg and import it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\
  00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,45,00,6c,00,61,00,6e,00,74,00,65,00,63,00,68,00,5c,00,\
  45,00,54,00,44,00,4d,00,63,00,70,00,6c,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]

"{0066D4B3-8DE0-4D08-AA83-EDD50E2431F0}"="ELAN Control Panel"

Open the Mouse Control Panel

The Elan tab should be there alright.

jaclaz