[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 6/27/2022 at 11:05 PM, win32 said:

1 - It seems there was a partial fix,

2 - with regards to some timing things, but ultimately, I found that in practice issues persisted.

3 - And stability seems to vary based on the CPU. I've heard that 9700K is incredibly bad.

1 - In any case no one tells the KB number for it , so ...

2 - I don't doubt you , but how do you know it's a timing issue and not the same thing I described, with certain software that doesn't work on the iCore line ?

3- Unfortunately I don't live in Slovakia (which is in the TOP 3 rich countries of the world, I've been told this here recently, lol) , so I only bought the cheap 

Pentium G4620 for 100 Euro and any updates past 2016 simply render the Vista installation to the unusable state... If I remove the HDD and put to another 

PC - loads just fine ! Put back to the Kabylake PC - kaput. It's not even a partial anything - it's no loading at all . Well it may load like 1 time outta 38 .

Thank you very much win32 , always appreciate your answers (no jokes).

If anyone is interested in Windows Vista on AMD Radeon platforms like Stoney Ridge, please check out this thread:

I'm currently investigating the graphics driver for this platform to see how it can be ported to Vista. It does have a 6.0 section, so I'm hopeful this isn't too hard to do. If anyone wants to controbute anything useful to my project, feel free! Also note, Extended Kernel should not be needed for this.

I would like to switch to vista from 7 in my ryzen laptop but the nVME SSD isn't recognized in install (lack of appropriate driver likely) and vega 8 has no modded driver for it (there is a win7 one which i still have in backup as it may be down but i have no idea on how to mod it) I wonder if AMD graphics drivers could be modded in a more widespread compatible way, from radeon r4-r7 to vega and RDNA, but they are significantly distinct architectures.

1 hour ago, Jakob99 said:

If anyone is interested in Windows Vista on AMD Radeon platforms like Stoney Ridge, please check out this thread:

I'm currently investigating the graphics driver for this platform to see how it can be ported to Vista. It does have a 6.0 section, so I'm hopeful this isn't too hard to do. If anyone wants to controbute anything useful to my project, feel free! Also note, Extended Kernel should not be needed for this.

).

Edited by Eddie Phizika

1 hour ago, Eddie Phizika said:

I would like to switch to vista from 7 in my ryzen laptop but the nVME SSD isn't recognized in install (lack of appropriate driver likely) and vega 8 has no modded driver for it (there is a win7 one which i still have in backup as it may be down but i have no idea on how to mod it) I wonder if AMD graphics drivers could be modded in a more widespread compatible way, from radeon r4-r7 to vega and RDNA, but they are significantly distinct architectures.

).

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/request-generic-nvme-driver-for-windows-vista-server-2008/37256/15

You may try this driver. As for AMD Ryzen, I do not have one, so any drivers for that would be up to you or someone else, and idk if Ryzen Graphics drivers include a blank, 6.0 section like Radeon/Stoney Ridge graphics.. Plus, there is that USB3 issue that causes BSOD's on occasion, although the Haswell+ problem is not a factor. Thus, it would seem AMD Radeon platforms like R4, which came bundled with such laptops as Acer Aspire A315-21 (2019 and earlier) would be the more stable choice as I've yet to run into any issues that are of the scale of Haswell bug and Ryzen BSOD. Nvidia will also work, but idk if there are any issues in relation to newer Nvidia's.

I've got Vista installed with working graphics drivers and wifi drivers. The only issue is that I am unable to get OpenGL 4.4 support (needed for Minecraft 1.19) as these drivers are from 2012, so I am unable to play newer minecraft despite Adoptium Java working under extended kernel. Can I get the Windows 7 Intel HD 4000 drivers to work on Vista? I've tried inf modding and it installs correctly with a working control panel, but the driver fails to start.

33 minutes ago, positiveinlier said:

I've got Vista installed with working graphics drivers and wifi drivers. The only issue is that I am unable to get OpenGL 4.4 support (needed for Minecraft 1.19) as these drivers are from 2012, so I am unable to play newer minecraft despite Adoptium Java working under extended kernel. Can I get the Windows 7 Intel HD 4000 drivers to work on Vista? I've tried inf modding and it installs correctly with a working control panel, but the driver fails to start.

As I see driver version 15.22.54.64.2622 is the only one that exists oddly enough (As I have seen).So I don't know what you should do.You could try a driver from windows xp x64 and see if it's compatible as it seems like it's newer as it came out in 2013 (driver version 14.51.11.64.5437) but other than that I don't think there is much you can do.

Edited by bromogatos309

1 hour ago, positiveinlier said:

(needed for Minecraft 1.19)

i dont think you can run 1.18 and up because of a bug that doesn't load any world
1.17.1 was the latest version i can get running

This thread is specifically for discussing the Vista extended kernel.
Discussion about other drivers is off topic and should be done in dedicated threads please.
:)

• 2 weeks later...

Weird problem just out of the blue. Suddenly chrome 81 can't summon the save dialog (explorer window) for any file I try to save. 360 Explorer can . I'm using the new kernel in local mode.

What I did recently , before it happened . Installed the 377 driver and everything was fine . Just noticed this today , so I rolled back to the famous 376 , but the problem didn't go away .

What to check ? Thanks.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:52 AM, positiveinlier said:

I can't get 1.18 minecraft to load because of OpenGL so I can't test

It doesn't work. upon creating a world the game just locks up after creation and loading. and loading an existing world also results in the same thing.(yes i tried on 1.18, 1.18.1, and 1.19)

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

Support for installing Chromium extensions, saving their settings, as well as keeping cookies and other settings has been implemented:
unknown.png

The original objective was to fix the "CultureNotSupported"-related exceptions that prevented .NET Core 5 from working, but under the belief that the .NET and Chromium issues were connected, I worked on solving the issue using Chromium. It turns out that .NET's issues are unrelated.

Edited by win32