[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

Most of my precious time has been devoted to the Chromium issue, which is continuously unfolding as they gradually remove legacy codepaths. The job object server is nearly functional (right now it isn't, but Chromium seems to be OK with it, in --no-sandbox at least). Then I need to add some things to NtQueryInformationProcess and that should get Chromium 111 100% functional. Some more functions will need to be added for Chromium 112.

21 hours ago, win32 said:

Most of my precious time has been devoted to the Chromium issue, which is continuously unfolding as they gradually remove legacy codepaths. The job object server is nearly functional (right now it isn't, but Chromium seems to be OK with it, in --no-sandbox at least). Then I need to add some things to NtQueryInformationProcess and that should get Chromium 111 100% functional. Some more functions will need to be added for Chromium 112.

Chrome 110 will be released on February 7th, which will be compatible with Windows 10 or above, please help me how to get Chrome 110 on Windows Vista Extended Kernel. 

4 minutes ago, WinCare said:

Chrome 110 will be released on February 7th, which will be compatible with Windows 10 or above, please help me how to get Chrome 110 on Windows Vista Extended Kernel. 

Please, be patient. Also, you should read this:

22 hours ago, mina7601 said:

@WinCare We know you want more Windows 10 and later apps to run on Vista, but you must understand a few things. Making an Extended Kernel for an OS isn't as easy as you think. it actually involves requiring much knowledge and experience with IDA Pro, see here as an example. (although it's about NT 4, but it still stands generally). You should be grateful and thank God that someone knowledgeable like @win32 decided to take his time to work on an ExKernel for Vista (even if Vista was badly hated!), and that you are able to run apps with ExKernel that you otherwise, couldn't run on vanilla Vista. All of this wouldn't have been possible without @win32's effort. And maybe, if you mentioned a few examples of the Windows 10 apps that you want to install on Vista, you could maybe get information regarding them, like if it's possible to run them on Vista or not, and reasons why they can't run, etc. That's the purpose of this topic, hence the [WIP] at the topic title (which stands for Work In Progress). But, keep in mind that not all apps run perfectly on Vista with ExKernel. Some apps can run, but with visual bugs or graphical glitches (and require workarounds to run almost perfectly), some apps crash upon running, or doing specific actions inside the apps,

Edited by mina7601

22 hours ago, mina7601 said:

And, knowing his posts, he wants to stay on Vista with ExKernel than getting a PC with newer Windows to run newer apps.

@WinCare We know you want more Windows 10 and later apps to run on Vista, but you must understand a few things. Making an Extended Kernel for an OS isn't as easy as you think. it actually involves requiring much knowledge and experience with IDA Pro, see here as an example. (although it's about NT 4, but it still stands generally). You should be grateful and thank God that someone knowledgeable like @win32 decided to take his time to work on an ExKernel for Vista (even if Vista was badly hated!), and that you are able to run apps with ExKernel that you otherwise, couldn't run on vanilla Vista. All of this wouldn't have been possible without @win32's effort. And maybe, if you mentioned a few examples of the Windows 10 apps that you want to install on Vista, you could maybe get information regarding them, like if it's possible to run them on Vista or not, and reasons why they can't run, etc. That's the purpose of this topic, hence the [WIP] at the topic title (which stands for Work In Progress). But, keep in mind that not all apps run perfectly on Vista with ExKernel. Some apps can run, but with visual bugs or graphical glitches (and require workarounds to run almost perfectly), some apps crash upon running, or doing specific actions inside the apps,

Hope this helps. I hope I cleared out everything you need to know. :hello:

Best regards.

If you spoof apps, which are compatible with Windows 7 or above, you must spoof Windows 7 on Windows Vista. Then obviously it will work. 

On 1/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, WinCare said:

Did you spoof Windows 7 or Windows 10? 

With windows 10 spoofing it just crashes, with windows 7 spoofing it gives me the GetMaximumProcessorCount error

I installed the latest extended kernel yesterday, and it works 90% of the software I use! The only problem I have is that any version of 4K Video Downloader is not working, but I will find other software as a replacement. Also, newer versions of Rufus do not work.

2023-01-31_16h09_23.png

On 1/31/2023 at 4:09 PM, msquidpl said:

I installed the latest extended kernel yesterday, and it works 90% of the software I use! The only problem I have is that any version of 4K Video Downloader is not working, but I will find other software as a replacement. Also, newer versions of Rufus do not work.

2023-01-31_16h09_23.png

The newest version of KernelX is from October 2022?

On 1/29/2023 at 10:15 PM, mina7601 said:

And, knowing his posts, he wants to stay on Vista with ExKernel than getting a PC with newer Windows to run newer apps.

Hope this helps. I hope I cleared out everything you need to know. :hello:

Best regards.

I know the building ExKernel is hard (and i wanna help that much i can) but running windows 10 apps is even possible on Vista? more and more apps need secure  boot or its just UWP so doing that needs a lot of work