[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

59 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

Really? Have you tried it, especially Windows Vista x64 SP2 without any driver and updates (in VirtualBox and VMware), on 5th Intel Core generation or newer, using VT-x and VT-d?

Try install it in both VirtualBox and VMware and then send the screenshot to me through message. I would to know and check if it's successfully entered to desktop, or black screen with or without error message, before or after the welcome screen, or even the worse one, BSOD. And don't forget to reboot the VM multiple times after installing if the first time boot has little or no problems, to verify the bug effect. The screen must be black, with or without errors, before the welcome screen, in many chances.

vmware and virtualbox do virtualizations, there is no need to install intel or nvidia or whatever you want driver, only vmware's software (i forgot the name) or guest additions for virtual box; vitualization means it runs on top of your existing os, not directly on your hardware which is why the performance of a vm is way worse
have you never used a vm before? the timing problem has been looked into a billion times already

Edited by winvispixp

52 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

vmware and virtualbox do virtualizations, there is no need to install intel or nvidia or whatever you want driver, only vmware's software (i forgot the name) or guest additions for virtual box; vitualization means it runs on top of your existing os, not directly on your hardware which is why the performance of a vm is way worse
have you never used a vm before? the timing problem has been looked into a billion times already

But virtualization emulates everything except processors, unless if you disable VT-X and using Hyper-V (software-based acceleration). And that's equivalent to recompiler and interpreter mode in PlayStation emulation

Edited by Brickedandroid

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

But virtualization emulates everything except processors, unless if you disable VT-X and using Hyper-V (software-based acceleration). And that's equivalent to recompiler and interpreter mode in PlayStation emulation

and where are you hoping to get with this assuming that someone sends you screenshots? there are tons of people that don't want to use vms because of the worse performance

On 11/23/2022 at 11:50 AM, Brickedandroid said:

For anyone who has PC/laptop with 5th Intel Core processor or newer, try installing or dual-booting with Windows Vista x64 RTM. Because I think that most likely the Haswell TSC drift bug occurs since Service Pack 1

And I'm sorry for your inconvenience.

No, it also has it. It's just happens less frequently. 

10 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

@win32

Don't forget to also port the Windows 8.1's and Windows 10's functions to support Chrome 109 or later,

There is already a topic about that here:

10 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

because Chrome 108 is the last version for Windows 7

Chrome 109 is the last version for Windows 7, not Chrome 108.

Edited by mina7601

• 2 weeks later...

Would backporting the processr.sys driver file from Windows 7 build 6519 fix the Haswell+ TSC drift bug? (For the kernel-mode missing functions, please have a collaboration with @Mov AX, 0xDEAD's or @George King's NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender instead of adding them yourself to ntoskrnl.exe. Use Dependency Walker to check for the missing functions.)

Edited by Brickedandroid

4 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Would backporting the processr.sys driver file from Windows 7 build 6519 fix the Haswell+ TSC drift bug? (For the kernel-mode missing functions, please have a collaboration with @Mov AX, 0xDEAD's or @George King's NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender instead of adding them yourself to ntoskrnl.exe. Use Dependency Walker to check for the missing functions.)

I have added only few “improvements” to @Mov AX, 0xDEAD latest release. You can see changelog on GitHub.

14 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

The processor driver is primarily for power management, so it would probably not do anything. I might try my luck with a HAL wrapper eventually, as that seems plausible due to the kernel resolving export forwards for NTOSKRNL and HAL (but no other kernel mode modules, though the Xbox kernel might be different based on its inclusion of MmGetSystemRoutineAddressEx which works on all kernel mode modules). The binary patches to the HAL were not cutting it and I could not implement the TSC correction in any form as the system would get stuck in fence loops on boot.

And if export forwards don't work out, there are only 81 exports to duplicate in 6003's HAL.

But I still have to get NVIDIA 4xx drivers, make NVIDIA 36x+ work 100% by adding functions for Vulkan and OpenCL, not to mention the Windows 10-compliant implementation of job objects. And all kinds of odds and ends along the way!

This morning I got very annoyed with continuing printer driver issues on Windows 8.1 (and 10 is not much better). Nothing like that on 2000/XP/Vista (and maybe not 7 either).

5 hours ago, win32 said:

The processor driver is primarily for power management, so it would probably not do anything. I might try my luck with a HAL wrapper eventually, as that seems plausible due to the kernel resolving export forwards for NTOSKRNL and HAL (but no other kernel mode modules, though the Xbox kernel might be different based on its inclusion of MmGetSystemRoutineAddressEx which works on all kernel mode modules). The binary patches to the HAL were not cutting it and I could not implement the TSC correction in any form as the system would get stuck in fence loops on boot.

And if export forwards don't work out, there are only 81 exports to duplicate in 6003's HAL.

But I still have to get NVIDIA 4xx drivers, make NVIDIA 36x+ work 100% by adding functions for Vulkan and OpenCL, not to mention the Windows 10-compliant implementation of job objects. And all kinds of odds and ends along the way!

This morning I got very annoyed with continuing printer driver issues on Windows 8.1 (and 10 is not much better). Nothing like that on 2000/XP/Vista (and maybe not 7 either).

Support for both build 6002 and 6003 for the TSC drift fix