[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, I reinstalled 11.5.20.3, and it was working fine.
I then substituted all the exe and dll files that were in 11.2.2.1 for their equivalents in the Program Files\Elantech folder.
It still works!
The only thing that popped up on boot was that ElanTPCfg.exe had performed an illegal operation and had to be closed, but the driver is still working.
That's a bit of a breakthrough I hope!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Looked in the event logs about the failure of ElanTPCfg.exe.
The log says -

Faulting application name: ElanTPCfg.exe, version: 1.0.87.1, time stamp: 0x558cc4a5
Faulting module name: ETDApi.dll, version: 11.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x5215dd50
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000012e7
Faulting process ID: 0x66c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61ff5e55c8521
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ElanTPCfg.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Elantech\ETDApi.dll
Report ID: 2e3d3ef1-8be9-11ea-a458-40167e954b3b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I suspect this is something to do with the Asus hotkey which enables and disables the touchpad.
It isn't working, but that wouldn't be an issue on XP of course.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I suspect this is something to do with the Asus hotkey which enables and disables the touchpad.
It isn't working, but that wouldn't be an issue on XP of course.

Interesting.  Do you think maybe that has something to do with the trackpad being dead on XP when certain drivers are installed?

c

Possibly, but I've always assumed that a dead touchpad is because there's no working mouse driver installed for it.
The touchpad is usually dead if there's an error on the mouse driver in Device Manager.
:)

Wait a minute, this:

C:\Program Files\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ElanTPCfg.exe

is nowhere in the driver files we have been seeing till now?

Is it part of another driver, right?

Anyway, now the "problem" files (at least in theory) are :

ETDApix.dll
ETDCoInstaller.dll <- is this file actually used at all? Most probably not, only in the "original" "Medion" install
ETDDeviceInformation.exe <- NOT needed
ETDTouch.exe <- hopefully not *needed*

If you try to repeat what you have done more or less successfully on 8.1 on XP, very likely you will find an obstacle with ETDApix.dll :dubbio:

Now it is almost the time to try replacing (on 8.1) the ETDApix.dll (which now is either version  11.43.5.3  or version 11.32.0.0) with the latest we have with 5.1, that should be 10.0.0.98 from Z11521.

BUT the "Samsung 4.9.0.0" has a ETDApix.dll version 10.0.0.102, which may also be tried.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I was puzzled by ElanTPCfg.exe as well, I wasn't even aware it existed!
It's not part of any of the touchpad drivers, it's part of the "Asus ATK Package" which enables the hot keys on the keyboard to work.
It's actually pretty redundant with Windows 8.1 or 10 (don't know about 7) as their functionality seems to be built into the OS anyway to do things like volume control and muting and disabling the wi-fi and switching screens. Anyway, I'm not worried about it as I would probably live without that on XP anyway.

The ETDApix.dll was version 11.32.0.0.
I substituted it with 10.0.0.98, and there is no longer any icon in the system tray, so I can't use it to invoke the control panel.
If I run Asus_UI_Win8.exe, the control panel still appears and appears functional, but when the settings are changed there is no change to the touchpad behaviour.
Strangely it does change some of the registry settings, but not others. For instance, "tap enable" is set to 1 and seems to be fixed, changing that setting on the UI does not change it. However the "tap activate" setting below that setting does change the equivalent registry setting (although not the touchpad behaviour as far as I can see).

BUT, the tap to click function is still disabled! That's good, because that is what I want.
The registry setting says it's enabled but it isn't.
If that can be replicated on XP, that will do me fine!
:yes:

Did you replace ONLY the ETDApix.dll or did you "cold replace" ALL the .exe and .dll's?

If you replaced just the ETDApix.dll do try replacing also the other files taking them from the "Medion" drivers,

Can you try "cold replacing" also the .sys file (using the one from "Medion")?

Another one to try, first "as is" and then doing the same "Frankendriver" approaches seen till now.

http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/DriversForWin8/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_8_32_VER11566.zip

this has ETSApix.dll version 10.0.0.111 (which is the highest version number of the "10" series found till now).

More than that, at face value this has *everything* as 5.1 and the ETD0108 so it may even install to XP "as is" :dubbio:.

AND it is the only example till now of "mixed" files versions of the series "10" and of the series "11".

Attached the updated spreadsheet.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And yet another one, back to the past, a Lenovo one:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/hn/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g505s-notebook/downloads/ds035770

tp118w7.exe

In the .inf:

DriverDate        = "02/26/2013"
DriverVersion        = "11.4.14.1"

Haven't updated the spreadsheet, but ETDapix.dll is version 11.0.0.8, and the relevant files seem all 5.1, and "on the whole" (files dates) it seems midway between the Z11566 and the "Medion".

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Did you replace ONLY the ETDApix.dll or did you "cold replace" ALL the .exe and .dll's?

If you replaced just the ETDApix.dll do try replacing also the other files taking them from the "Medion" drivers,

Can you try "cold replacing" also the .sys file (using the one from "Medion")?

Another one to try, first "as is" and then doing the same "Frankendriver" approaches seen till now.

http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/DriversForWin8/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_8_32_VER11566.zip

this has ETSApix.dll version 10.0.0.111 (which is the highest version number of the "10" series found till now).

More than that, at face value this has *everything* as 5.1 and the ETD0108 so it may even install to XP "as is" :dubbio:.

AND it is the only example till now of "mixed" files versions of the series "10" and of the series "11".

Attached the updated spreadsheet.

jaclaz

Elantech_drivers_comparison.xls 89 kB · 0 downloads

I only replaced ETDApix.dll with the one from 11.5.2.1, I left the other files as they were.
I will try replacing the others as well.

UPDATE:
Replaced all the files, and the "tap to click" function is now back on again, and can't be turned off.
Otherwise the same.
:(

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Wait a minute.

We have another "breakthrough" with the set of Lenovo drivers I was listing.

Your reports continue to be confusing. :(

UPDATE:
Replaced all the files, and the "tap to click" function is now back on again, and can't be turned off.
Otherwise the same.

Really "all" files, or all the files BUT NOT the .sys? :dubbio:

Otherwise WHAT is the same as WHAT? :w00t:

I lose you at each of these vague, incomplete reports, it is really difficult for me to understand what you did and what effects came from what you did, I have to look back n posts, then interpreter what you mean, and maybe even then I am not getting what actually happened.

You need (of course if your intention is that I can understand them) in your reports to:

1) list the EXACT version of EACH file you are currently running
2) the EXACT behaviour of the touchpad (it works, it does not work)
3) what EXACTLY happens when changing the settings (and with which tool you are trying to change them, or directly via the Registry)

Anyway, get this new attached spreadsheet.

I haven't updated the "Second_Compare" sheet, but look at the third sheet. dates/versions seem to start making (loosely) some sense. :)

At the moment the best bet is on a new FrankenDriver with Z115203-cab as base and this Lenovo driver:

https://support.lenovo.com/at/en/downloads/ds100549

39z502wf.exe

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

So am I supposed to be using yet another driver now?

Have we aborted what we were doing before?

I replaced all the dll and exe files in 11.5.20.3 with those from 11.2.2.1.
I then replaced just the ETDApix.dll with the one from 11.5.2.1.
I then replaced all the exe and dll files with those from 11.5.2.1.
I was now going to try replacing the ETD.sys with the one from 11.5.2.1 as well and report back again when I'd done that.

Isn't that what you wanted me to do?!
If my reports as to the effects of each change are inadequate for you then I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't know what else I can tell you other than describing how the driver is now behaving after each change. If I say "no change" all I'm saying is that the behaviour other than anything that I specifically report as different is the same as it was the last time I reported.

I know you are doing what you believe is your best effort :) but you have to understand how I cannot see what you are doing not seeing what the effects are, anything that references "as before", "like the last time", etc. is confusing to me.

But no problem :), now you can follow the generic idea which is:
1) the files (as a whole) in Z115203-cab are the "lowest" version that actually install in Windows 8.1 "as they are"
2) BUT some (most) of the .dll's and .exe's in Z115203-cab are "6.0" (while they need to be "5.1" to work in XP)
3) we need to make a Frankendriver where the .inf (and the .cat and .sys, at least temporarily) come from Z115203-cab BUT all .exe's and .dll's are "5.1" 
4) an almost successful (or only partially unsuccesful, it depends how you look at it ;)) approach has been using the "5.1" files from "Medion" or "11.2.2.1", BUT - since even in the "Medion" or "11.2.2.1" a "key" file is Apix.dll, that is "6.0", we resorted to try using the latest we had, version "10.0.0.98" coming from Z11521
5) while you were doing the above tests, I searched for LENOVO drivers and found quite a few that are higher in version than the ones in the Z11521 (good), lower in version than the ones in Z115203-cab and "5.1"  and actually much nearer to the ones in version in Z115203-cab

The better probabilities with this Frankendriver is with the highest version of the .exe's and .dll's that are still "5.1", it is possible that, since "only" these files:

ETDApix.dll
ETDCmds.dll
ETDCtrl.exe
ETDCtrlHelper.exe
ETDDeviceInformation.exe
ETDFavorite.dll
ETDMcpl.dll
ETDService.exe
ETDUninst.dll
ETDUn_inst.exe
Setup.exe

are 6.0 in  Z115203-cab, it is enough to replace those with the corresponding ones in the highest version of the drivers that are still "5.1".

Till now those were coming:
ETDapix.dll -> version 10.0.98 from Z11521
All the others -> version 11.x from "Medion" or "11.2.2.1"

Now we have (check the "Links" sheet in the last attached spreadsheet) a Lenovo driver which is "11.4.38.2", actual .sys version 11.122.4.8 with an ETDApix.dll which is version 11.27.4.2 (much higher than the "best" we had till now, "10.0.0.98") but that is still "5.1".

Spreadsheet further updated attached, all previous versions deleted.

jaclaz

Elantech_drivers_comparison.xls

Edited by jaclaz

OK, thanks @jaclaz.

FWIW, doing the final file substitution, replacing the ETD.sys file from 11.5.20.3 with the one from 11.2.2.1 produced a disabled touchpad.
I thought it was dead, but it only needed re-enabling in the Mouse Properties tab.

Interestingly, the system tray icon had returned, but it was now the Elan-style one, not the Asus-style one as it was before. It was still "dead" though.
Also the Elan tab had reappeared on the Mouse Properties.
That at least indicates (I think) that the versions of ETD.sys are either "Elan versions" or "Asus versions".
I would suggest that it's highly possible that the Asus versions work on 8.1, and the Elan versions don't, perhaps because of tailoring to the hardware.
I think maybe we need to identify what the very earliest "Asus" version of ETD.sys is, as I suspect that no "Elan" version will talk to the hardware properly, which is one of the reasons that we've been having so many problems. That will have the best chance of working on XP, and if it doesn't, we may be doomed to failure.

Edited by Dave-H
Correction