[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

4 hours ago, win32 said:

I did make a package combining the 382.16 driver with NVCPL components from 381.65 (untested for now because I am still working on job objects), but if that is not required, the byte sequences in the other thread are valid for modding the driver.

It will not work because in 381.65 nvWsS.dll also missing 345 (0x0159) "N/A" in COMCTL32.DLL.

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

There's no such function in the driver 382.16 I suggested for him, and I already gave him precise instructions what to mod. The only thing left is NVCPL. But the driver boots fine, see my topic and the link for 382.16 is there. I wouldn't suggest drivers with missing functions. The crap from Nvidia website has more missing functions.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/184056-breakthrough-p2-new-pascal-special-microsoft-nvidia-driver-port-for-vista-x64/?do=findComment&comment=1235351

Yeah about that. I managed to find the nvlddmkm.sys but it seems like the information you gave me is incorrect? For example at the offsets 160 , there is no 4E 6F. Also I looked for the 84C0740AB8BB0000C0 and it says ''not found''. I used HxD to check those out. And used hexadec offsets.

1 hour ago, bromogatos309 said:

Yeah about that. I managed to find the nvlddmkm.sys but it seems like the information you gave me is incorrect? For example at the offsets 160 , there is no 4E 6F. Also I looked for the 84C0740AB8BB0000C0 and it says ''not found''. I used HxD to check those out. And used hexadec offsets.

Although , now that I see it , the file I tried to edit is nvlddmkm.sy and not sys. When trying to find nvlddmkm.sys I can't find it in the driver you sent me. Do I need to extract something else to find it ?

Edited by bromogatos309

11 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

Although , now that I see it , the file I tried to edit is nvlddmkm.sy and not sys. When trying to find nvlddmkm.sys I can't find it in the driver you sent me. Do I need to extract something else to find it ?

Win32 confirmed and checked - my values are right. Who else you want to confirm it ?

No other active members can do such type of modding. Ask God then ? Of course you need to extract it first !

Also you need to follow my tutorial precisely, (for 382.16 the values will be different, like I told you).

And ,perhaps, ask the moderators for a tutorial on how to create a new topic, because

I kinda have a feeling this is not the end of the story, far from it.

EDIT: Far from it.

EDIT 2 : I'm done with this subject.

EDIT 3 : Read the tutorial how to add your device ID.

Edited by D.Draker

1 minute ago, D.Draker said:

Win32 confirmed and checked - my values are right. Who else you want to confirm it ?

No other active members can do such type of modding. Ask God then ? Of course you need to extract it first !

Also you need to follow my tutorial precisely, (for 382.16 the values will be different, like I told you).

And ,perhaps, ask the moderators for a tutorial on how to create a new topic, because

I kinda have a feeling this is not the end of the story.

At the end , I figured out I had to extract the sy file and I modded the sys with the values you told me. But the driver says it has compatibility issues and don't see any graphics hardware that fits to the installation. I'm doing a new fresh install of windows and try to reinstall win32's driver , because I really wasted not only much of my time , but also yours. I will let you know what the result will be.  

So I ran some games with the gt 1030 and the results are really interesting. 

WRC 2010 : the game ran at about 15-17 fps no matter what settings or resolution I changed 

DIRT : a little to no difference between 1080p and 720p , low -med settings the game ran at 15-17 fps

Now for the big difference :

Crysis : at 720p at med settings the game ran at about 40-45 fps , while on 1080p at low the game ran at 40 fps.

Now keep in mind , I have a c2d e8400 and 8gb ddr3 ram , and in Windows 10 the games ran at 1080p high above 60 fps , all of them. Although since the driver is in experimental kind of state it seems to be a good start. Hope I helped 

Hi guys,
I am successful user of Vista + extended kernel, but I had to install them from scratch as already embedded in ISO file. No luck just installing extended kernel in existing Vista. My question is: how can I find which version of ext. kernel is implemented? My guess is 2021xxxx. I prefer to know it for sure, because existence of osver.ini is somehow overlooked. Another question arise about upgrading this version to current. Would it be possible, or should I better keep this old one? Thank you :)

15 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

So I ran some games with the gt 1030 and the results are really interesting. 

WRC 2010 : the game ran at about 15-17 fps no matter what settings or resolution I changed 

DIRT : a little to no difference between 1080p and 720p , low -med settings the game ran at 15-17 fps

Now for the big difference :

Crysis : at 720p at med settings the game ran at about 40-45 fps , while on 1080p at low the game ran at 40 fps.

Now keep in mind , I have a c2d e8400 and 8gb ddr3 ram , and in Windows 10 the games ran at 1080p high above 60 fps , all of them. Although since the driver is in experimental kind of state it seems to be a good start. Hope I helped 

Core 2 Duo ??? Geez ! Did you test with 398.11 ? Now try 382.16 - being from MS website, it has much less calls to the kernel, so less CPU cycles.

33 minutes ago, Voxo said:

My question is: how can I find which version of ext. kernel is implemented? My guess is 2021xxxx.

You mean which version of extended kernel is installed? It depends on the vistaexkernsetup_xxxxxxxx.7z (where x is the version in the date format), for example, if it is 10262021, the extended kernel version you installed is October 26, 2021.

33 minutes ago, Voxo said:

Another question arise about upgrading this version to current. Would it be possible, or should I better keep this old one? Thank you :)

Yes, you can upgrade old version to current version. Just run setup of the latest extended kernel version, and then follow the instructions on Command Prompt.

3 hours ago, mina7601 said:

You mean which version of extended kernel is installed? It depends on the vistaexkernsetup_xxxxxxxx.7z (where x is the version in the date format), for example, if it is 10262021, the extended kernel version you installed is October 26, 2021.

... But he did explicitly state he did NOT use a "vistaexkernsetup" to deploy it:

4 hours ago, Voxo said:

I had to install them from scratch as already embedded in ISO file. No luck just installing extended kernel in existing Vista.

AIUI, he had to install an (unofficial) Vista SP2 x64 .iso (made by a third party), with "a" version of the ExtKernel slipped-in... Only the person that made the ISO knows the exact version of the ExtKernel that was integrated in the ISO, @Voxo simply inquires whether it's at all possible to identify "that" version post ISO-install... :dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... But he did explicitly state he did NOT use a "vistaexkernsetup" to deploy it:

AIUI, he had to install an (unofficial) Vista SP2 x64 .iso (made by a third party), with "a" version of the ExtKernel slipped-in... Only the person that made the ISO knows the exact version of the ExtKernel that was integrated in the ISO, @Voxo simply inquires whether it's at all possible to identify that version post-ISO install... :dubbio:

Sorry, I misunderstood because he said "I had to install them from scratch as already embedded in ISO file", which made me think the ISO didn't have extended kernel integrated.

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Core 2 Duo ??? Geez ! Did you test with 398.11 ? Now try 382.16 - being from MS website, it has much less calls to the kernel, so less CPU cycles.

Do you think it will make a difference in fps ? I mean either way the system is powerful enough for this games , since they released in 2000s . And I know for a fact that even the G1030 can manage to hit at least 1080p 60 in this games.And did you test the 382.16 ? Did it make any kind of difference?

Edited by bromogatos309

On 1/15/2023 at 5:28 PM, VistaLover said:

AIUI, he had to install an (unofficial) Vista SP2 x64 .iso (made by a third party), with "a" version of the ExtKernel slipped-in... Only the person that made the ISO knows the exact version of the ExtKernel that was integrated in the ISO, @Voxo simply inquires whether it's at all possible to identify "that" version post ISO-install... :dubbio:

yes...

Edited by Tripredacus
removed link and text relating to warez