[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 9/30/2022 at 11:33 PM, win32 said:

This is not very relevant to this topic, but one would have to fill in the gaps and add XP/2003 functions in addition to the Vista+ functions for that to work properly. Then perhaps it could work, but there are some other ways in which the kernel side differs (XP has a distinct dxgkrnl, 2000 does not, but most XP graphics drivers were successfully ported to 2000, so perhaps the dxgkrnl functionality was implemented in win32k in 2000).

but did you think really there is missings in win32k.sys ? but win32k and ntoskrnl work very separately from each other , what makes you think this way about this problem !, Was there something similar you encountered with Vista in your comparison with Windows 7 ?

19 minutes ago, WinWord2000 said:

but did you think really there is missings in win32k.sys ? but win32k and ntoskrnl work very separately from each other , what makes you think this way about this problem !, Was there something similar you encountered with Vista in your comparison with Windows 7 ?

My ideas about win32k in 2000/XP are very speculative, but based on what Vista/7 do; in the latter two, graphics drivers call dxgkrnl through win32k through gdi32 to do things like initialize Vulkan. If anything needs to be added to win32k in 2000, I think BWC has covered it.

But there are other things that win32k in 2000 needs to have, like raw input support (that's why PCem/86box/Blender have issues with keyboard input).

On 10/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, win32 said:

I added WerUnregisterRuntimeExceptionModule and got Firefox 106 running. So it should not be too long.

Any updates on getting newer graphics driver working, especially AMD Radeon/Ryzen, working? I happen to have an AMD Radeon Stoney Ridge, so I can test graphics for that. I also have a thread about this if you want to move the discussion over there.

59 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Any updates on getting newer graphics driver working, especially AMD Radeon/Ryzen, working? I happen to have an AMD Radeon Stoney Ridge, so I can test graphics for that. I also have a thread about this if you want to move the discussion over there.

i get it, you want to get your things working, but i've seen this question so many times that it looks like spam now (nothing personal)
i mean it would've been easier to buy an old laptop or use a vm if you don't want to spend money (your time is more precious than 30 bucks)

Edited by winvispixp

21 hours ago, win32 said:

My ideas about win32k in 2000/XP are very speculative, but based on what Vista/7 do; in the latter two, graphics drivers call dxgkrnl through win32k through gdi32 to do things like initialize Vulkan. If anything needs to be added to win32k in 2000, I think BWC has covered it.

But there are other things that win32k in 2000 needs to have, like raw input support (that's why PCem/86box/Blender have issues with keyboard input).

If you can please explain these things to the ximonite, explain them to him, because it is apparent that missing functions in win32k are not related to ntoskrnl_emu not working , but in reality it's going to be a lot more work because there are no expected functions or expected structs. there is missing required to go more to xp kernel driver as for example UVC imagelist class TCPIP stack  

30 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

i get it, you want to get your things working, but i've seen this question so many times that it looks like spam now (nothing personal)
i mean it would've been easier to buy an old laptop or use a vm if you don't want to spend money (your time is more precious than 30 bucks)

Luckily, I do have an older Vista laptop (paired together with XP, 7, and 8.1) that I'm posting from right now. I just find it weird that the AMD Graphics drivers still keep in a blank section for a Windows version it does not support (the one I use has an NT6.0.amd64 section at the very bottom, but it is empty).

On 10/12/2022 at 4:55 PM, win32 said:

Speaking of Blender, the latest release (3.3.1) won't launch due to CreateFile2, but a Windows 7 compatible fork of it (https://github.com/nalexandru/BlenderCompat) seems to work just fine.

Edit: Turns out they implemented CreateFile2 and various GetPointer functions in bcompat7 (in the repo posted above, bcompat7 > bcompat7.c line 34), might be worth looking at adding something similar into the kernel globally.

Edited by JeBobs
Added some potentially useful info

1 hour ago, JeBobs said:

Speaking of Blender, the latest release (3.3.1) won't launch due to CreateFile2, but a Windows 7 compatible fork of it (https://github.com/nalexandru/BlenderCompat) seems to work just fine.

Edit: Turns out they implemented CreateFile2 and various GetPointer functions in bcompat7 (in the repo posted above, bcompat7 > bcompat7.c line 34), might be worth looking at adding something similar into the kernel globally.

That's not why it has problems on 2000... that's because of some user32 functions that have "RawInput" in their names.

But yes I made a stub of CreateFile2 months ago and now I will add it. I added the pointer functions awhile back. I also have another function used by the TBB runtime to add.

Edited by win32

10 minutes ago, win32 said:

But yes I made a stub of CreateFile2 months ago and now I will add it. I added the pointer functions awhile back. I also have another function used by the TBB runtime to add.

I have a feel that the next release of the extended kernel will be much different from the current one... is there a 'preview' changelog by the current state of development version? Mostly DirectX and deeply Windows 7 specific functions?

19 hours ago, win32 said:

That's not why it has problems on 2000... that's because of some user32 functions that have "RawInput" in their names.

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that I was talking about Blender running on Vista and not 2000 lol.

12 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Some exciting developments have happened in regards to getting newer AMD Radeon cards working with Vista under this kernel. Please watch the thread below for updates as they trickle in.

A huge development has happened in regards to getting Vista to work with newer AMD cards. For discussion on this and to see what has happened since last night, please take to the thread linked below. Thank you!

P.S. When this releases, Extended Kernel will need to be installed first.

Is there a way to install chocolatei on Windows Vista? It's a good way to update the installed software. However, never managed to install it on Windows Vista with the official command, and powershell core fails to start. Moreover, the system requirements are a bit confusing (Windows 7+ and Server 2003+) while Server 2003 is bassed on XP. It fails to get the protocol when I try the command in Vista. So I'm wondering if there is another way to install it on Server 2003/2008/Vista.

5 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

Is there a way to install chocolatei on Windows Vista? It's a good way to update the installed software. However, never managed to install it on Windows Vista with the official command, and powershell core fails to start. Moreover, the system requirements are a bit confusing (Windows 7+ and Server 2003+) while Server 2003 is bassed on XP. It fails to get the protocol when I try the command in Vista. So I'm wondering if there is another way to install it on Server 2003/2008/Vista.

Ok, I will answer to myself.

Download chocolatey latest version from Chocolatey.org

https://chocolatey.org/api/v2/package/chocolatey/
Rename file extension to .zip (not necesary, you can extract with 7z or similar tool)
Extract the file
Open PowerShell
Open elevated PowerShell calling:
Start-Process powershell -Verb runAs
Go to the tools folder in the location where you extracted Chocolatey
Call: & .\chocolateyInstall.ps1 to allow Chocolatey to install
Add a path to the choco location to system environment PATH:
C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin
Restart your consoles, and VS Code (if you use one)