MSE 4.4.304.0 still updating and with no nags?

dencorso

Well, y'all who know me know full well I've never used Vista. But I do use 7 SP1 and I am a XP SP3 die-hard. On XP, MSE still works with no nags, but cannot use any AV definition file later than 1.293.2807.0, because all later AV definition files require an Engine version > 1.1.15800.1 and those engines require functions not supported by XP. OTOH, because of using it on XP, I've kept one of my 7 SP1 (x86) machines running MSE 4.4.304.0, and it remains updating normally and working OK up to now. Of course, to do so, it uses the latest available Engine version and AV definition files seamlessly. Today, however, it dawned on me the same may still happen on Vista, too... and maybe it can even auto-update. But even if not, it sure can be updated by hand, provided the latest available Engine version's requirementes are met by Vista. Is it actually possible to keep using MSE 4.4.304.0 on Vista? I don't really know, but perhaps somebody among you may be interested in testing it. Below is an image of it running on 7 SP1 x86 (no I don't use x64, so I didn't test on it) as of today. HTH.

MSE_still_UPDs.png

Member @SIW2 posted at another forum that it works, assuming sha2 support has been installed. (I believe one or more Server 2008 servicing stack updates are prerequisite for the update SIW2 provided links to.) My last attempt to use MSE on Vista was in July 2019. I believe the definition and engine updates were still dual-signed at that time because I was able to manually install them without sha2 support. The deal breaker for me was that MSE 4.4 was only able to detect and quarantine an EICAR test file intermittently, not consistently. So I opted for Avast 18.8 instead.

MSE 4.4.304.0 is pretty good at detecting things when they're actually accessed (not necessarily to execute, but to copy, move or read, too), in my experience. It may miss passive files until then, though.