[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

31 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Also, any progress on Win7+ drivers? Perhaps if we can lend a hand, we can narrow down the issues that currently prevent Win7+ drivers from working and get them one step closer to working.

i guess the global osver.ini thing should help

4 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

i guess the global osver.ini thing should help

Unless I configured it incorrectly, it did not. Launching the AMD installer threw an error complaining that it could not find a dll. Using Have Disk to install it caused a Code 39.

osver.ini can be a pickle to work with. I used it and upon restart, the theme was a mashup of Aero and Windows Classic, explorer windows were slow to open, and a slew of other things happened. Once I was able to move the file out of C:\Windows and to the desktop and restarted, I was fine. Here's the contents of my file if I did anything wrong.

[C:\Users\Jakob\Downloads\Firefox Setup 94.0.exe]
Enabled=1
FirefoxFix=1

[global]
Win7SuperVerFix=1
FirefoxFix=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=6003
;CSDVersion=
PlatformID=0

10 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

[C:\Users\Jakob\Downloads\Firefox Setup 94.0.exe]
Enabled=1
FirefoxFix=1

[global]
Win7SuperVerFix=1
FirefoxFix=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=6003
;CSDVersion=
PlatformID=0

i think you need Enabled=1 inside [global] and the build number should be 7601 (thats win 7 sp1), PlatformID should be 2 and delete that ; before CSDVersion

and given thats a global thing the firefox one could be disabled (Enabled=0)

that's what I would put inside that file based on my logic; I might be wrong tho

Also there is absolutely a problem with kaspersky and I think it crashes when it stars to automatically scan the system because then I do it manually it works

late edit: apparently it crashes when opening firefox, but only sometimes; maybe it happens because of kaspersky secure connection? i've never used it and I think this version isn't even supported anymore because it doesn't load

i feel like even malware would crash on this lol

Maybe my problems appear due to having older releases (of ex kernel) stacked on each other so right now I'm testing everything in a vm, tho a real machine would be much better

late edit: even in a vm msi afterburner crashes, kaspersky can't even be installed inside a vm (even on vanilla vista)

Edited by winvispixp

6 hours ago, winvispixp said:

i think you need Enabled=1 inside [global] and the build number should be 7601 (thats win 7 sp1), PlatformID should be 2 and delete that ; before CSDVersion

and given thats a global thing the firefox one could be disabled (Enabled=0)

that's what I would put inside that file based on my logic; I might be wrong tho

The program specific overrides take precedence over global settings.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:44 AM, D.Draker said:

Do you have this update , also ? KB4493471  .

no i dont.

Edit:i installed it just now. didnt fix anything. one thing i should mention is i get 0x0000001E in bsod format i mentioned before EVEN ON A FRESH INSTALL. so idk how to get rid of it. 

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

59 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

Edit: i installed it [KB4493471] just now. didnt fix anything.

That update is not required, and D.Draker probably thought it was causing your problem even though your BSOD is not Win32k.sys as reported by Avast/AVG users in 2019.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

1 minute ago, Vistapocalypse said:

That update is not required, and D.Draker probably thought it was causing your problem even though your BSOD is not Win32k.sys as reported by Avast/AVG users in 2019.

oh i dont use either of those AVs. well any idea on how to fix it. the stop code shows up before the loading bar can(and only if windows is NOT using the /debug boot parameter)

1 hour ago, win32 said:

The program specific overrides take precedence over global settings.

Are we getting closer to Windows 7 driver support? I used your osver.ini file to change the version over to 6.1 (7601: Service Pack 1) and opened the AMD Radeon R4 graphics installer. It complained about difxapi.dll missing so I copied that over from a 7 install into System32. I got the installer to open, but it told me that my operating system is not supported (even though I spoofed the version to be 6.1 7601). Installing through Have Disk produces a code 39. I did however get Elantech Touchpad drivers working under Vista. The version I have is 11.6.2.1 and unless they still support Vista, I got a Windows 7+ driver working. Installing Qualcomm Atheros QCA9335 or whatever the Qualcomm driver the Acer Aspire A315-21 uses does not appear to work. Using Have Disk tells me it is unsupported.