[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, Sahalynsk said:

Programs that were able to run with Ximonite's March Update ( Premiere CC 2019 / Discord Client )524748671_WindowsVistax64Edition-2023-03-08-08-24-55.thumb.png.0ccef39ee51e4a0585afeef0b1982422.png

Windows Vista x64 Edition-2023-03-08-08-38-11.png

i am now downloading vista iso with all updates and i have a question, Does that discord is newest version or how are it working

2 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

@win32 any new changelog for this new March 6th KernelEx revision?

A wider assortment of 32 bit applications run, including up to Chromium ~107 and Electron applications such as Spotify (Discord's updater is buggy, apparently it's reliant on IE). Firefox goes up into the 90s.

Chromium 110 x64 works. Chromium 111 x64 may work, with --no-sandbox and ChromiumFix=1 set in a osver.ini override for the application.

OBS Studio 29 works, Calibre is fixed and PCSX2 1.7.3195 QT6 works, but later versions have issues.

And Premiere Pro 2019 working now, which I did not expect.

There are two known issues;

Chromium's access to audio devices is broken. The cause was discovered and it has been fixed, but I am waiting on a fix for the second issue to include it in an update.

There is an issue with userenv.dll which breaks audio on various systems. As the updates to userenv.dll are only needed for Chromium 110+, you can temporarily replace it with the original version to restore sound if it has been lost.

Edited by win32

2 hours ago, win32 said:

A wider assortment of 32 bit applications run, including up to Chromium ~107 and Electron applications such as Spotify (Discord's updater is buggy, apparently it's reliant on IE). Firefox goes up into the 90s.

Chromium 110 x64 works. Chromium 111 x64 may work, with --no-sandbox and ChromiumFix=1 set in a osver.ini override for the application.

OBS Studio 29 works, Calibre is fixed and PCSX2 1.7.3195 QT6 works, but later versions have issues.

There are two known issues;

Chromium's access to audio devices is broken. The cause was discovered and it has been fixed, but I am waiting on a fix for the second issue to include it in an update.

There is an issue with userenv.dll which breaks audio on various systems. As the updates to userenv.dll are only needed for Chromium 110+, you can temporarily replace it with the original version to restore sound if it has been lost.

What about Adobe Photoshop 2019? And about userenv.dll issue, it can be fixed by using redirection method?

Edited by Cockatiel

8 hours ago, Sahalynsk said:

Programs that were able to run with Ximonite's March Update ( Premiere CC 2019 / Discord Client )524748671_WindowsVistax64Edition-2023-03-08-08-24-55.thumb.png.0ccef39ee51e4a0585afeef0b1982422.png

Windows Vista x64 Edition-2023-03-08-08-38-11.png

I don't think ximonite's has related to this project , win32 is the creator of vista extended kernel , ximonite has Windows 2000 new extended kernel project 

3 hours ago, windows2 said:

I don't think ximonite's has related to this project , win32 is the creator of vista extended kernel , ximonite has Windows 2000 new extended kernel project 

If you read the first pages of this topic, you will know that Ximonite is actually cooperating with win32 in this project. :yes:

Edited by mina7601

8 hours ago, win32 said:

Hi win32, magnificent work on your extended kernel as always, thanks for that! I was wondering if you had any progress running Adobe Acrobat Reader DC application on Vista. Thanks.

Edited by mina7601

15 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Hi win32, magnificent work on your extended kernel as always, thanks for that! I was wondering if you had any progress running Adobe Acrobat Reader DC application on Vista. Thanks.

I haven't tried it. In fact I am jaded about Acrobat (Reader) DC because it always sends Unicode garbage to the printer on some relatives' 8.1 machines, while all other PDF readers send the actual content to the printer.

Maybe I will try later in a VM.