Modern Media Player for Windows 2000?

Hey MSFN!

I'm trying to get back into retro computing and Windows ME was giving me problems on my Precision M70, so I'm doing Windows 2000 on my Dell at the moment. It's such a great, solid OS that only needs some new software to keep up with its younger siblings!

As the title says, what are the media players you would use on a vanilla Windows 2000 installation? I can't find information on the last version of KMPlayer, PotPlayer, MP-HC, etc. for Windows 2000. All help is appreciated!

Also, I wonder if it's possible to get this little media player working on Windows 2000; it's still Qt4-based, but does not launch on Windows 2000.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/apprenticevideo/files/

Slightly off topic, but is there also a way I could modify Windows 2000 just like Windows 9x's Revolutions Pack?

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

On 6/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Hey MSFN!

I'm trying to get back into retro computing and Windows ME was giving me problems on my Precision M70, so I'm doing Windows 2000 on my Dell at the moment. It's such a great, solid OS that only needs some new software to keep up with its younger siblings!

As the title says, what are the media players you would use on a vanilla Windows 2000 installation? I can't find information on the last version of KMPlayer, PotPlayer, MP-HC, etc. for Windows 2000. All help is appreciated!

Also, I wonder if it's possible to get this little media player working on Windows 2000; it's still Qt4-based, but does not launch on Windows 2000.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/apprenticevideo/files/

Slightly off topic, but is there also a way I could modify Windows 2000 just like Windows 9x's Revolutions Pack?

if file size is not too important, then vlc player 1.1.9 should work well as the last officially working, assuming you're using a cpu that uses SSE2 or newer ( i think from 0.8.6e and newer, they require SSE2 based cpus?, but i don't know if this is true or not ). i use vlc player 0.8.6d on windows 2000 because it seems to give a good balance by supporting older SSE only based cpu but also being modern enough to do work with most files and have decent quality and reliability, though a large part why i use 0.8.6d is because with version 1.1.9, the size of my archived package would then become a bit large, possibly preventing me from burning onto cd-rw / cd-r discs that can only do a max of like 677 MB or so ( i can't really remove anything else ). i don't see a reason to use newer than 1.1.9 unofficially, but that's a route you can experiment with if you use some kind of unofficial update rollup / extended kernel configuration. sorry, i don't have experience with the other things you mentioned. 

below is a link for vlc versions you can download - 

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 7:19 PM, cov3rt said:

( i think from 0.8.6e and newer, they require SSE2 based cpus?, but i don't know if this is true or not )

2.xx branch is the last fully working for SSE CPUs. 3.0x worked, partially: Only command-line VLC interface. 0.8.6e sounds familiar though, perhaps that was the last for non-sse CPUs?

7 hours ago, i430VX said:

2.xx branch is the last fully working for SSE CPUs. 3.0x worked, partially: Only command-line VLC interface. 0.8.6e sounds familiar though, perhaps that was the last for non-sse CPUs?

there was a thread that sdfox7 mentioned on the 0.8.x family being the last that doesn't depend on SSE, he mentions in this thread below:

Edited by cov3rt

• 2 months later...

I desired use different approach and used Windows media player 9 series + ffdshow beta6 rev2527 and Combined Community Codec Pack (dated 2010-10-10) on my windows 2000 laptop that have Pentium M and intel gma 900. With those I can play all of my downloaded/existing video files pretty even 720p ones no lag at all. Those codecs works media players 7-9 under windows 2000 vanilla on my tests.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, JesusGod-Pope666.Info said:

Mr.Scienceman2000 - Interesting! So it is possible to run 720p on Windows 2000 pro.
How is streaming going in 720p?

All my videos in my video player should be max 720p: http://jesusgod-pope666.info/uvpf.php#/?playlistId=3&videoId=0

I hope to find something that can run it from windows 2000... time will see.

- Darkijah

Latest version of VLC runs just fine on 2000, so expect anything compatible with VLC to work, granted your hardware can handle it (4K, 3D, HDR). Just keep in mind the latest GPU that supports 2000 officially is the GeForce 7950x2/Radeon X1900. I would assume BWC's extended kernel could help newer cards run and have heard up to a HD 4890 could run though.