[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

On XP.
Even if it doesn't work on 8.1, I'd try it on XP anyway, as sometimes the manufacturer disables the driver/control panel when an unsupported OS is detected.

Regarding the fix for SmartGesture 1.0.27 (I've linked above), we need to patch AsusTPApi.dll and copy Vista beta build 5048 versions of powrprof.dll and setupapi.dll, which include the missing functions.
If you do manage to get the package installed on XP, let me know the folder where AsusTPApi.dll is copied to.

Is QuickGesture.exe loaded during boot on Windows 8.1? This one it's harder to fix, as it uses Windows 8 Gesture API.

Edited by daniel_k

OK, SmartGesture_Win7_64_Z1027 appeared to install OK on Windows XP, which is a first as the MSI installers have always failed and rolled back before.
However, on boot I'm now getting "The procedure entry point ChangeWindowMessageFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.DLL", from QuickGesture.exe, followed by "The procedure entry point PowerSetActiveScheme could not be located in the dynamic link library POWERPROF.DLL" from AsusTPCenter.exe.
The Asus control panel will run, and the settings can be changed, but again this does not actually change the behaviour of the touchpad.
:(

Sorry!
There are two copies, one in D:\Program Files\Asus\Asus Smart Gesture\AsTPCenter\x86, and another one (presumably 64 bit) in D:\Program Files\Asus\Asus Smart Gesture\AsTPCenter\x64.
:yes:

Back again!
I've been working with @daniel_kvia PM, and I was doing other things yesterday (other computer problems, but I won't bore you with them here! :D).
I want to thank Daniel publicly for all his help, we tried several more options, but unfortunately ultimately didn't get anywhere.
At one point we had the same version of Asus Smart Gesture apparently installed happily on 8.1 and XP, but of course it worked on 8.1 but not XP.
One background program running on 8.1 (QuickGesture.exe) would not run on XP, and as far as I could see that was the only obvious difference.
That may have been a fatal difference of course!

So, @jaclazand everyone, where from here?
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

So, @jaclazand everyone, where from here?

I believe that the "ASUS Smart gesture" way is the "wrong" one, as it seems from all the evidence that the good ASUS guys took the already somehow botched code from the Elantech good guys and managed to worsen it (not very easy to do, I might say).

I think that the "correct" (hopefully) start point should be the "ASUS" (but actually Elantech) driver:
ASUS (in the .inf) 11.5.20.3 07/20/2015 actual.sys 11.165.5.11 from the MS update catalog.

This one:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1180923

Unless I lost something in the various attempts, this one works just fine in 8.1 but the .exe/.dll's have troubles on XP.

The Frankendriver created with that and the "SAMSUNG" base, failed.

Next would be another Frankendriver, still with the above .sys/.cat/inf but with the "11.5.09", this one:

DriverDate        = "07/29/2012"
DriverVersion        = "11.5.0.9"
actual .sys 10.0.0.164

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181362-xp-driver-for-amd-hd8180-graphics-and-elan-ps2-touchpad/?do=findComment&comment=1180979

as "base", which should be the same as:

http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z11509.zip

And we also have the "very near":

http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z11521.zip

We need daniel_k's assistance on possible ways to actually track the installation (and behaviour once installed) in order to troubleshoot the likely problems and - hopefully - chack/review if the building of the Frankendriver needs some other tricks.

Then this new Frankendriver should be tested on 8.1 first.

And - no offence intended, Dave_H :), but till now your reports have rarely gone beyond "it works" or "it doesn't work" + this or that side note, every time slightly different in contents.

We need IMHO to establish a "protocol" for reports, in the form of a list of things to check and report, and in this daniel_k's assistance would also be useful.

Additionally, and still IMHO, we need to remove *everything* that is not really-really needed from the former (ASUS (in the .inf) 11.5.20.3 07/20/2015 actual.sys 11.165.5.11) until it stops installing working in 8.1.

Then restore to the last minimal configuration that installs in 8.1 and completely trace it.

Then remove the corresponding items in the 11.5.0.9.

And finally attempt creating the new Frankendriver, that at this point should as minimal as it can be.

It is a lot of work and it will need some time (unless we - actually you - are exceptionally lucky).

Besides that, by comparing the differences between two of the files found on the japanese ftp, namely:

Touchpad_Elantech_UXseries_WinXP_32_Z10560.zip

Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z10590.zip

that are "very near" in versions we might understand what has changed from the "XP" and the "7" version.

But we need a sort of spreadsheet to check hopefully at a glance what the changes are between the various versions.

Give me some time and I will try and put together this base spreadsheet :).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks @jaclaz.

I'm sorry if I haven't been detailed enough in my failure reports, but apart from saying that I can't change any settings that actually change the behaviour of the touchpad, and reporting what Device Manager and the Mouse Properties tab (if it's present) are reporting as to the status of the device, I don't see what else I can say.

I'm sorry if I'm being thick, but it would definitely be a great help if you could tell be exactly what feedback you need.

I will now uninstall all the touchpad drivers from XP and 8.1, and make sure there's no traces of them left on the system, get rid of all the installation files I've been collecting again, which is getting very confusing, and I'll just keep the 11.5.0.9 and 11.5.20.3 versions of the Elan driver.
I'm sure you're right that there is certainly no point in pursuing any of the later Asus Smart Gesture drivers.
Unlike the earlier versions which seem to be just customised versions of the Elan drivers, the later ones seem to have been completely repackaged.

Thanks, Dave.
:)

43 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Even the Asus Smart Gesture versions which are based on MSI and CAB files?

...unless you are on unlimited traffic. But that doesn't help when the file or the whole server disappears.

Just move everything to some backup folder/drive. You may note the source of each package, so if you get instructed to download one of those, you just get it from the backup. Try to preserve original filenames.

btw. does anyone around here knows how actually an user program communicates with a loaded driver? WMI? Some "shared" memory? POKE + PEEK (lol)?

OK, I won't delete any of the downloaded installers I've still got.
I'll put those that I doubt we'll be using again away in a backup folder which I can delete when we're done.
:yes:

An app calls CreateFile to create a device handle by prefixing the driver filename with "\\.\", then talks to it with calls to DeviceIoControl.

See internals.cpp in the KernelEx source for an example.