[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

ok i decided to disable debug mode on Windows Server 2008. and now im back to having the bsod issue i encountered on a uefi capable laptop. all the bsod displays is a stop error code. well imma type it exactly as it is on my screen rn. yes that is literally how it displays. anyone know how to fix it. im kinda tired of using the temporary fix of using the debug mode boot option...

***Stop: 0x0000001E (0xffffffffC0000005,0xFFFFF80000C545AA,0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

On 10/27/2021 at 3:43 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

Fake news then.

Narrowed down to the dreaded defender . I deleted it from the ISO (before the install) , installed this update again , no errors since.

Fake ? Well , I'm not the ony one who had reported the same . 

Reported on April 28th, 2019 at 06:47 :

Removing the Monthly Rollup relieves the problem. This machine is running Windows Defender.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/problems-reported-with-this-months-server-2008-monthly-rollup-kb-4493471/

On 10/28/2021 at 1:33 AM, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

ok i decided to disable debug mode on Windows Server 2008. and now im back to having the bsod issue i encountered on a uefi capable laptop. all the bsod displays is a stop error code. well imma type it exactly as it is on my screen rn. yes that is literally how it displays. anyone know how to fix it. im kinda tired of using the temporary fix of using the debug mode boot option...

***Stop: 0x0000001E (0xffffffffC0000005,0xFFFFF80000C545AA,0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

Do you have this update , also ? KB4493471  .

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Narrowed down to the dreaded defender . I deleted it from the ISO (before the install) , installed this update again , no errors since.

Fake ? Well , I'm not the ony one who had reported the same . 

Reported on April 28th, 2019 at 06:47 :

Removing the Monthly Rollup relieves the problem. This machine is running Windows Defender.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/problems-reported-with-this-months-server-2008-monthly-rollup-kb-4493471/

For someone who dislikes OT posts, you certainly post a lot of them. I was familiar with those anonymous posts at AskWoody, and linked directly to them in my April 30, 2019 post in the relevant MSFN thread (whereas you have quoted Woody’s interpretation without using quotation marks). Whereas you claimed “I’m getting BSOD right now” October 20, the anonymous poster running Server 2008 x86 without Avast reported some UAC-related issues. In addition to Windows Defender, that system had “an old spybot search and destroy.” (SpyBot ended support for Vista in 2015.) Some Vista diehards actually upgraded to build 6003 specifically because Defender definitions have required SHA-2 for the last 2 years, and none of them reported a BSOD.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

For someone who dislikes OT posts, you certainly post a lot of them. I was familiar with those anonymous posts at AskWoody, and linked directly to them in my April 30, 2019 post in the relevant MSFN thread (whereas you have quoted Woody’s interpretation without using quotation marks). Whereas you claimed “I’m getting BSOD right now” October 20, the anonymous poster running Server 2008 x86 without Avast reported some UAC-related issues. In addition to Windows Defender, that system had “an old spybot search and destroy.” (SpyBot ended support for Vista in 2015.) Some Vista diehards actually upgraded to build 6003 specifically because Defender definitions have required SHA-2 for the last 2 years, and none of them reported a BSOD.

It is on-topic , actually ! Since this update allows the extended kernel to be installed . I mean the new version of this kernel from this topic . Before you put another label , I suggest to try it yourself . I still don't know if I'm ready to use every day , though . It made my PC a bit slower , perhaps it's just placebo , I have to test further.

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

It is on-topic , actually ! Since this update allows the extended kernel to be installed ...

The extended kernel does not require KB4493471 that you say caused a BSOD that once affected many Avast/AVG users, however it does require KB4474419.

Changes in the latest Vista Extended Kernel release:

A new function has been added to user32 in x64. This should help with newer Adobe applications.

Two new functions have been added to ntdll. This will allow Windows 7 WordPad to run. That function was contributed by Ximonite.

Most of the K32* series of functions have been implemented to kernel32 x86.

The SetDefaultDllDirectories bug is now fixed for x86 applications. Run x86 VLC and you will see the difference.

GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx is also implemented on x86, without issue.

Version spoofing is now implemented.

Make a file in your Windows directory named osver.ini.

If you have Firefox/Thunderbird 91 or above installed, or Waterfox G4 installed, copy the path of the executable to the file and place it in brackets.

Write "Enabled=1" below.

Then write "FirefoxFix=1" below.

Then run Firefox/Thunderbird/Waterfox. Font rendering also differs slightly with this option set on older versions of those browsers.

unknown.png?width=905&height=624

22 minutes ago, win32 said:

Changes in the latest Vista Extended Kernel release:

A new function has been added to user32 in x64. This should help with newer Adobe applications.

Two new functions have been added to ntdll. This will allow Windows 7 WordPad to run. That function was contributed by Ximonite.

Most of the K32* series of functions have been implemented to kernel32 x86.

The SetDefaultDllDirectories bug is now fixed for x86 applications. Run x86 VLC and you will see the difference.

GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx is also implemented on x86, without issue.

Version spoofing is now implemented.

Make a file in your Windows directory named osver.ini.

If you have Firefox/Thunderbird 91 or above installed, or Waterfox G4 installed, copy the path of the executable to the file and place it in brackets.

Write "Enabled=1" below.

Then write "FirefoxFix=1" below.

Then run Firefox/Thunderbird/Waterfox. Font rendering also differs slightly with this option set on older versions of those browsers.

unknown.png?width=905&height=624

Steam crashes, did you manage to get it running with the new ui?

7 minutes ago, win32 said:

Not yet. I may have to implement a lot more stuff on x86 first.

Doesn't seem far off from working, it does open steam mostly and then crashes after 10seconds or so.Does the spoofing method on top apply to all applications i wonder, for example i write Enabled=1 and Steamfix=1?

Edited by burd

22 minutes ago, burd said:

Doesn't seem far off from working, it does open steam mostly and then crashes after 10seconds or so.Does the spoofing method on top apply to all applications i wonder, for example i write Enabled=1 and Steamfix=1?

Actually, there is no "SteamFix" defined. But for Steam you could attempt "SuperWin7VerFix=1". There is also a SuperWin8VerFix and a SuperWin10VerFix.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

Actually, there is no "SteamFix" defined. But for Steam you could attempt "SuperWin7VerFix=1". There is also a SuperWin8VerFix and a SuperWin10VerFix.

Odd, the spoofing doesn't seem to work for me at all on any program i tried. Opera still shows Windows Vista and NT6.0 and kept throwing up popups about how it can only run on Windows 7 and above. With Application Verifier it would show up as NT6.1 and aero was working. Also i kept getting kernelol.dll is missing error so i manually placed it in syswow64. Idk if its my install or the kernelex installer is broken.

Edited by burd

after trying to install the new version  I got this in cmd https://ibb.co/6wjWGj8

the system boots without any error but msi afterburner will crash (even the latest version), steam isn't working* (latest ver) "Steam is no longer supported on your operating system version" and kaspersky 18.0.0.405 crashed 1 time but then after reopened it worked (needs more testing tho)

I tried the osver.ini trick but still nothing (I haven't tried it on the latest version of firefox tho but that's because I don't like the new UI)

What are the exact updates needed to run this? (Besides apr 2017 and the others that were needed for the last version)

*steam from 6 nov 2020 still works but csgo still fails calling the loader

Edited by winvispixp