Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


win32

[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, win32 said:

uploading revised version now.

still the same :( , i also checked logs of a game , in windows 7 it loads nvoglv64.dll and nvwgf2umx.dll , but in vista it fails at nvwgf2umx.dll and doesnt even attempt to load nvoglv64.dll

Edited by burd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sorry to interupt your current discussion, as I am not up to date for a few weeks now about this kernel. 

My question is:

Is Office 2013+ or Spotify working now or are you working on it currently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, yoltboy01 said:

Im sorry to interupt your current discussion, as I am not up to date for a few weeks now about this kernel. 

My question is:

Is Office 2013+ or Spotify working now or are you working on it currently?

nope , he hasnt worked on other files , currently hes trying to get pascal running on vista at its real potential i.e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, burd said:

still the same :( , i also checked logs of a game , in windows 7 it loads nvoglv64.dll and nvwgf2umx.dll , but in vista it fails at nvwgf2umx.dll and doesnt even attempt to load nvoglv64.dll

I changed something at the offset where the error occurred. I wonder what the crashes look like now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, win32 said:

I changed something at the offset where the error occurred. I wonder what the crashes look like now?

 

sending the crash pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just uploaded a new one making a different assumption at the offset.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, win32 said:

i just uploaded a new one making a different assumption at the offset.

Still the same on both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, burd said:

Still the same on both

Now I have uploaded another one, that tries to bypass the problematic set of instructions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, win32 said:

Now I have uploaded another one, that tries to bypass the problematic set of instructions.

still the same , lol , maybe the issue is something completely different? i mean literally nothing is changing, the log files confirm that it is using the local folder aswell , still the same.

Edited by burd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, burd said:

still the same , lol

so nothing refers to the problematic instruction anymore, yet it's still responsible for crashes? :w00t:

sigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, win32 said:

so nothing refers to the problematic instruction anymore, yet it's still responsible for crashes? :w00t:

sigh

idk man its really bizzare not 1 thing has changed so far :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How do I go about setting up the Extended Kernel? I have a 2019 Acer Aspire A315-21 with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics with Windows Vista installed to a spare hard drive (The OEM copy of Windows 10 is safe and sound on its original drive), and want to try to get drivers such as graphics working.

All the drivers for this model, of which you can view here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7208?b=1, has Windows 7 support. I was able to get most of the drivers listed there to work when I previously had 7 on the drive before wiping it for Vista. A few such as Elan Touchpad, I had to grab from Google Search.

For the AMD Graphics, I had to download them from AMD's website. Despite the graphics card featuring Windows 7 support, it did not have my variant in the file (which is code-named Stoney Ridge), so it did not initially install, however, after modifying the INF file to add in my graphics card with the info from Device Manager, I was able to install it with the Have Disk method.

This did not install the Radeon Control Panel, but that should be working if you open up Start Menu, navigate to the AMD Radeon folder, and manually start it, and then restart the system. It is also advised to not use the Have Disk method like I did, but rather browse to where AMD dropped the files, and let Windows search (make sure Include Subfolders is checked).

By me trying this, it can help us get Windows Vista working on a 2019 laptop, that ironically still has driver support for Windows 7 even though the Acer site only has Windows 10 to chose from for the available drivers.

Edited by Jakob99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

How do I go about setting up the Extended Kernel? I have a 2019 Acer Aspire A315-21 with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics with Windows Vista installed to a spare hard drive (The OEM copy of Windows 10 is safe and sound on its original drive), and want to try to get drivers such as graphics working.

All the drivers for this model, of which you can view here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7208?b=1, has Windows 7 support. I was able to get most of the drivers listed there to work when I previously had 7 on the drive before wiping it for Vista. A few such as Elan Touchpad, I had to grab from Google Search.

For the AMD Graphics, I had to download them from AMD's website. Despite the graphics card featuring Windows 7 support, it did not have my variant in the file (which is code-named Stoney Ridge), so it did not initially install, however, after modifying the INF file to add in my graphics card with the info from Device Manager, I was able to install it with the Have Disk method.

This did not install the Radeon Control Panel, but that should be working if you open up Start Menu, navigate to the AMD Radeon folder, and manually start it, and then restart the system. It is also advised to not use the Have Disk method like I did, but rather browse to where AMD dropped the files, and let Windows search (make sure Include Subfolders is checked).

By me trying this, it can help us get Windows Vista working on a 2019 laptop, that ironically still has driver support for Windows 7 even though the Acer site only has Windows 10 to chose from for the available drivers.

It might be possible to mod the 15.100 embedded drivers to work with the laptop as the GPU appears to be based off of the same GCN architecture as the R9 200/300 series

Edited by asdf2345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

It might be possible to mod the 15.100 embedded drivers to work with the laptop as the GPU appears to be based off of a older GCN architecture than even the R9 M200 series.

You have a link to it? How would I go about modding them? Would I just need to add in my processor into the INF file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...