[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

3 hours ago, winvispixp said:

What are the exact updates needed to run this? (Besides apr 2017 and the others that were needed for the last version)

They are the same as the previous version.

1 hour ago, Vistafand said:

KERNELOL.DLL was not found

This should now be fixed in the latest installer. Although it is recommended that users who have already run the installer rename kernel32.dll.bak to kernelol.dll in syswow64.

Here are some more details for usage of osver.ini.

You can set settings per-application as above (set Enabled=1 as well), or set them for the entire system by making an entry appended with "[global]".

To accommodate every version checking method used by an application, several options are available. Unfortunately I also found that breakage became a significant possibility very quickly, so keep that in mind when using the version spoofers.

You can set these values to 1:

Win7SuperVerFix

Win8SuperVerFix

Win10SuperVerFix

FirefoxFix (a lighter version of Win7SuperVerFix)

You can also set these values:

MajorVersion

MinorVersion

BuildNumber

CSDVersion (the service pack string)

PlatformId (caution, as the standard value of 2 is used to indicate that the OS is Windows NT. 1 represents 9x and 0 represents Win32s)

For example, Firefox installers would need MinorVersion=1. You may have to briefly set it under [global] for installers that copy executables to a temp folder and do the version checks there.

Edited by win32

Using Win7SuperVerFix seems to break opera, although setting the os version manually seems to work fine for it.

EDIT: Seems like even the win8ver doesnt work but on the other hand w10 does.

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Here are some more details for usage of osver.ini.

You can set settings per-application as above (set Enabled=1 as well), or set them for the entire system by making an entry appended with "[global]".

To accommodate every version checking method used by an application, several options are available. Unfortunately I also found that breakage became a significant possibility very quickly, so keep that in mind when using the version spoofers.

You can set these values to 1:

Win7SuperVerFix

Win8SuperVerFix

Win10SuperVerFix

FirefoxFix (a lighter version of Win7SuperVerFix)

You can also set these values:

MajorVersion

MinorVersion

BuildNumber

CSDVer (the service pack string)

PlatformId (caution, as the standard value of 2 is used to indicate that the OS is Windows NT. 1 represents 9x and 0 represents Win32s)

For example, Firefox installers would need MinorVersion=1. You may have to briefly set it under [global] for installers that copy executables to a temp folder and do the version checks there.

I need to restart to make it work?

1 minute ago, win32 said:

The version spoofing takes effect when you save the file, so not at all.

If i wanna execute a Windows 7 supported application, what command i need to put in osver.ini?

Example: Google Chrome installer or Audacity

3 minutes ago, giogio3472 said:

If i wanna execute a Windows 7 supported application, what command i need to put in osver.ini?

Example: Google Chrome installer or Audacity

MinorVersion=1 and BuildNumber=7601 in many cases. You may also need FirefoxFix=1 or Win7SuperVerFix=1. That is in addition to Enabled=1 of course.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

MinorVersion=1 and BuildNumber=7601 in many cases. You may also need FirefoxFix=1 or Win7SuperVerFix=1. That is in addition to Enabled=1 of course.

I have a problem with Chrome 95, it says

The procedure entry point K32GetPerformanceInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL

f.JPG

4 hours ago, giogio3472 said:

I have a problem with Chrome 95, it says

The procedure entry point K32GetPerformanceInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL

f.JPG

Must be x86 Chrome. I implemented this function a long time ago on x64 and there is a Chromium 97 build somewhere working on Vista.

22 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

After installing the new release of extended kernel, I got this error when trying to run IDM:

Capture.PNG.24d480f5f4b79167c5ec1fe18bd4afa9.PNG

Did you rename kernel32.dll.bak to kernelol.dll ?

On 11/1/2021 at 1:52 AM, win32 said:

Changes in the latest Vista Extended Kernel release:

A new function has been added to user32 in x64. This should help with newer Adobe applications.

Two new functions have been added to ntdll. This will allow Windows 7 WordPad to run. That function was contributed by Ximonite.

Most of the K32* series of functions have been implemented to kernel32 x86.

The SetDefaultDllDirectories bug is now fixed for x86 applications. Run x86 VLC and you will see the difference.

GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx is also implemented on x86, without issue.

Version spoofing is now implemented.

Make a file in your Windows directory named osver.ini.

If you have Firefox/Thunderbird 91 or above installed, or Waterfox G4 installed, copy the path of the executable to the file and place it in brackets.

Write "Enabled=1" below.

Then write "FirefoxFix=1" below.

Then run Firefox/Thunderbird/Waterfox. Font rendering also differs slightly with this option set on older versions of those browsers.

unknown.png?width=905&height=624

I got the new October 2021 update up and running on my main Vista rig, and it works like a charm so far! No errors and Windows 7's Wordpad works like a charm! Also, for those who do not know/remember where Wordpad is stored, it is stored here: C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories. Also note it is also stored at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows NT\Accessories though you don't have to do anything with these files. If you open this wordpad, you get the classic wordpad, while opening the one in Program Files nets you the 7 wordpad as long as you have the files copied over.

Also, any progress on Win7+ drivers? Perhaps if we can lend a hand, we can narrow down the issues that currently prevent Win7+ drivers from working and get them one step closer to working.

I also believe a modified ACPI.SYS a la blackwingcat's Windows 2000 one might be needed for hardware if people get the "This BIOS is not ACPI compliant" 0x0A5 BSOD when attempting to install Vista on newer hardware. This obviously has to be slipstreamed into the install media, but not with vLite. Instead, you will have to extract the ISO with 7zip, search for the original ACPI.SYS and swap it with the new one (if it reads ACPI.SY_, drag the file to MakeCab in System32 and it will spit out a new ACPI.SY_ wherever the .SYS file was dragged from) and then if it is like 2000, there will be a DRIVERS.CAB that will have to be extracted, the new ACPI.SYS moved in with the rest of the files, the cab rebuilt with Administrator Command Prompt, and then put back into the appropriate folder in the installation media.

EDIT: I swapped out the wordpad files within the Program Files (x86) folder with the Windows 7 fwordpad files from that same folder, but I got an errod stating GetGestureInfo could not be found in the dynamic link library USER32.dll. This is not important for Windows 7's wordpad to function as the files for that is within the Program Files folder, and I have it working successfully.

Edited by Jakob99