[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

20 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

I can't install it, the installer fails while creating the .bak files. Tried too in safe mode, it apparently installs but no modified files in system32/syswow64 when I checked. How can I solve it?

Do you happen to have a space character in your Windows user name? The new installer seems to dislike spaces. Does it work if you create a new temporary admin user without any spaces in the user name?

It looks like when there's a space in the user name, the installer changes the owner of the target system files to the current user but isn't able to grant permissions, so renaming to .bak fails. The installer is able to grant the current user full control when there is no space in the name (it looks like via icacls.exe - so might be an issue with missing quotation marks?)

8 hours ago, Bizzbob said:

Do you happen to have a space character in your Windows user name? The new installer seems to dislike spaces. Does it work if you create a new temporary admin user without any spaces in the user name?

It looks like when there's a space in the user name, the installer changes the owner of the target system files to the current user but isn't able to grant permissions, so renaming to .bak fails. The installer is able to grant the current user full control when there is no space in the name (it looks like via icacls.exe - so might be an issue with missing quotation marks?)

Thank you all for your feedback.

It does appear that I left out quotation marks in my calls to icacls.

And as for the issues with backup restoration, I had originally built the feature around the ability to restore an unbootable system, which is why it requests that you input the Windows folder path. As such it can restore any file not loaded into memory quite easily. As for situations where the backup runs online, it is tougher. The MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT flag in MoveFileEx would not be suitable, as ntoskrnl would be loaded when that would take effect.

Perhaps the files in memory can be moved somewhere else before moving the backups. A scheduled task-executable could delete the folder containing these files at next boot.

8 hours ago, win32 said:

You're welcome ! I tested it and I had zero troubles, unlike the others. Could you please include the wretched GetThreadErrorMode in the next release ? I wanna play MK11. Thank you.

6 hours ago, win32 said:

Perhaps the files in memory can be moved somewhere else before moving the backups. A scheduled task-executable could delete the folder containing these files at next boot.

Just thinking, the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value might be the easiest way to do this, if you need to delete in-use files at next boot? It's a MULTI_SZ value where each line alternates between source and destination file names (both prefixed with \??\), but if the destination line is empty, the source file is deleted instead of being renamed at reboot. It won't delete non-empty folders though.

Edit: also won't delete an in-use ntdll.dll as that's loaded before the above takes effect, so it needs to be renamed before reboot and then deleted at boot. Located in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager.

Edited by Bizzbob

42 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

has anyone tried chrome or chromium? long time has passed since i've seen someone mention these two

Yes, latest version of Chrome (102.0.5005.115) works perfectly. I run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode with no issues.

Just now, mina7601 said:

Yes, latest version of Chrome (102.0.5005.115) works perfectly. I run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode with no issues.

do extensions work? i would test that myself but im not at home

On 6/15/2022 at 4:42 AM, win32 said:

It does appear that I left out quotation marks in my calls to icacls.

And as for the issues with backup restoration, I had originally built the feature around the ability to restore an unbootable system, which is why it requests that you input the Windows folder path. As such it can restore any file not loaded into memory quite easily. As for situations where the backup runs online, it is tougher. The MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT flag in MoveFileEx would not be suitable, as ntoskrnl would be loaded when that would take effect.

What that f***? I never thought that I must provide the path of Windows folder! Maybe it wasn't properly labelled. I moved the files manually, but since 32 bit apps crash I'll reinstall it and try with the provided installer putting the Windows folder directory in the first prompt.

18 hours ago, winvispixp said:

do extensions work? i would test that myself but im not at home

Some of them do ! You gotta search for the ones that are "always on" . I mean NO "OFF" switch . Because if they have it , chrome will turn them off , always . 

Also they have to be without "locales".  Example : Easy WebRTC Block version 1.1.0 works fine for me with chrome 103.

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Some of them do ! You gotta search for the ones that are "always on" . I mean NO "OFF" switch . Because if they have it , chrome will turn them off , always . 

Also they have to be without "locales".  Example : Easy WebRTC Block version 1.1.0 works fine for me with chrome 103.

In that case, if I remove the locales the extensions will work? It seems that there where a similar trick, but now I can't remember it.

3 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

In that case, if I remove the locales the extensions will work? It seems that there where a similar trick, but now I can't remember it.

Yes , but not all , only *some* . Don't forget, you need to look for the ones without the "off" switch. Adblockers don't work anyways . There was a trick described by @Dixel , but I can't find it now . In short , only chrome 81 will work with the adblocker if you remove the locales.