[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 11/11/2021 at 10:36 AM, winvispixp said:

i think that's on chromes end

but if chrome could be installed (and im not referring to a portable install) they should work

No , they don't . Please , try yourself. First off , they will whine about "locale not found" , but even if you'll able to install , they will pretend they work when the actually don't. Also , most are auto-switched OFF after you restart your browser. Let's say you try any well-known ad-blocker . 

Hello guys!! I am again.....

Please help me:

I am trying to install Vista extended kernel and after do a restart my system get a bsod on bootup, and no bootup anymore.

I tried several versions (runned the setup via cmd batch file on the newer version.) .... f/ this link:

I confess: i do not watch all the 30 minutes of video, but  i watched the install on he explaining how to install...

I am not good with english... So pls help me!!!

My hardware > > lenovo ideapad 330s, i5 8250u - 8 gb ram ddr4 - 1tb hdd sata.

I peform several times a clean install and try 3 different iso files.

I am doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, triple said:

Hello guys!! I am again.....

Please help me:

I am trying to install Vista extended kernel and after do a restart my system get a bsod on bootup, and no bootup anymore.

I tried several versions (runned the setup via cmd batch file on the newer version.) .... f/ this link:

I confess: i do not watch all the 30 minutes of video, but  i watched the install on he explaining how to install...

I am not good with english... So pls help me!!!

My hardware > > lenovo ideapad 330s, i5 8250u - 8 gb ram ddr4 - 1tb hdd sata.

I peform several times a clean install and try 3 different iso files.

I am doing something wrong?

This video is rather outdated.

Follow the guide here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/

Make sure you have all the necessary windows updates installed and don't forget about running the "bcdedit /set {current} nointegritychecks yes" command if you are replacing files manually.

btw: Windows Vista has problems with running properly on Haswell or newer Intel CPUs (this includes i5 8250u), they are described here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177509-windows-vista-intel-haswell-issues-documentation/

On Betawiki there is an information that those problems were solved/reduced in the 6003 version of hal.dll, but it's still not known if the information is correct. You are welcome to test this. KB4474419 is one of updates that contain the 6003 hal.dll (it requires KB4493730 to be installed first). You need a 6003 update to install the extended kernel anyway.

3 hours ago, TSNH said:

but it's still not known if the information is correct.

What do you mean "still not known" ? I tested myself on several Haswell boards and declared this "info" to be fake news. I'd be very glad if it worked !  Also , there's Jakob88 who tested it . Do you have a reason not to trust MSFN members ? Why do you still continue to spread these "news" ?

Edited by Dixel
Made a typo in Jacob's name it's Jacob99 , not 88 , sorry.

Thanks for the quick reply.

, @TSNH in your second link (this below) the author says that there is no solution for recent cpus (in my case kaby lake - r) (and i having the INTERACTIVE LOGON problem )

This link is from 2018? New versions have some solution for us?

I use a iso from archive.org that all updates are installed. I will download the updates from 2017-2020 (W.Server 2008) and the updates he said.

And guys - Another question. do you have the drivers for the intel dual band ac3165 and for the intel usb 3.0 controller?

I have try use some drivers from http://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/ <- this guy.

In this forum has a xhci drivers 4 vista but media fire link is down

Thanks for the time and help @Dixel@TSNH

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

there's Jakob88 who tested it

On 10/15/2021 at 4:50 PM, Jakob99 said:

Installing KB4493471 will fix it somewhat, however, on occasion I still get a "Login initialization process has failed" message, but it isn't often. I would say that the bugs aren't fully fixed, but are greatly reduced.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

I tested myself on several Haswell boards

You really could have said that earlier.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Do you have a reason not to trust MSFN members ? Why do you still continue to spread these "news" ?

Assuming those 2 reports of partial success are just placebo effects and that you have tested this on multiple Haswell boards, this information can be called "fake". Until now, no one has proved it to be true or false and I couldn't myself either as I don't have a proper hardware to do this.

1 hour ago, Teeotsa said:

Hey, where could i get "Extended Kernel" files? Can someone share link with me? :dubbio:

Yesterday one of MSFN users posted a link to a YouTube video on this forum. You might want to take a look at it ;)

20 hours ago, TSNH said:

You really could have said that earlier.

Assuming those 2 reports of partial success are just placebo effects and that you have tested this on multiple Haswell boards, this information can be called "fake". Until now, no one has proved it to be true or false and I couldn't myself either as I don't have a proper hardware to do this.

Yeah. i tried it on my lone Haswell board and didn't get any errors upon starting, but after using it for a little bit, I noticed errors. Instead of derailing this thread, I will create a new thread related to the Haswell and later issues and link to it here once it is up.

EDIT: Here it is:

Edited by Jakob99

On 11/12/2021 at 2:15 AM, triple said:

There's a way to get Intel Dual Band AC3165 Wirelless Card and USB 3.0 from Intel in Windows vista extended??

On 11/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, triple said:

Someone has a Intel DualBand AC3165 Wireless card driver 4 vista???

On 11/16/2021 at 8:20 PM, triple said:

do you have the drivers for the intel dual band ac3165?

41 minutes ago, triple said:

someone has a modified Intel DualBand AC 3165 Wireless Card drivers for vista?

... I realise you're feeling desperate, but... your request for help was noted the first time around; posting multiple identical requests in the same page thread and within a very short timespan won't expedite things for you... :( ; assuming what you ask for even exists among MSFN members... :dubbio:

Please, revisit Forum rule 2.a:

» Posting Guidelines

2.a Use some common sense. Do not create identical topics or make identical posts in more than one forum.
Think before posting and choose the right topic for your question or answer.
Do not "bump" newly created topics until at least 24 hours have passed.
If a topic has been "bumped" three times without any new replies,
please consider reviewing and editing your original post and adding any information
which you think may help other members in answering your question(s) or concern(s).

I understand the "letter" of it might not fully apply here, but the "spirit" of it does... ;)

Kind regards

On 11/7/2021 at 11:14 PM, VistaLover said:

sorry for the very late reply

it does open without any errors but the most recent version requires netframework 4.8 so you're stuck on 13.0.1 or whatever the last was supporting nfw 4.6.2

Just to let anyone know who is using a driver updater such as Driver Booster while osver.ini is in the Windows folder. When that file is present in the Windows folder, the driver updater will try to update your Vista drivers to the Windows 7 version. With this, it is better to update after getting Internet driver but before installing Extended Kernel and osver.ini. While you can continue on with the installation, most of the drivers will error out in Device Manager, forcing you to roll back. If your driver updater prompts you to update the drivers to the 7 version, just ignore that and all future updates to that device as it currently will not work.

It is thanks to Driver Booster thinking the 7 drivers would work that I ended up with a partially broken Intel Control Panel. Please do note that this white and blue control panel only appears if installing Intel HD 4000 Graphics on Windows 7 and later. Windows Vista and earlier get the black, transparent control panel (called Extreme Graphics) unless you have osver.ini and your driver updater installs the 7 driver.

Windows7Intel.JPG

I can't get the os spoofer working. I use extended kernel with local redirection and .exe.local files. I can't get waterfox working, it's still tell that it's not a valid Win32 application. What would I need to do in order to use the Extended Kernel with Os Spoofer with the local redirection as I did with the normal extended Kernel?