[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

Just now, win32 said:

You can do it in CFF Explorer. Go to rebuilder, only check "Update Checksum", "Rebuild" then save.

I did this part after adding the function using ExportTableTester. Do I rebuild after patching kernel32.dll with IDA?

Just now, windows2 said:

I did this part after adding the function using ExportTableTester. Do I rebuild after patching kernel32.dll with IDA?

Yes. But don't rebuild the PE header. That doesn't work out as well. The checksum needs to be corrected every time the file is modified.

Edited by win32

5 minutes ago, win32 said:

But don't rebuild the PE header.

I rebuilt the PE header on the first etape when I add the function using ExportTableTester. This means that I have to do everything again. Without building a PE head ?

1 minute ago, windows2 said:

I rebuilt the PE header on the first etape when I add the function using ExportTableTester. This means that I have to do everything again. Without building a PE head ?

If it doesn't boot, then you might have to consider doing that.

38 minutes ago, win32 said:

If it doesn't boot, then you might have to consider doing that.

Well, thank you for all this important informations :) . You are a great explainer :thumbup . I'll give it a try later, and hopefully I don't have to redo everything.

I apologize for the bad writing in English.

Edited by windows2

I am having an issue where Undertale, a game which can run on XP natively, has issues where it can't find KernelOL.DLL. I renamed kernel32.dll.bak to kernelol.dll but that didn't do anything. Deltarune has this issue too, but that game is built for 7 and later so that could be just a Vista problem.

Disregard all that. I was stupid and didn't use the search function on this site. Figured out I needed to do it in SysWOW64 instead of SYSTEM32... oddly the audio doesn't work with the game.

image.png

Edited by Tonny52

Hi. I have a huge request. Could someone show me step by step how to add these functions to Kernel32? I would love to contribute to the development of this system. greetings

Edited by Welder

2 hours ago, Welder said:

Hi. I have a huge request. Could someone show me step by step how to add these functions to Kernel32? I would love to contribute to the development of this system. greetings

I created a basic tutorial to learn the basics of this stuff. The tutorial will be available on my profile, when MSFN unhide it.

Hello everyone ! I would like to know how to find my Windows Vista sidebar on the Extended Kernel.
Because since the new versions of the Extended Kernel I do not have access to this sidebar.
Currently I have to use the Extended Kernel of Windows Vista from December 2020 to keep my sidebar.
I did some tests with or without the hotfixes and that doesn't change anything because you just have to apply the new explorer.exe but the sidebar is not available.Capturer.thumb.JPG.0e1f6a628e001b673a37da0d4f369c35.JPG

Hey everyone, I hope you had a great christmas time with your families.

I wanted to know if the Extended Kernel is still getting developed and when we can except to see programs like Office 2013, Skype or Spotify running on Vista.

By the way, I dont know if anybody can help me out but I have an old acer aspire one 725 (AMD C70, 2012?) at home on which I installed Vista (with Ex.K.) but I can't get Graphics Drivers to work. The minimum drivers which are offered are for Windows 7 (although the Netbook was shipped with Win8). I can launch the installer even without Extended Kernel, it also installs completly normal without any errors (literally the log says no errors) but after restarting nothing has changed. When I do same on Windows 7 it also shows Aero. Device Manager says that the driver was installed fine 

13 hours ago, LiptonAcer said:

I did some tests with or without the hotfixes and that doesn't change anything because you just have to apply the new explorer.exe but the sidebar is not available

in the mega folder there's a folder called "sidebar redirection files for 2018+ update users" and inside that you'll find a dll

copy that dll to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe.local

*you* must create the siderbar.exe.local folder

then you need to run DLLredirectionenabler.reg from the mega folder and restart

Edited by winvispixp

Hello, I have a little problem with latest kernel release. Everytime I want to install any MSI-depending app (no matter if it's supported natively or with extended kernel), Windows Installer keeps crashing. I din't have this problem on previous releases of kernel.

image.png.604bf9c9cadb6bb7ed210053f82d82d3.png

Edited by Ark_mage2180