vlc player illegal operation on windows 95

cov3rt

i was wondering if anyone else has had the same / similar issues in trying to get vlc player to work on windows 95? for some reason, with some systems, i can't get vlc player to work on windows 95. it will install but then it won't be able to launch and will complain immediately that "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". the specific version of vlc i used on most systems was 0.8.6d, and usually would have worked and launched on "most" systems, albeit, i haven't tested too many recently, however, i also tried using slightly older versions at a time back then, and most wouldn't work, until eventually i found one that did work, but somewhat poorly still and faulty / buggy. i don't remember the exact issues. unfortunately  i can't upload a picture of the full error, but the error consisted of an invalid instruction in module libvlc.dll. 

as backup, i added TCPMP mod into my archive to be used as an alternative to vlc player .8.6d, and it worked fine with a sample mp4 player, however, my intention is for vlc to be used as the main player, as it's possible it has better supported formats and / or added file association component that TCPMP mod doesn't have right away, where you have to do this linking thing that may not be as straightforward to some. i'm frustrated with this issue because i feel like it could be an easy fix and / or the issue is unreasonable. i still have windows 95 installed currently but i will be installing 98SE very shortly, so if someone can chime in and offer some quick assistance on why i have the vlc issue and possible solutions, that would be nice. i would hate to remove vlc entirely or use a version that is a lot older if i don't need to, as my intention of using specifically .8.6d was that it the right balance between broad range of support with hardware, as well as formats and performance level.

Last time I tested VLC on various operating systems back in Feb 2019

95 VLC 0.8.4b

98-ME VLC 0.8.6d

98-ME KernelEX  VLC 2.2.8

NT4 VLC 0.8.6e

2000 Vanilla VLC 1.1.11

2000 BWC SSE2 VLC 3.0.6

XP

VLC 2.2.8

SSE2 VLC 3.0.8

Would be nice if someone had the time to unify VLC versions and provide SSE and SSE2 binaries. 

Edited by DosFreak

2 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Missing SSE/MMX support on the failing CPUs?

the cpu is pentium m, so no, it would not be from that reason, as it supports SSE / SSE2 / MMX. 

Use MSVCR80.dll renamed MSVCRT.dll from LH4074 or LH4093 as a MSVCRT.dll substitute in the system folder, it should work good even in Win95. This will allow more programs to work including versions of VLC.

Edited by Goodmaneuver