[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

5 hours ago, burd said:

According to recent news, Firefox 100 requires the SHA-2 update for windows 7, would vista require the same should one want to use it? i wonder.

I've just tested Firefox 100.0b9 and 101.0a1 (released today) on:

• Windows 7 sp1 with no updates newer than 2015 installed (KB3033929 SHA-2 update)
  • Vista 6003 with extended kernel and KB4474419 SHA-2 update

Both versions work on Windows 7

On Vista only firefox 100 works, while 101 displays the following error when any tab is opened:

errorfirefox.thumb.png.b1dfc5a4bbd3d73fa57459332b323dad.png

I don't know if this error is SHA-2 related at all as Vista actually utilizes a newer SHA-2 update.

On 4/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, TSNH said:

I've just tested Firefox 100.0b9 and 101.0a1 (released today) on:

• Windows 7 sp1 with no updates newer than 2015 installed (KB3033929 SHA-2 update)
  • Vista 6003 with extended kernel and KB4474419 SHA-2 update

Both versions work on Windows 7

On Vista only firefox 100 works, while 101 displays the following error when any tab is opened:

Firefox nightly (and some beta builds) have had this issue since version 93. It is always corrected in time for the late betas (b7-b9) and the general release. I haven't been able to track it down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, Ark_mage2180 said:

Except of Windows Installer. It still crashes when I try to install most MSI-depending apps.

I’m having this problem too; whenever I try to install just about anything, I’ll get the same exact “Windows Installer has crashed” message. I try installing Halo off CD-ROM, and the crash message appears about 2-3 times throughout the setup. It’ll “install” in spite of this, but the game won’t launch at all if you try opening it. It installs fine on other systems, and other CD-ROM games I’ve tried installing have had no success (notably Fable: TLC).

I’ve also had other funky behaviour as well. I tried the Vista version of Spotify; without extended kernel it works, but with it installed it’ll crash upon launch and I’ll receive a Data Execution Prevention notification about it in the corner, regardless of whether DEP is turned on or off. 

This is with Vista fully updated (including Server ‘08 updates) and the latest extended kernel, of course.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, bromogatos309 said:

Hello has anyone tried a 2022 version of steam client that works on extended kernel ? Just wondering

It doesn't work as modern steam client relies on a version of chromium that isn't working yet on extended kernel (afaik same reason official discord client doesn't run

Yep , several later chromes were not launching , true . But I replaced some stupid function and it opened no probs. But what good would any new chrome would be if the extesions still don't work anyways ? And it seems no one's gunna fix it.

17 hours ago, bigfeller said:

This is with Vista fully updated (including Server ‘08 updates)

Excuse me for a slight off-top. How did you manage to do it ? As far as I know , the later updates won't install without a proper ESU licence. They just "configuring" endlessly.

"If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU."

Like this one , see known issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-10-2021-kb5005095-security-only-update-a324fdbb-ce90-4c4d-8d9d-e9f2f2a57e0e

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 6:11 AM, winvispixp said:

it's been a while since you, win32, mentioned a new release.. any info about that? :D

The 32 bit part of it is very broken now. I am trying to fix it.

However, I consider the new 64 bit enhancements to be finished.

Edited by win32