We need to take Climate Change seriously

Dibya

On 6/13/2022 at 9:22 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Would seem "low IQ" to protest, in my opinion!

I am speaking as a US Citizen ...

Caution! You might accidentally insult the Greenpeace ecologists and BLM . And being older age , I'm pretty sure you might remember when the Soviet Union fell apart , Gorbachev released the secret documents where they acknowledged : the "green" movements were financed by the soviets to undermine the West and its economy and later the arabs joined and started to finance them too , in order to jack up the oil prices and whatnot. Seeing Russia is back to the good ol' soviet days (it actually never went away), I wonder does it have something to do with the current gas prices ? lol . I also wonder when/if some similar documents would be released regarding the BLM. The last sentence is off-topic of course , so please excuse me. 

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Wait , what ? Are you now irritated because I edited out something that could irritate you in the first place ? lol

Well, then please make a list of all things that could potentially irritate you, so I'd avoid them in the future.

I site the forum rules and view your mentioning of me directly as your "reason" for editing a post a VIOLATION of this rule.

7.b This community is built upon mutual respect. You are not allowed to flame other members. People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance. If you ignore the warning and keep on flaming, you will be banned without notice.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I site the forum rules and view your mentioning of me directly as your "reason" for editing a post a VIOLATION of this rule.

7.b This community is built upon mutual respect. You are not allowed to flame other members. People who do not respect personal opinions and/or personal work will be warned in first instance. If you ignore the warning and keep on flaming, you will be banned without notice.

So then why do YOU violate this very rule yourself and suggest (directly or indirectly) that someone who opposes or protests would seem "low IQ" ?

Is this what you call "respect" ?

And what about your recent rollup saying that I write "jibber jabber" posts ? Maybe this is "respect" in your opinion ?

"Jibber jabber is Incoherent and unintelligible rapid speech often in slang or patois. Used in the UK as a disparaging name for other languages such as French ..."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jibber%20Jabber

disparaging: [adjective] meant to belittle the value or importance of someone or something : serving or intended to disparage someone or something

What are you? Maybe of some "special/godly/holy" race , better than the others ? Higher value than the French ?

So this is you who don't respect and flame me on a daily basis.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:55 AM, D.Draker said:

Where do you see any signs of capitalism in the World ? It's gone.

I do feel like like a cog in a capitalist machine.

You know what, it doesn't even matter what it's called. Life is pointless and so is saving the environment. If people wanna drown in their own crap, who am I to stop them?

Sit back, relax, watch the candle burn out.

Edited by Tripredacus
image removed: language

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Sit back, relax, watch the candle burn out.

Yes, put on your seat-belt and prepare for a bumpy ride ahead. Otherwise would be falsehood to expect an easy cure. Unrealistic expectations will only lead to disappointment.

Indeed; at times, life just feels like one serious POS we have do endue day-after-day, but, please be aware of even the smallest of bright spots and let them swell, just like the lows, they will pas and don't chase them (the good or bad). Make catalog of the good ones and allow the bad ones to roll-away, as they (too) make up what you've become. Chase the highs or the lows and we become addicts either way (and I speak from personal experience on that one in many aspects).

Its how we as a "being" respond to the hardships of daily life when witnessing in full view the disharmony and suffering and ugliness of what we are witnessing around us. So long as were conscious, we can't just "tune out' and this is the struggle of being alive and awake. Being alive is hard work - without question - and its all too easy to allow to feel like giving up.

Remember, your job isn't to change the world (solely) - only what is within your control and sometimes that means taking care of your (own) needs. When the going gets rough, one needs to become selfish and this is NOT the same as being self absorbed - big difference. The only one we can count on is ourselves.

Fact is, we are insignificant (not pointless) in a (seemingly) meaningless world and just a ripple in the tide when all is said and done, merely mortal, but poetic in this existence, but not without purpose, even though it certainly feels that way, its not true and be cautious not to not fall into the rut of despair, that (in and of itself) makes (your) life (starting today) a ruin. Our lives are not worthless.

Again, easier said than done when hope seems to fall even further from our reach.

Sorry, I know I said I was going to post off topic again, but I felt this needed to be addressed today.

Edited by XPerceniol

Just want to clarify, I'm not proposing to know any insight other than just my 'from the heart' uneducated advice, and I'm also not pretending to see reality as anything other than what we are all seeing/experiencing. If for some reason I've made anybody uncomfortable by anything I've written, please overlook it - I mean well. I don't have the answers, and, hate to say it, don't know there is any solid solution.

Edited by XPerceniol

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

1 - I do feel like like a cog in a capitalist machine.

2 - If people wanna drown in their own crap, who am I to stop them?

3 - Sit back, relax, watch the candle burn out.

1 - For that feeling one would need to live a capitalist country, for starters . I'm sorry , but you don't ... or maybe you have a great imagination.

2 - You're right ! There's a saying I brought from Ukraine, I don't know if it's a British or Ukrainian one originally: "pigs always find dirt".

3 - Excellent idea , thank you ! That's precisely what I'm gonna do today.

P.S.

Not meant to offend the real (animal) pigs . BTW , I live on a "green" side myself . Not that I receive money from the KGB to destroy the West , lol. 

I mean I walk a lot , don't use gasoline , don't buy oil or any goods from Russia , don't buy drinks in plastic bottles (only glass), I don't mine or

use Pentium D , xD !!! 

16 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Sorry, I know I said I was going to post off topic again

No prob. since you warned us ! ))) Good to have you back ! I'm sure you're living green too.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, D.Draker said:

1 - For that feeling one would need to live a capitalist country, for starters . I'm sorry , but you don't ... or maybe you have a great imagination.

Sure, if you want to be pedantic...https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/capitalist-countries...but that wasn't the point, I'm still a cog in the system I never consented to participate in.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, XPerceniol said:

Its how we as a "being" respond to the hardships of daily life when witnessing in full view the disharmony and suffering and ugliness of what we are witnessing around us. So long as were conscious, we can't just "tune out' and this is the struggle of being alive and awake. Being alive is hard work - without question - and its all too easy to allow to feel like giving up.

Yes, and then what awaits at the end? If you're lucky, you'll die of heart attack in your sleep, if you're unlucky, death will be slow and horrible. Who knows what horrible diseases and degradations you'll experience before you finally succumb. IF you somehow get through all the nonsense in between.

On 6/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, XPerceniol said:

Remember, your job isn't to change the world (solely) - only what is within your control and sometimes that means taking care of your (own) needs. When the going gets rough, one needs to become selfish and this is NOT the same as being self absorbed - big difference. The only one we can count on is ourselves.

Indeed, I'm just taking care of my needs to the best of my ability while laughing at the absurdity. As George Carlin has said...

At the end of the day, this environment some are so worried about is the same one that supports sentient life and all the suffering that comes with it. So saving it = keeping the status quo.

As far as I'm concerned, the cycle of consumption and reproduction ends with me. The DNA molecule's journey ends here. Can't get much greener than that!

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Tourists warned of extreme heatwave as temperatures reach highs of 50C

Maybe that'll teach them. Some of the things tourists do:

• they cause traffic jams,
  • they leave trash everywhere,
  • they leave their cars everywhere,
  • they're having a picnic or otherwise abusing green surfaces where it's explicitly forbidden to do so,
  • they pollute lakes.

14 hours ago, UCyborg said:

1 - Sure, if you want to be pedantic...https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/capitalist-countries...but that wasn't the point, I'm still a cog in the system I never consented to participate in.

2 - Maybe that'll teach them. Some of the things tourists do:

• they cause traffic jams,
  • they leave trash everywhere,
  • they leave their cars everywhere,
  • they're having a picnic or otherwise abusing green surfaces where it's explicitly forbidden to do so,
  • they pollute lakes.

1 - By the capitalist countries I meant not the ones who recently fell off the Eastern bloc (while I was clubbing in the 90's). And it's a big question if they really fell off or *just pretending*, no offence and nothing personal towards you.

2 - I coudn't agree more ! I also live in a tourist city . I think you can't even imagine how good I understand you . Though this year we had much less russkie tourists that was the main source of pollution, and what tourists visit your town ? From which countries ? 

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

1 - By the capitalist countries I meant not the ones who recently fell off the Eastern bloc (while I was clubbing in the 90's). And it's a big question if they really fell off or *just pretending*, no offence and nothing personal towards you.

None taken.

9 hours ago, D.Draker said:

2 - I coudn't agree more ! I also live in a tourist city . I think you can't even imagine how good I understand you . Though this year we had much less russkie tourists that was the main source of pollution, and what tourists visit your town ? From which countries ?

Various, I'm sure of the few such as Hungary, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Latvia, even folks from Asian countries come, I'm positive on South Korea at least.

No one'll die if they skipped some trips. Mind boggling to me, but, they really aren't bothered by being stuck in traffic or ending up in huge crowds, aren't they?

And there's talk of the next potential COVID wave in the autumn...

21 hours ago, UCyborg said:

At the end of the day, this environment some are so worried about is the same one that supports sentient life and all the suffering that comes with it. So saving it = keeping the status quo.

Not suggesting to throw hands up and just let it go slowly, though, just pointing out the perspective many don't consider.

Edited by UCyborg

On 6/16/2022 at 2:43 AM, D.Draker said:

No prob. since you warned us ! ))) Good to have you back ! I'm sure you're living green too.

youtube.com/watch?v=lBaTzUquI88

I just thought you both could use a brief moment of levity from all the gloom - I hope you guys can see this funny song ... hang in there, guys :)

Edited by XPerceniol

I'm tired and depressed after yet another day of observing humanity's ineptitude and people's utter lack of concern for each other, so I won't go on much....

Re: EV vs. ICE:  I don't know.  I think maybe EVs ultimately aren't a terrible idea, but I agree wholeheartedly with many comments here that the available options leave much to be desired, create needless complications, and simply manufacturing them and their components (the plastics, the metals, and, most notably, the batteries) actually creates almost as much damage to the environment than driving around a 20+ year old gas/petrol powered car.

I'm a little bit more positive about it, in that I don't think it's 100% about milking more money out of people, but I do believe that the current push, at least over here in California, USA, is severely misguided at best, because we have an old, outdated electric grid that isn't equipped to supply the kind of power output that several tens of millions of EVs would need, except perhaps in the major cities.  What about all the people living in rural areas, though?  Where I am now, every third car is an EV of some type, and those who own them have the money to not only buy the car, but to also upgrade their homes with a proper charging solution.  Attempting to drive an EV in a mountainous rural area, while doable, isn't practical or financially sustainable by most;  therefore, I don't think it's wise to force everyone to adopt them right now.

In time, my hope is that the technology will improve, new methods of manufacturing will be invented that reduce the environmental impact, and the electric grid will be upgraded and rebuilt, but with all the political inertia and red tape, it's gonna take decades at best for all of these things to happen, and nobody seems to care.  Hopefully when nuclear fusion power gets invented, things will improve.

And now for electronics.

Take cellular/mobile phones, for example.

I like my iPhones, but it's gotten to a point now where every phone on the market is some kind of Apple (iOS) or Google (Android) based flat slab of glass or plastic with cameras galore.  For years, I haven't really cared about the latest and greatest, preferring instead to use older phones, and to keep using them for longer than the average person might (we used TracFone (a US prepaid service) with a 2G phone until late 2013 or so, LONG after most everyone else I knew switched to an iPhone), because why upgrade if it still works?  I mean, the main purpose is to

I'd keep using my old Nokia 5190 or Motorola StarTAC indefinitely if I could, but as the 2G and 3G signals get shut down over here in the US, the situation is becoming increasingly bleak and depressing, because pretty soon, only brand new smartphones will work.

The carriers all say they need to maximize capacity for the new hotness they call 5G, but I just don't buy it.  4G was plenty fast for my needs (I mean, even 3G is good enough for what I want to do;  2G is pushing it, but even that's still OK for the occasional email or something), so why do we need to keep making things faster?  Did anybody actually ask for it?  I didn't.

And don't get me started on all this SaaS rentware garbage.  And cryptographically locking down all aspects of the hardware architecture that rentware runs on is just wrong.  I don't want to pay $1000 or more for a computer, only to be locked out by the manufacturer a year later when they decide to stop supplying OS updates because it's "too old".  And when they inevitably say that the newer OS is safer, I cringe, because while there can be some genuine risks in high security settings, I feel that the average user need not care too much, as long as they practice good browsing habits and the software in question is updated enough to work with modern standards (I consider Windows XP to be the practical minimum here, with 7 being my preferred recommendation for those who aren't quite as technically minded, because XP requires a lot of hoop-jumping nowadays, whereas Windows 7, provided the hardware is compatible, still more or less works out of the box once updated a bit (and Spectre/Meltdown mitigations are disabled, because I think the danger of exploitation is mostly theoretical (and requires direct access to the hardware, if I'm remembering correctly), and thus in practice poses relatively little risk to the average home user).  I developed a soft spot for Windows 8.1, because I could make it work and look mostly like 7 with some minor tweaks, but I avoid 10 like the plague because I don't like it.  11 is worse in this regard, and has rendered 100% of my hardware (some of which I've paid thousands of dollars for over the years) obsolete.

Anyway, I guess I went on longer than I thought.  Oh, well.

Maybe someone, somewhere, sometime will invent a time machine that we can all use to go back in time to a point when the world as we know it seemed like a better place (for all its turmoil, I find that the bulk of the 20th century seems like a happier time than the 21st century has so far turned out to be (of course, looking back through modern history, few periods have been quite as thoroughly miserable as the past ten to twenty years have been).

Sorry for rambling....

c