[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 11/4/2021 at 7:09 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Do you have BSODs before you install the antivirus that I think might be Webroot, or only after??

the bsods happen on fresh installs of both vista and server 2008. and continues to happen unless i have windows in debug mode. in fact it starts happening happens before the 2nd part of setup after the first reboot from Windows PE. so yeah they happen before i install anything. including the extended kernel. i think i mentioned it before. but i also had this problem on another uefi capable machine

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

4 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Does anyone know if .net framework 4.8 works under Vista? If so, how do I get it working.

it kinda works. i cant test it properly because fsr i cant open anything on server 2008 without an error

Today i tried Firefox 91.3.0 ESR on Windows Vista with the new extended kernel. It looks like there is some problem with font rendering... (Same issue with Firefox 94, Firefox 78 works fine)

1164079647_firefoxfont.thumb.JPG.ac87e77e855a884ecb12321d140f7558.JPG

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Edited by TSNH
91.3.0 not 93.3.0

22 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Does anyone know if .net framework 4.8 works under Vista? If so, how do I get it working.

Installation is possible, but I would advise against it because you will get missing dependency errors with .NET software that should work on vanilla Vista (see this May 17, 2019 post). Unless you simply must test some program that specifically requires 4.8, you would get better results with any lower 4.x version.

36 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

IDK then, but your issue seems OT here.

oh. lets address the other issue im having. 

i posted about it earlier(find the post as it will have context). but alot of applications are failing to start and idk why

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

Today i tried Firefox 91.3.0 ESR on Windows Vista with the new extended kernel. It looks like there is some problem with font rendering... (Same issue with Firefox 94, Firefox 78 works fine)

1164079647_firefoxfont.thumb.JPG.ac87e77e855a884ecb12321d140f7558.JPG

Does anyone know how to solve this?

I believe the previous extended kernel had the same issue. Aside from sticking with Firefox 88 or below, you could try the hex edits in win32’s September 11 post. Edit: Next post suggests that this advice no longer applies.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Just now, Vistapocalypse said:

I believe the previous extended kernel had the same issue. Aside from sticking with Firefox 88 or below, you could try the hex edits in win32’s September 11 post.

Thanks for reply. It looks like i had a spelling error in my osver.ini file.

image.png.80a4466a8edc40240cf423ddc2567a64.png

No hex editing is needed!

10 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Installation is possible, but I would advise against it because you will get missing dependency errors with .NET software that should work on vanilla Vista (see this May 17, 2019 post). Unless you simply must test some program that specifically requires 4.8, you would get better results with any lower 4.x version.

I'm trying to run Bloons TD 6 Steam version. What is weird is that the game worked in the past with the Kernel and without .net framework 4.8 (it would prompt me to install it, but I could still run it), but now doesn't. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it, but it throws an error. I should note that the game and steam are in my osver.ini file (otherwise it will tell me there is no connection). I should note that Bloons TD 5, also from Steam works, but this game was released when Steam still supported Vista.

4 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

I'm trying to run Bloons TD 6 Steam version. What is weird is that the game worked in the past with the Kernel and without .net framework 4.8 (it would prompt me to install it, but I could still run it), but now doesn't. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it, but it throws an error. I should note that the game and steam are in my osver.ini file (otherwise it will tell me there is no connection). I should note that Bloons TD 5, also from Steam works, but this game was released when Steam still supported Vista.

I used to have .net framework 4.7.2 installed on Vista. Some programs displayed an error "A programs has stopped working", but I could minimize it (not close) and the application worked fine (for example BlueStacks3), others like Visual Studio 2010 Express didn't run at all. Currently I use 4.6.1 (officially supported on Server 2008), but 4.6.2 is stable too. Most modern programs still support those versions.

I tried to run Windows 8 task manager (much better that Vista/7 one) on Windows Vista with extended kernel and got this error:

taskmgrerror.JPG.52fc0e3431b7856b9a73844474c192f9.JPG

Translation: Cannot launch the application, because it's simultaneous configuration is invalid. More details can be found in the application's event log.

Event log screenshot:

eventlog.PNG.d73b146d1f8af4f958d1117ecd32d2eb.PNG

Translation: Cannot generate the activation context for [path]. The setting http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings^autoElevate is not registered.

Does anyone know how to "register" this thing? (I have no idea what "simultaneous configuration" or "activation context" are :))

EDIT:

At first I thought that "WindowsSettings" is somehow UWP related, but it looks like it's not, because the website above was created in 2009 http://web.archive.org/web/20090625053858/http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings^autoElevate. It has been broken for 12 years now:thumbdown.

Edited by TSNH