[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, I'll do the tests on XP first then, but surely I cannot install 11.5.20.3 with its setup.exe (step 8) on XP, only with the INF?
Also, your steps 4 and 6 are the same, if I've set up TrackWinInstall as specified in step 5, which I have, presumably I can ignore step 4?
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

22 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I'll do the tests on XP first then, but surely I cannot install 11.5.20.3 with its setup.exe (step 8) on XP, only with the INF?
Also, your steps 4 and 6 are the same, if I've set up TrackWinInstall as specified in step 5, which I have, presumably I can ignore step 4?

Sure you can, using the Setip approach (as you already did and successfully)

Yes, please ignore #4.

To re-cap:

1) at some time you installed from the Z115203-cab in XP with the .inf and (after you replaced the "key" files with those from tp118w7) the driver worked BUT changed settings were "volatile".

2) then, at some other time you installed the Z115203-cab in XP using the "added" Setup.exe from tp118W7 renamed to Setip.exe and (after you replaced the "key" files with those from tp118w7) the driver worked AND changed settings BECAME persistent.

So, since the replacing part was the same in both cases you don't really need to do the replacing of files (which is the same in both cases), you only need to
1) install the 115203-cab in XP via the .inf
2) install the 115203-cab in XP via the Setip approach

If any difference is found by the tracking/tracing, that could be enough.

There is still the possibility that you need to do the actual replacing AND a reboot for the *magic* to happen, but if it is already found in the above simpler test, there is no need to go all the way through the replacing and reboot.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
As you've seen I'm sure, thanks to @RainyShadow I also now have Soft Organiser Pro to deploy if necessary.
:)
Quick Update -
On trying to remove the driver in Add/Remove Programs on XP, it just said that an error occurred, so those two "Uninst/Un_inst" files were needed after all!
I replaced them back in the Elantech folder and it came good.

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

10 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
As you've seen I'm sure, thanks to @RainyShadow I also now have Soft Organiser Pro to deploy if necessary.

Sure :), I also just bought a new Aston Martin should my old Opel Vectra (Vauxhall for you ;)) fail to start tomorrow morning :yes:.

jaclaz

I've already run into a problem here!

I was assuming that I needed to do the INF install of 11.5.20.3 from the "Frankendriver" folder, but that wouldn't work, it got to the end and then said that it couldn't find a file, and aborted.
I tried again using the unmodified 11.5.20.3 folder, and got the same result!
Apart from the extra "setip.exe" file in the Frankendriver folder, the number of files in the two folders is the same, I can't see any files missing.
Any idea what's wrong? Needless to say there seems to be no clue as to which file the installer "can't find"!

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Needless to say there seems to be no clue as to which file the installer "can't find"!

Try again while having FileMon (or ProcMon) monitor the filesystem access, it should be easy to spot.

I checked with filemon and couldn't find anything conclusive reported.
Anyway, I rebooted again and tried again, and this time it worked!
I'm none the wiser what the original problem was, but at least it worked eventually!
I now have the driver in the condition where it's working but losing the settings when the system is rebooted.
I'm now profiling the system.

OK, here's the differences between the two snapshots.

The first with a driver installation from the INF file which doesn't save the settings over a reboot, and the second with the driver fully working.

It certainly looks as if some relevant registry entries were added by the second "setip" install.

TrackWinInstallDifferences.txt

Hmmm.

I find it hard to believe that nothing changed in the \%program files%\Elantech\ folder if there were changes in:

D:\WINDOWS\System32\DrvStore\etd_E13DCF8481E89626AF6C254EEF671D041882CD85\

Anyway, no particular changes in the Registry (that make sense).

Attached is a "filtered" version of the file you posted.

Unless I missed something (which is well possible) the added keys/values are:

Registry value added    0    HardwareID0_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID0_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID0_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID0_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID0_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID0_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID1_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID1_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID1_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID1_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID1_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID1_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID2_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID2_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID2_Aft    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID2_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID2_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID2_Bef    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID_After_TimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID_After_TimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID_After_TimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID_Before_TimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID_Before_TimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    HardwareID_Before_TimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
Registry value added    0    InstallTimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech
Registry value added    0    InstallTimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech
Registry value added    0    InstallTimeStamp    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech

and the changed ones are:

Registry value changed    2    Drag_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Registry value changed    2    InstallDir    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Elantech
Registry value changed    2    InstallDir    HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Elantech
Registry value changed    2    InstallDir    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech
Registry value changed    2    InstallDir    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech
Registry value changed    2    LastSuspendTime    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\DeviceMsg
Registry value changed    2    Rotation_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Registry value changed    2    SC_H_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Registry value changed    2    SC_V_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Registry value changed    2    Tap_One_Finger_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Registry value changed    2    Tap_Two_Finger_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad
Registry value changed    2    Zoom_Enable    HKU\S-1-5-21-1801674531-1604221776-299502267-1003\Software\Elantech\SmartPad

which at least from their name don't seem like relevant.

jaclaz

1st_attempt_filtered.txt

The reason why no changes were detected in the Elantech folder was that I had to restore it to get the driver working again after I ran setip.exe.
To get it working in its "working but not saving settings" state I had replaced the files in that folder with the ones from 11.4.14.1 before I did the first snapshot.
After I ran setip.exe it replaced those files with the non-working versions again of course, so the quickest way I thought to get it fully working for the second snapshot was just to restore the folder back to as it was before with the 14.4.14.1 files in it, so the second snapshot saw no changes there.
As I thought we were only looking for registry changes, I assumed this would not matter.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

The reason why no changes were detected in the Elantech folder was that I had to restore it to get the driver working again after I ran setip.exe.
To get it working in its "working but not saving settings" state I had replaced the files in that folder with the ones from 11.4.14.1 before I did the first snapshot.
After I ran setip.exe it replaced those files with the non-working versions again of course, so the quickest way I thought to get it fully working for the second snapshot was just to restore the folder back to as it was before with the 14.4.14.1 files in it, so the second snapshot saw no changes there.
As I thought we were only looking for registry changes, I assumed this would not matter.

Yep, but it is strange - at first sight - that the files in the driverstore were added/changed, unless you also replaced the files there, that folder should be - I believe - only modified by the installing (either via. inf or via Setup/setip) :dubbio:

From the results it seem like apart from a few files - corresponding to the "needed" files you found out earlier, that were "changed", all the other ones were "added".

Anyway, right now you have a working driver that also "keeps" settings, right?

Make a copy (export to .reg) of the whole:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\
say to Elantech_saving_OK.reg

then make another copy (export to .reg) of only the:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\OtherSetting
say to Elantech_OtherSetting_saving_OK.reg

Try re-installing the driver via the .inf WITHOUT uninstalling it via ETDUn_inst.exe NOR in ANY OTHER way (i.e. from the current condition of working and saving setting driver just go to device manager and update driver/have disk), then replace the usual files from 11.4.14.1, that from what I can understand are:

ASUS_UI.exe
ETDApix.dll
ETDCmds.dll
ETDCtrl.exe
ETDFavorite.dll
ETDUn_inst.exe
ETDUninst.dll

and the ETD.sys

Two possible results:
1) the driver having been "overinstalled" has still the capability to save settings (after a reboot, etc.)
2) the driver having been "overinstalled" has lost the capability to save settings

If #1 it should definitely mean that there is nothing in the .inf that "removes the magic"
If #2 it should definitely mean that there is something in the Setup/setip.exe, that "creates the magic" at install time and that is outside "normal" Registry.

Still if #2, the counter-test is to:

Make a new copy (export to .reg) of the whole:
say to Elantech_saving_NOT.reg 

then make another new copy (export to .reg) of only the:

then, as a first step re-import the previous Elantech_OtherSetting_saving_OK.reg and see what happens (a reboot/logout/login might be necessary).

If the driver still doesn't save settings, re-import the previous Elantech_saving_OK.reg and see what happens (a reboot/logout/login might be necessary). 

If the driver still doesn't save settings, the "magic" is not in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\ and must be looked for elsewhere.

jaclaz

After an in-place install on the working driver with the INF (from the "Frankendriver" folder) the settings are still being saved OK, so whatever change "setip.exe" made, it wasn't undone.

Good. :)

So you can try deleting the :

what happens?

If you can still "keep" the settings, try deleting the whole:

before or later likely either the driver won't work anymore or however you won't be able to change settings.

At this point try again "overinstalling" via the .inf.

What happens?

If by any chance the driver works again and keep settings, the "magic" is not in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\,

but if it doesnt', make the second set of files:

13 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Make a new copy (export to .reg) of the whole:
say to Elantech_saving_NOT.reg 

then make another new copy (export to .reg) of only the:

then, as a first step re-import the previous Elantech_OtherSetting_saving_OK.reg and see what happens (a reboot/logout/login might be necessary).

If the driver still doesn't save settings, re-import the previous Elantech_saving_OK.reg and see what happens (a reboot/logout/login might be necessary). 

If the driver still doesn't save settings, the "magic" is not in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\ and must be looked for elsewhere.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz