We need to take Climate Change seriously

Dibya

7 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Today (after being inside for almost 2 weeks) somebody is going to take a few of us to the beach and I'm scared to death and in anxiety city. Yeah, not good at all. Working on it still as its a long process.

OMG ... awful!! All I could think about was getting home and now I'm happy its over, isn't that sick. I'm happy its quiet with my computer and alone :} At least I got to go to starbucks.

Anyway..

I'll likely stay clear going forward of this thread as I'm not all that political as I think they're all lairs anyway. I'm just little old me (mister blobfish) coming up for air every now and again. I haven't a clue what the world will be like in the future or even tomorrow, but get selfish and take care of yourself and your needs. We do what we can to live green, but I think because we feel its right thing to do by doing our part ... no matter how small or insignificant may be in the big picture.

Take good care everyone :)

Edited by XPerceniol

7 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

So, yes, better here than other horrible place and I'm just barely getting by and live a VERY humble lifestyle if I can even call this "living". Day-by-day and moment-by-moment is it.

Indeed, but @D.Draker's response was a classic fallacy of relative privation.

Ugh, I wanted to write a long post, but changed my mind. Maybe the short version...Monday's coming, so will have to go to work. Hundreds of kilometers turn into thousands, just for commuting. Have an old car from 2001, slowly being consumed by rust and engine occasionally not properly responding to gas pedal since it turned 20 years old, like something would artificially release it a bit. Then you actually release it and push it again and then it snaps back.

It won't last forever and 3 visits to a mechanic last year were stressful as it is, forget about finding someone who would be willing to commit to full restoration work and have the car there for who knows how long.

I don't go to vacations and practically have no life outside of work, so wouldn't call it "living" either. Just soldiering through existential dread.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Your image response about the one-way flight to the worst of the worst.

Well, looks like you liked it, hence the reaction. I just want to ask you , why many of you don't talk about any other countries as the main source of pollution ? Always US this , US that , US overconsumes and soon .

Why no talk about China ? Russia ? India ? Vietnam ? Only the "US is the 3rd world craphole in your book" (like you previusly wrote, which insults me , and I don't know whether it insults the other US members, but guess it should!),  and the US must be blamed for everything, inluding the climate , in your point of view ? So the image is for the enemies who are given the choice to leave and/or never visit the West/US so they won't be able to undermine our western countries from the within.

@D.Draker
I was expressing my opinion. If others' opinions insult you, then maybe it would be better for you to not participate in such discussions. I simply speak my mind on things I'm more familiar with. US is often enough in the news and in some places I lurk online, I can't help but notice American posters who are discontent with the way things are in their country. They also use the term "3rd world" in relation to it sometimes. Traitors, right? /s

The keyword "us third world country" is used often enough that the Google search engine suggests it, there are articles noting in which way it's backwards etc.

Take school shootings, for instance. There's a whole list. One of the guys who committed Columbine High School massacre apparently commented "It's going to be like...Doom". The computer class teacher let us play Doom all those years ago when we were kids after we were done with exercises. Who ended up shooting up the the school afterwards? Nobody.

Granted, that incident ended up with really high publicity, is only one of many and there is much more to the story, but seriously, knowing such things, how do you expect me to have a positive opinion? How do you put US in the same bucket as Ireland and Denmark, which, BTW, are the only two countries on your list of the best that are doing better than where I'm from - 🇸🇮 🇸🇮 🇸🇮 Slovenia 🇸🇮 🇸🇮 🇸🇮 - on the Global Peace Index.

Peace oughtta mean something on this crazy planet! One of the few leader boards that are worth competing on IMO.:cheerleader:

Edited by UCyborg
Grammar

@D.Draker
1 - I was expressing my opinion. If others' opinions insult you, then maybe it would be better for you to not participate in such discussions.

2 - I can't help but notice American posters who are discontent with the way things are in their country. They also use the term "3rd world" in relation to it sometimes. Traitors, right? /s

3 - The keyword "us third world country" is used often enough that the Google search engine suggests it, there are articles noting in which way it's backwards etc.

4 - Take school shootings, for instance. There's a whole list. One of the guys who committed Columbine High School massacre apparently commented "It's going to be like...Doom". The computer class teacher let us play Doom all those years ago when we were kids after we were done with exercises. Who ended up shooting up the the school afterwards? Nobody.

5 - How do you put US in the same bucket as Ireland and Denmark, which, BTW, are the only two countries on your list of the best that are doing better than where I'm from -  Slovenia - on the Global Peace Index.

6 - Peace oughtta mean something on this crazy planet!

1 - Expressing opinion is one thing and there are suitable words for it.  Calling one of the respected countries a "3rd world craphole" is an insult.

I bet you use an American CPU , not Slovenian ?

2 - "American posters who are discontent with "the way things are in their country". -LOL.

And you know this how ? How do you know "the way things are in their country" ?

3 - Google search engine is a commie propaganda machine , so no wonder it would insult America.

4 - School shootings ?!??! What does it have to do the climate topic We are talking about countries and their role in the polution ...

I once saw a russian "history" book for foreigners *from 60 years ago* and they promised *since the dawn of ages*

"America will be dead soon" , lol. Yet it stands.

5 - One's got to learn not to trust the TV. Doesn't look like Slovenia is doing good, judging by what you write how you live (don't own an AC , driving a car from 1991 and so on).

6 - Yep, and I do everything I can to defend it - fighting the orcs in Ukraine, I'm gonna go there for the second tour. And by saying sh*t about America you're helping them , not us

So which side are you on ?

P.S. 

I personally think you're a good member, but not when you insult us. 

I won't bother addressing your points. It's clear that you're a conflicting individual who's always looking for a fight, always dismissing or putting down others unless they speak exactly how you want to hear them. Impossible to converse with you like with a normal person. You're not worth my time.

I won't bother addressing your points. It's clear that you're a conflicting individual who's always looking for a fight, always dismissing or putting down others unless they speak exactly how you want to hear them. Impossible to converse with you like with a normal person. You're not worth my time.

Jesus Christ , I only asked you *politely* to stop insulting the United States and stay on the eco-topic but you switched to insulting me.

In your basket , I'm not "normal" simply because I don't insult the US, I see. 

2278476_0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Didn't watch the whole thing, it was a little while back and I saw a small part of it, it was an interview with one of the ex-presidents of Colombia, Andrés Pastrana Arango if I'm not mistaken. He said something along the lines that biggest threat to the environment being shrinking of rain forests to make space to plant coca. I'd have to find the interview and listen through it to be sure that was really what he said. Nobody mentioned something like that yet.

Another thing that sparked my interest, I had to get myself a new set of wheels and one of the new (to me) features is start-stop system. Apparently it's one of those things new cars in EU must be equipped with and it has to be set to enabled by default to pass all those emission regulations and stuff.

But what difference does it make? Found an interesting reading...https://unsealed4x4.com.au/why-stop-start-is-a-dumb-idea/...what do you think?

My regular everyday route has total 2 intersections with traffic lights, where in the worst case scenario, if timing is right, I'd wait for about max 15-20 seconds or so at each. Turning the engine off for such a short time doesn't make much sense to me. There's also a number of conditions that must be just right, otherwise it can happen that it turns off with a significant delay, eg. 5 seconds or turn off immediately, but restart again after 2 seconds. Then there's the factor of engine components wear, they may be better reinforced, but things wear out with time and use anyway, so why deliberately put more strain on it? Just my thoughts, I don't pretend to fully understand the big picture.

How suddenly everything has become about saving energy at every step, seems to be a constant theme on TV these days. "Just 1 degree Celsius less heat in the house will reduce consumption by x %". I come from a family where we're used to a bit lower temps and we're like, hey, we know that, tell that to the youngsters. New theme this week, they're reducing road lighting.

Edited by UCyborg
Hyperlink, typos

It was always clear that stop/start was a big picture thing and has nearly nothing to do with the individual. That is the primary failing of the article that takes the individual point of view, or the single car angle. It is entirely big picture and that aspect of whether it helps or hurts is what is important.

But for the individual, or "the selling point" for a person to buy or use this technology, it depends on a couple of things. First of all is the lifespan of the product. We may have been living in a world recently where people do not keep vehicles for a long period of time anymore and this shouldn't effect how technology is designed but we all have a feeling that it does. This stop/start thing may work well now, but will it work well in 6 years? How about 10 years?

I never wanted it because I live in a area where it gets cold. I know how regular cars work when it is cold and the start/stop tech always sounded like a recipe for disaster. I am glad that (at least for now) if you buy one of these cars, the dealer can disable that option for you.