[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I'm waiting for the new release with Chromium Fixed! There's another curious thing about Chromium and don't know if it was fixed. I'm talking about some pages wich directly crash sometimes, as an example, web.skype.com. Apparently, notifications aren't properly working (I'm talking about Push notifications). I'll make some tests with Windows 7, I just know that it's working fine on Windows 10. Maybe is necessary some wrapers to forward chrome notifications as system notifications so it would appear as it appears in Windows 10.

I have pushed the new extended kernel to the usual sites. Now I am working on the next thing and making progress:
unknown.png
It is almost done, there are just some issues with BCrypt now,

PowerShell 6.0.1 works completely now but that is .NET Core 2.0:
unknown.png

1 hour ago, SigmaTel71 said:

KERNELOL.DLL is no longer needed at SysWOW64?

Correct.

Edited by win32
Seemed like the wrong usage of "yes" - just another idiosyncrasy of the English language

21 hours ago, win32 said:

Powershell 6.0.1? What's that version of Powershell? (Win7/8.x/10/11). I'm really interested on that since the normal cmd of Vista has strange issues with the screen readers, the menu is not displayed properly, so I just use the Vista's narrator which I hate or access the cmd using VSCode. That's one of Vista's anoyance that is only on Vista, in XP and in Win7 cmd works properly, and trying Windows XP's cmd don't solve the issue.

I have pushed the new extended kernel to the usual sites. Now I am working on the next thing and making progress:

unknown.png
It is almost done, there are just some issues with BCrypt now,

PowerShell 6.0.1 works completely now but that is .NET Core 2.0:
unknown.png

I think .NET Core 6.0.6 is working good now. dotnet --help no longer fails.
unknown.png

I will have to test further and work on a couple of minor issues.

In the process, I have determined how MS will likely disable .NET Core on Windows 7. Calls to BCryptCreateHash are first done with a flag only supported on Windows 8 and up, then again without the flag if the call fails. They will remove that second fallback call right away in a cleanup of legacy code.

Edited by win32

On 7/30/2022 at 11:32 AM, win32 said:

I think .NET Core 6.0.6 is working good now. dotnet --help no longer fails.
unknown.png

I will have to test further and work on a couple of minor issues.

In the process, I have determined how MS will likely disable .NET Core on Windows 7. Calls to BCryptCreateHash are first done with a flag only supported on Windows 8 and up, then again without the flag if the call fails. They will remove that second fallback call right away in a cleanup of legacy code.

The new version of the extended kernel is coming in a big way:cheerleader:

Less library fighting, current frameworks that require Windows 8.x, even 10 or higher. And especially the Chromium extensions.

34 minutes ago, WinFX said:

The new version of the extended kernel is coming in a big way:cheerleader:

Less library fighting, current frameworks that require Windows 8.x, even 10 or higher. And especially the Chromium extensions.

.NET Core is still supporting Windows 7 for now. But it is hanging on by a thread.

But some Qt 6 applications have gone straight to Windows 10 only. And the big thing on Windows 10 seems to be winuser (user32) functions, mostly related to DPI scaling. I should work around those once .NET Core is settled (only thing is that Vista's support for neutral locales is almost non-existent, so I am implementing a neutral locale table). That will take me a few days as I want to ensure that the revised locale support is up-to-snuff and as good as Windows 8/10 (noting that most improvements were done in 7).

guys, here's my contribution to Windows Vista community! I decided to create a script which helps you with software spoofing and the extended Kernel

Here is the first release (v0.1.0), you just need to put it in the Windows directory and then run it. It will ask you for the Windows version, the build if you want to change it, and write the changes to osver.ini. The script was made in AutoIt so if you want you can take a look to the source code.

Now coming to the extended kernel, Qt 6 application support:
unknown.png

The kerning issues happen even on NT 6.4. I will look into that as well, but there is also some more work to do to get Qt 6.3.1 and later working as well.