Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


win32

[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, burd said:

could the old drivers 368.XX - 372.70 be fixed easily? compared to the 400.XX drivers? Even an old fully functional driver could help , currently applications and many games crash with nvwgf2umx.dll error specifically and with DirectX and Vulkan both broken and Opengl not supporting many low tier apps its hard to do much especially on Pascal. :}

did this start with my modified files? If there's an error, please tell me more (is it the same one that occurs with winSAT? if so, maybe an update to ntext could help).

I'll look at the 372.70 files (though this is my busy week, I'm now split between semi-free and busy weeks until December). I think something could be done directly about those if I find they version check and discriminate right in those files, like the newer drivers on old Windows 10 releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, win32 said:

did this start with my modified files? If there's an error, please tell me more (is it the same one that occurs with winSAT? if so, maybe an update to ntext could help).

It didnt start with your files the drivers are just broken on vista , your files dont fix those errors , there are many instances where i get this error , IE9 64bit , Steam games , sometimes in windows score assessment (winsat i think) , All of them 64bit , 32bit dxdiag works fine , while 64bit crashes

https://imgur.com/a/fnYuj2c

one thing to note is that , the steam games would just crash without your modified files , but with it , it would probably run with proper drivers since it crashes on the nvidia D3D10 dll now.

 

Edited by burd
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, win32 said:

did this start with my modified files? If there's an error, please tell me more (is it the same one that occurs with winSAT? if so, maybe an update to ntext could help).

I'll look at the 372.70 files (though this is my busy week, I'm now split between semi-free and busy weeks until December). I think something could be done directly about those if I find they version check and discriminate right in those files, like the newer drivers on old Windows 10 releases.

It's probably more worth it to look at the 382.33 drivers, as that supports all the way from the GT 1030 to the GTX 1080 Ti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

It's probably more worth it to look at the 382.33 drivers, as that supports all the way from the GT 1030 to the GTX 1080 Ti

The incompatibilities are probably incremental.

First, official Vista support was dropped after 365.19.

Then the user mode DX part of drivers (365.19, 372.70] does not export missing functions, but fails on the officially unsupported NT 6.0. Then 372.90 introduces some missing functions. And the latest W7 ones have like 40 missing functions!

The user mode issues, if not corrected, would probably persist once the kernel mode parts of later drivers are fixed.

Hopefully the user-mode fix will be applicable to those 382.33 drivers as well as later ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, win32 said:

The incompatibilities are probably incremental.

First, official Vista support was dropped after 365.19.

Then the user mode DX part of drivers (365.19, 372.70] does not export missing functions, but fails on the officially unsupported NT 6.0. Then 372.90 introduces some missing functions. And the latest W7 ones have like 40 missing functions!

The user mode issues, if not corrected, would probably persist once the kernel mode parts of later drivers are fixed.

Hopefully the user-mode fix will be applicable to those 382.33 drivers as well as later ones.

So are you going to add the 372.70 functions, or mod 372.70?

Edited by asdf2345
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

So are you going to add the 372.70 functions, or mod 372.70?

I will work on modding 372.70 usermode components. I just looked at nvd3dumx.dll (D3D usermode driver for x64 components) and I found this suspect code:

.text:00000001806B94AF                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwOSVersionInfoSize, 11Ch
.text:00000001806B94B9                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMajorVersion, 6
.text:00000001806B94C3                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMinorVersion, 1
.text:00000001806B94CD                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.wServicePackMajor, r15w
.text:00000001806B94D5                 call    cs:VerifyVersionInfoW

So it is actively checking for NT 6.1. No doubt these changes will have to be done for later usermode components.

UPDATE: and so does 365.19. So I'll have to check other files.

Edited by win32
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, win32 said:

I will work on modding 372.70 usermode components. I just looked at nvd3dumx.dll (D3D usermode driver for x64 components) and I found this suspect code:


.text:00000001806B94AF                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwOSVersionInfoSize, 11Ch
.text:00000001806B94B9                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMajorVersion, 6
.text:00000001806B94C3                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.dwMinorVersion, 1
.text:00000001806B94CD                 mov     cs:VersionInformation.wServicePackMajor, r15w
.text:00000001806B94D5                 call    cs:VerifyVersionInfoW

 

Maybe u can see from the 32bit version and compare? since it seems like the 32bit apps have no issue with it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, syria! said:

Which AMD gpu do you use? I use the Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU and I got it working using SDI

I have a R9 380, precisely the point where AMD drivers stopped working. Had to used a hacked together Embedded version of the drivers. Not ideal.

Never heard of SDI. I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: Yeah, your GPU still had officially compatible drivers with Vista, that's why SDI (Snappy Driver Installer?) found a matching pair.

Edited by greenhillmaniac
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I have a R9 380, precisely the point where AMD drivers stopped working. Had to used a hacked together Embedded version of the drivers. Not ideal.

Never heard of SDI. I'll have to check it out.

Hm, I think you're out of luck on this one, but you can still try Snappy Driver Installer which might get the gpu drivers running.
https://sdi-tool.org/download/
It's 21gb large, DriverPack doesn't work on vista so you have to use SDI

Inform me if SDI installs the drivers correctly, run the windows experience index after installing the gpu drivers, then wait for it to finish the benchmarks. You should get Aero Glass and other Aero effects if it's 3+

EDIT: Yeah, might be the reason. Still, give it a try, might work although it might have to use an engineering sample

Edited by syria!
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I have a R9 380, precisely the point where AMD drivers stopped working. Had to used a hacked together Embedded version of the drivers. Not ideal.

Never heard of SDI. I'll have to check it out.

The 15.100 embedded drivers aren't that bad on my HD 6870, and with the extended kernel you don't need to use the powerprof wrapper

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, asdf2345 said:

The 15.100 embedded drivers aren't that bad on my HD 6870, and with the extended kernel you don't need to use the powerprof wrapper

If the embedded drivers support OpenGL which is needed to run most graphical apps or games, you should be good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@win32 do you think d3d12 binaries can be backported or tricked to run on Vista from Windows 7 , ofcourse currently Direct3D is barely functioning on Vista but i feel like it could be possible.

One of my game folders also possess this dll , https://imgur.com/a/euTUEPn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, burd said:

 do you think d3d12 binaries can be backported or tricked to run on Vista from Windows 7 , ofcourse currently Direct3D is barely functioning on Vista but i feel like it could be possible.

Maybe, but the older Vista DX Graphics Kernel may get in the way (hopefully not, and if so, I hope that expanded ntoskrnl will eventually bring the W7 version to Vista).

Apparently they have specific blocks for 8.x too. I just need a copy and I'll look at it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...