[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 12/30/2021 at 12:33 AM, Ark_mage2180 said:

Unfortunately when I try to install this update installer says that Windows modules installer must be updated (my system is fully patched to 2017, and have installed the 3 SHA-2 updates (KB4039648-v2, KB4493730 and KB4474419), do I need to install any additional patches to install that 2021 update/fix Windows Installer?

Update: My friend reported the same issue (same system setup as mine). @win32 I think you can take a look at it.

Please screenshot the error and send privately to me

18 hours ago, windows2 said:

Hi, @win32 I replaced the old kernel32.dll with my new kernel32.dll, and I applied all the advice you told me with this, the BsoD appeared in the startup of the system. I did not know the reason for this Do you have an idea?

2073430854_VirtualBox_WindowsNT4_04_01_2022_20_50_36.png.6b37d397e8f7bf97923a4c17d490550c.png

I have created a new version. and i uncheck the rebuild header option, and i press the rebuild checksum in all modification

Hi, i think you may want to take a look at this post by @junior600.

2 hours ago, WinWord2000 said:

Hi, i think you may want to take a look at this post by @junior600.

I think the task is very difficult, even junior600  I cannot communicate with him, he has not opened his account for a year or more.

I will ask BWC when I am free and have time to work on this project.

Thank you any way.

@win32 Hi, have you an idea about how to make VirtualBox to creat the MEMORY.DMP file , I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\CrashDumpEnabled and changed the value to 1 ,but it didn't solve the problem , I need to know the new BaseAddress of the kernel32.dll with WinDbg to solve the problem .

On 10/14/2021 at 2:15 AM, UCyborg said:

You can try my Vista compatible rebuild. Though some specific functionality may still be missing. Patches required to get the latest version 3.16 to compile with MinGW32 included. I have a repo with old Rufus code on GitHub, wanted to publish it there, but they changed something about the login procedure. Maybe I'll figure it out some other time.

rufus-3.16.zip

Hi , is it possible to remove the nulcear blast warning from it ? Otherwise , this tool is great ! Much better than the original one. (that didn;t work at all).

I answered , "yes , I'm sure" . Yet it always asks me again.

15 hours ago, windows2 said:

@win32 Hi, have you an idea about how to make VirtualBox to creat the MEMORY.DMP file , I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\CrashDumpEnabled and changed the value to 1 ,but it didn't solve the problem , I need to know the new BaseAddress of the kernel32.dll with WinDbg to solve the problem .

If this is what I think it is (NT 4), then I think it may not be possible to generate a dump early in boot. I could not in Vista when it was time to initialize ntdll as well.

If you bugcheck early enough, no text will be printed on screen except for the four bug check parameters.

6 hours ago, win32 said:

If this is what I think it is (NT 4), then I think it may not be possible to generate a dump early in boot. I could not in Vista when it was time to initialize ntdll as well.

If you bugcheck early enough, no text will be printed on screen except for the four bug check parameters.

I will try with an old computer, I hope it will work well, and I hope the operation will be successful.

Otherwise, there would be no other way to find out the new BaseAddress ! :unsure:

On 1/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, win32 said:

I was always told that NT4 was exceptionally tough. I'm not even sure if the approaches we use for 2000 and Vista are applicable here.

Ouch, I’m assuming it’s the same for NT 3.51? I really wan’t to do a mini kernelex for the OS, but I wan’t to know if windows2 can get the modified NT4 kernel32.dll to work first if that is the case.

19 hours ago, windows2 said:

I will try with an old computer, I hope it will work well, and I hope the operation will be successful.

I hope so too.

3 hours ago, testaccount66766 said:

Ouch, I’m assuming it’s the same for NT 3.51? I really wan’t to do a mini kernelex for the OS, but I wan’t to know if windows2 can get the modified NT4 kernel32.dll to work first if that is the case.

I hope so too.

I have a problem with my old computer, it does not have a working CD reader, and it has Windows 95 , and at the same time it's Pentium 2 , it cannot and does not have a USB boot feature in the BIOS.. I could not install Windows NT 4 yet. I have a big problem with time, I started working in a web development company and studying at the same time. I'll try to install Windows NT 4 later, and I'll tell you if it works or not. If Windows NT 4 succeeds in creating the memory.dmp file, I will get the new baseAddress, and the new kernel32 will work. I hope it works :angel

Edited by windows2

On 1/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, Dixel said:

Hi , is it possible to remove the nulcear blast warning from it ?

Probably, never looked into it. The author of the program presumably put it there because bad actors apparently love trying to use his program as the vessel for bad stuff.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:34 PM, Dixel said:

I answered , "yes , I'm sure" . Yet it always asks me again.

Yup, it's not saved anywhere.

I may take a look next weekend.

Hello everyone that is online - I have a problem with the latest release of Extended Kernel (the November 2021 Release). It just gives me a Blue Screen of Death when I start up the machine. I'm pretty sure (by looking at other people's problems), but I downloaded an ISO with the latest updates on it. But, I believe Microsoft has switched to SHA-2 for updates - so I can't check for them. Any idea what update I can be missing? Or even simpler, how do I repair the system with the original files? I am currently at the command prompt by hitting shift-F10 in the setup CD. Any help would be appreciated, thank you guys. I don't know a ton of information about Ext. Kernel for Vista.

15 hours ago, forumlurker said:

Hello everyone that is online - I have a problem with the latest release of Extended Kernel (the November 2021 Release). It just gives me a Blue Screen of Death when I start up the machine. I'm pretty sure (by looking at other people's problems), but I downloaded an ISO with the latest updates on it. But, I believe Microsoft has switched to SHA-2 for updates - so I can't check for them. Any idea what update I can be missing? Or even simpler, how do I repair the system with the original files? I am currently at the command prompt by hitting shift-F10 in the setup CD. Any help would be appreciated, thank you guys. I don't know a ton of information about Ext. Kernel for Vista.

Hey guys, quick update: system restore restored it to a earlier point. I'm now gonna install the updates that vinvispixp listed above, see if that will work.

Edited by forumlurker

58 minutes ago, forumlurker said:

Hey guys, quick update: system restore restored it to a earlier point, but as I said, i downloaded a fully updated ISO, i don't know if the author forgot to put an update or i'm just stupid. Here is the link to the

that's only up to apr 2017 (it has every update, trust me, i made that)

you need sha 2 support (kb4474419 + kb4493730 which are post apr 2017 updates from win server 2008 and updated root certificates; hopefully i haven't forgotten something)

also i don't think you are allowed to share that link here

Edited by winvispixp