[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

43 minutes ago, Vort said:

Where are source codes?

https://github.com/win32ss/win32-api-reversals

But this is not complete. There are many functions I implemented by copying over blocks of hex codes from newer DLLs, because I did not know C well at the time. There are some other functions that are too messy for me to put up ATM.

Here is the installer source code (needs to be updated to support copying to places other than System32/SysWOW64, installing drivers, and adding a GUI):

https://github.com/win32ss/nt6-unofficial-update-installer-engine

And this tool builds a list of export pragma directives for a wrapper. It supports PE32, PE32+, and both named and ordinal-only exports:

https://github.com/win32ss/export_pragma_builder

Thank you for the answer.

It may be good to put these links on website (maybe FAQ section).

Who knows, maybe it will attract developers in future (like it happens for ReactOS for example).

Edited by Vort
typo

I'm wondering if there's any objection you have to me or @K4sum1 using this due to what happened in July of 2021...

That said, I do not expect any bug reports or suggestions from either of us to be taken into consideration since I already presume we're both on your blocklist here (and likely of others too from that time).

I was thinking about using it, and he still uses it, but I'd rather not anger the actual developers and those associated with the project by reminding them of what happened back then in any case. I'm aware I'm probably bound to some kind of "don't create any guides/information and give yourself credit for it" if I have such permission, and to avoid any possibility of a smear campaign against the developers of the project due to unintended association caused by myself or him.

Thank you in advance.

-CompileDesu

Edited by derpo

3 hours ago, mikekaefer921 said:

Any update for extended kernel on the x86 version of Vista? :) 

Did you see this December 29 post showing 32-bit Firefox 108 working? Vista x86 might be the only real solution for using Haswell and newer Intel hardware (those issues are only known to affect Vista x64).

6 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

showing 32-bit Firefox 108 working?

... But the original query there was about "32-bit application support", which I assumed to mean "32-bit application support" under a 64-bit (Vista) OS ... And I believe the screenshot there relates to such a use-case (just take a closer look at the UA...) ....

Being a user of 32-bit Vista myself, I'd be the first to welcome any good news about Vista ExtKernel supporting the 32-bit OS archictecture, but it seems we're not there yet... :(

11 hours ago, derpo said:

I'm wondering if there's any objection you have to me or @K4sum1 using this due to what happened in July of 2021...

That said, I do not expect any bug reports or suggestions from either of us to be taken into consideration since I already presume we're both on your blocklist here (and likely of others too from that time).

I was thinking about using it, and he still uses it, but I'd rather not anger the actual developers and those associated with the project by reminding them of what happened back then in any case. I'm aware I'm probably bound to some kind of "don't create any guides/information and give yourself credit for it" if I have such permission, and to avoid any possibility of a smear campaign against the developers of the project due to unintended association caused by myself or him.

Thank you in advance.

-CompileDesu

You make an acc., you write one word, I can hear the accent, I know It's you, I don't need to check your IP. Let me remind, I never had any form of beef with you, I don't have any prejudgments towards you. But, a big but - I was under the impression you are here for a clean start, no ? I'm still somewhat glad you're here, you're a funny fella. 

Seeing this crap resurfacing again in any form/shape, and knowing some of the previous crap you're capable of, I have a favour to ask, just freaking leave win32 alone and don't remind him of any unpleasantries, he is under my personal protection along with Astroskipper, Dave-H and a small amount of some others (don't remember their names, I just woke up, check with me later, will ya), but these ones are especially not be messed with. I can't write - go and have fun with the others, 'cause it would be against the forum's policy.

Win32 is a person of creativity, he's an artist. He needs positive stuff to get inspiration, don't you freakin' understand ?!??!?

On 1/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, Vort said:

Thank you for the answer.

It may be good to put these links on website (maybe FAQ section).

Who knows, maybe it will attract developers in future (like it happens for ReactOS for example).

In a huge contrast to this wonderful kernel project, nothing good is happening to the russian (stolen from the American XP) ReactOS.

So let it go the way it is.

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Win32 is a person of creativity, he's an artist. He needs positive stuff to get inspiration, don't you freakin' understand ?!??!?

Yes.

I dunno what I'm even trying to achieve here, other than raking things up from ages ago out of sheer paranoia. It's not like I have anything to actually contribute to the project anyway, words/suggestions/bugs/otherwise.

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Seeing this crap resurfacing again in any form/shape, and knowing some of the previous crap you're capable of

I'm still not so sure myself what my ulterior motive is for anything I do. Probably trying to be relevant around a bunch of people who actually make a positive impact in some kind of society... and then when I make a fool of myself in front of them or bore/annoy them to death, I start going on a drama-spooling spree.

Maybe I should start properly respecting where my position is (in other words, "lolcow tier") before doing literally anything.

Edited by derpo

On 10/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, win32 said:

About that, the experimental extended kernel version was able to install Office 2019 and almost run it. I've yet to try Office 2013 or 16, as the current version spoofer works for 2019 but not 2013/16 for a few possible reasons.

unknown.png

Most of the others are a little iffy, if only because they are first-party software, and it tends to be harder to get newer versions running of those than third-party ones (which is also true of Windows 2000; struggles with parts of Office 2007 while it can run every version of LibreOffice and OpenOffice that XP can).

I think a couple of those are x86 native electron apps while iTunes is win7-compatible with a Windows 10-tailored version block (I do have a likely solution for it). So the former will be available when x86 matures (the kernel32 functions are plentiful for those now, but I haven't started on the other dlls) while the latter will be attempted very soon.

@WinFXhas done installing Office 2013 on Windows Vista, so all of you go through @WinFX and search how to install Office 2013 on Windows Vista. 

15 hours ago, D.Draker said:

You make an acc., you write one word, I can hear the accent, I know It's you, I don't need to check your IP. Let me remind, I never had any form of beef with you, I don't have any prejudgments towards you. But, a big but - I was under the impression you are here for a clean start, no ? I'm still somewhat glad you're here, you're a funny fella. 

Seeing this crap resurfacing again in any form/shape, and knowing some of the previous crap you're capable of, I have a favour to ask, just freaking leave win32 alone and don't remind him of any unpleasantries, he is under my personal protection along with Astroskipper, Dave-H and a small amount of some others (don't remember their names, I just woke up, check with me later, will ya), but these ones are especially not be messed with. I can't write - go and have fun with the others, 'cause it would be against the forum's policy.

@win32, please kindly help me to use Windows Vista in 2023 or beyond such that all apps compatible with Windows 10 or above must run on Windows Vista. 

D Draker, I do request Win32 to install Windows 10 apps on Windows Vista otherwise if Win32 cannot do, that will make me cry 😭

Edited by WinCare

On 1/24/2023 at 11:16 PM, Scarf32 said:

Since spotify for vista and xp has been discontinued, is there a way to still use spotify because you can't log in anymore

Did you spoof Windows 7 or Windows 10? 

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

:huh: You could always buy a Windows 11 PC.

And, knowing his posts, he wants to stay on Vista with ExKernel than getting a PC with newer Windows to run newer apps.

@WinCare We know you want more Windows 10 and later apps to run on Vista, but you must understand a few things. Making an Extended Kernel for an OS isn't as easy as you think. it actually involves requiring much knowledge and experience with IDA Pro, see here as an example. (although it's about NT 4, but it still stands generally). You should be grateful and thank God that someone knowledgeable like @win32 decided to take his time to work on an ExKernel for Vista (even if Vista was badly hated!), and that you are able to run apps with ExKernel that you otherwise, couldn't run on vanilla Vista. All of this wouldn't have been possible without @win32's effort. And maybe, if you mentioned a few examples of the Windows 10 apps that you want to install on Vista, you could maybe get information regarding them, like if it's possible to run them on Vista or not, and reasons why they can't run, etc. That's the purpose of this topic, hence the [WIP] at the topic title (which stands for Work In Progress). But, keep in mind that not all apps run perfectly on Vista with ExKernel. Some apps can run, but with visual bugs or graphical glitches (and require workarounds to run almost perfectly), some apps crash upon running, or doing specific actions inside the apps,

Hope this helps. I hope I cleared out everything you need to know. :hello:

Best regards.

27 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

All of this wouldn't have been possible without @win32's effort.

Patience is the main key. I still wait for my queue to test things for modern versions of World of Tanks and Wargaming.net Game Center. I have submitted the required logs to win32 and silently wait for stuff to come, being ready to retest or provide more details. :rolleyes: