[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I already know, Chromium does not get along with the kernel32.dll wrapper. After locally redirecting the original kernel32.dll included with this version of the extended kernel, there is no problem with movies, but a message about the end of support for XP and Vista is displayed (probably Chromium derives version information from the kernel)

1 hour ago, mjd79 said:

@win32 Chrome, even in version 109 does not play YouTube videos without the --no-sandbox flag. What causes this?

It is possibly related to the bug where it cannot access audio devices. I have solved it along with the general audio issues, but now need to solve another issue with .NET applications.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:36 PM, WinExPerience said:

Guys, see Office 2019 on Windows Vista, I got from Reddit. 5cn73aaturba1.thumb.png.0df1667deff102980f192686b35ff33e.png

That's my screenshot actually :)
Nonetheless, 2019 was extremely unstable

15 hours ago, Cockatiel said:

What about Adobe Photoshop 2019? And about userenv.dll issue, it can be fixed by using redirection method?

I'll give CC 2019 a try, if it doesn't work I have a few methods that might make it run. Expect results in a few hours.

4 hours ago, win32 said:

It is possibly related to the bug where it cannot access audio devices. I have solved it along with the general audio issues, but now need to solve another issue with .NET applications.

Or his Chromium simply lacks the proper codecs. As an example, Opera doesn't have H264 codec. And only some of the ungoogled variants have the full set of codecs.

After Effects / Photoshop 2019 do not launch because of missing entry points in the Kernel32 dll, Audition 2020 works up to a certain update, which just so happened to be the one that changed their icon to their modern variants, an issue with MFTranscode will pop up but you'll just have to ignore it and wait until it launches, as soon as you interact with the error window the program will crash, Direct2D is also disabled for stability.

Photoshop / After Effects 2018 ( Unchecked )

Windows Vista x64 Edition-2023-03-09-10-04-17-min.png

Windows Vista x64 Edition-2023-03-09-10-04-45-min.png

A modified Build of Blender 3.4.1 works as well, though it does crash a lot. Depending on if you use NVidia Drivers for 7 which were modified for Vista, it might cause it to crash at startup.

Windows Vista x64 Edition-2023-03-09-10-16-14-min.png

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Or his Chromium simply lacks the proper codecs. As an example, Opera doesn't have H264 codec. And only some of the ungoogled variants have the full set of codecs.

I think that this is not the problem, because a simple kernel redirect is enough, everything except the message about the lack of support for Vista and XP then works. By the way, for some reason applications that need the osver.ini file to work, or rather their installers are not able to create shortcuts, an error appears.

7 hours ago, Sahalynsk said:

After Effects / Photoshop 2019 do not launch because of missing entry points in the Kernel32 dll, Audition 2020 works up to a certain update, which just so happened to be the one that changed their icon to their modern variants, an issue with MFTranscode will pop up but you'll just have to ignore it and wait until it launches, as soon as you interact with the error window the program will crash, Direct2D is also disabled for stability.

Did you installed mfplat ported from newer systems for Vista?

On 3/8/2023 at 6:23 AM, win32 said:

A wider assortment of 32 bit applications run, including up to Chromium ~107 and Electron applications such as Spotify (Discord's updater is buggy, apparently it's reliant on IE). Firefox goes up into the 90s.

Chromium 110 x64 works. Chromium 111 x64 may work, with --no-sandbox and ChromiumFix=1 set in a osver.ini override for the application.

OBS Studio 29 works, Calibre is fixed and PCSX2 1.7.3195 QT6 works, but later versions have issues.

And Premiere Pro 2019 working now, which I did not expect.

There are two known issues;

Chromium's access to audio devices is broken. The cause was discovered and it has been fixed, but I am waiting on a fix for the second issue to include it in an update.

There is an issue with userenv.dll which breaks audio on various systems. As the updates to userenv.dll are only needed for Chromium 110+, you can temporarily replace it with the original version to restore sound if it has been lost.

great work as always @win32 and I want to thankyou from the whole community for what you have done and continue to do here your amazing!

Edited by legacyfan

10 hours ago, windows2 said:

Yes, they seem to work together, I hope they work on Windows 2000 as well :thumbup

We already have @blackwingcat for that, and he does an amazing job! If it weren't for him, W2K would not be working on Intel Sandy or Ivy Bridge.