[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

13 hours ago, Dixel said:

1 - I declare this to be fake news / vapourware under section 4.e of the forum rules https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/.

@Vistapocalypse is absolutely right , there's no confirmation or any info from Microsoft at all . There's zero proof .

In the article you mentioned , it says "Summary

Customers who have applied KB4489887 or later Monthly Rollup Packages to Microsoft Server 2008 SP2 may notice a change to the operating system version string."

Well , I read about it too :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/build-number-changing-to-6003-in-windows-server-2008-1335e4d4-c155-52eb-4a45-b85bd1909ca8

"Addresses an issue with a Microsoft Access 97 (!) database ..." and some Asian language/time fixes for Japanese and Quazaqians , etc . More here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/march-19-2019-kb4489887-preview-of-monthly-rollup-d05eafca-6fd3-1106-6f42-fba0a558ac27

I tested myself and [of course] it doesn't do what you claim it supposed to do. Besides , you post in the wrong section , even if they allow this to exist ,

it belongs to the update section , not the ex-kernel .

I'd like to ask the supervisors , moderators @Tripredacus , @Dave-H to intervene and delete his and other posts regarding this no-existent "fix" (vapourware).

Your skepticism is perhaps not unwarranted. I couldn’t help noticing that the BetaWiki link currently says “Last edited 5 days ago,” which was the same day the “news” appeared in this thread. Where did BetaWiki learn about this “new version of the HAL driver which fixes the corruption bug that affects Intel CPUs based on the Haswell and later microarchitectures”? Obviously not from the Microsoft link provided under References, which does not mention HAL at all.

You also have a valid point that this discussion is rather OT here in the extended kernel thread. It might have been better to resurrect Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista. (My link leads to the point where contemporaneous discussion of build 6003 began, but you wouldn’t find anything about Haswell+ issues there. Personally, I was rather concerned about 6003’s potential to break software that worked on 6002, and there were a few such instances.) Or perhaps Compatible hardware with Windows Vista, which AFAIK was where Haswell+ issues were first documented. On the other hand, I would very much like to hear what @win32 has to say about this HAL discussion.

Your forum style is perhaps overly aggressive. I wouldn’t be surprised if TSNH feels offended, because I was once offended by one of your attacks. Let’s seek the facts without any flame wars.

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your skepticism is perhaps not unwarranted. I couldn’t help noticing that the BetaWiki link currently says “Last edited 5 days ago,” which was the same day the “news” appeared in this thread. Where did BetaWiki learn about this “new version of the HAL driver which fixes the corruption bug that affects Intel CPUs based on the Haswell and later microarchitectures”? Obviously not from the Microsoft link provided under References, which does not mention HAL at all.

You also have a valid point that this discussion is rather OT here in the extended kernel thread. It might have been better to resurrect Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista. (My link leads to the point where contemporaneous discussion of build 6003 began, but you wouldn’t find anything about Haswell+ issues there. Personally, I was rather concerned about 6003’s potential to break software that worked on 6002, and there were a few such instances.) Or perhaps Compatible hardware with Windows Vista, which AFAIK was where Haswell+ issues were first documented. On the other hand, I would very much like to hear what @win32 has to say about this HAL discussion.

Your forum style is perhaps overly aggressive. I wouldn’t be surprised if TSNH feels offended, because I was once offended by one of your attacks. Let’s seek the facts without any flame wars.

This information was added on 31 August 2021 https://betawiki.net/index.php?title=Windows_Vista_build_6003&oldid=153735

I understand that it might look suspicious when someone's first post looks like mine :hello:.

In my opinion the extended kernel should target Windows Vista with 6003 and SHA-2 updates but without KB4341832, KB4090450 and KB4089229 - meltdown/spectre patches that slow down the CPU.

Also, I have an AMD Ryzen PC so if @win32 decides to make a patch for Ryzen problems I can test it and send some logs.

Edited by TSNH

I do not recommend UEFI multi-booting Windows Vista, 7, and 11. I tried so last night and while 7 and 11 loaded up just fine, Vista Blue screened with 0x01E. Keep in mind I was doing this on Ivy Bridge with a Windows 10 ISO that had 11's Install.wim. I suspect it might have something to do with 11's UEFI files. Regardless, I reinstalled the Vista and 7 dual-boot I had and am fine (this also allowed me to use a different extended kernel compatible/Vista ISO that actually had nothing broken or missing). So, let this be your warning to not multi-boot Vista and 11 with UEFI unless you know of a way to make it work without a 0x01E BSOD when booting into Vista. I should clarify that BIOS (MBR) multi-boot works just fine. I currently have a multi-boot of Vista, 7, 8.1, and 11 on an Acer Aspire A315-21 and nothing is wrong with it so far.

19 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

1 - It's good we are on the same page regarding fake posts and off-topic users ! 

2 - About the style . You know , we (Europeans) are quite frank people . If we see fake news , we call it fake news , not the other way around . Also , we don't use the infamous 

californian "highly-likely style" of writing . So no sentences like "somewhat fixed" , "partially working" , etc. Lemme give you some examples from the local papers:

"the antivirus software is highly likely developed by the KGB" , no we don't use it that way. We say "developed by KGB" , if we are not sure , then there's no such "news".

From this thread :

"Installing KB4493471 will fix it somewhat". No , we would say :

"Installing KB4493471 will not fix it". It's either working or not . Otherwise, it's a piece of vapourware, esp. considering zero proof.

Could you help me to obtain a more (soft?) style , maybe ? Do I have to start my posts with smth like this ?

"Girls , guys , everyone in-between , others who are to decide who they are , we are having a nasty weather today , if no one's offended by this fact , please let me know and I shall continue ..."

Would it be OK ? Or maybe I need to start with guys so they won't be offended ? What about the rest then ?

Please let me know . Have a nice day/morning/evening/afternoon/supper/dinner/breakfast/lunch, etc .

23 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

4e is in relation to a user who is posting about a project they have created or is involved in, that is vaporware, or that the person is making promises about accomplishing something in the future but doesn't live up to the promises. So it is not relevant here, since the entity that made this so-called Vaporware is Microsoft and not the person who posted a link to it. Since Microsoft doesn't have an account, they can't get banned for posting about vaporware or have their posts deleted. :ph34r:

Oh , so no protection against fake news ? Hmmkay , thanks for letting me know . I shall not report fake news in the future , sorry I disturbed you.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

1 - It's good we are on the same page regarding fake posts and off-topic users ! 

2 - About the style . You know , we (Europeans) are quite frank people . If we see fake news , we call it fake news , not the other way around . Also , we don't use the infamous 

californian "highly-likely style" of writing . So no sentences like "somewhat fixed" , "partially working" , etc. Lemme give you some examples from the local papers:

"the antivirus software is highly likely developed by the KGB" , no we don't use it that way. We say "developed by KGB" , if we are not sure , then there's no such "news".

From this thread :

"Installing KB4493471 will not fix it". It's either working or not . Otherwise, it's a piece of vapourware, esp. considering zero proof.

A phone's battery was charged to 50% of its capacity. Would you call it empty or full :dubbio:?

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Could you help me to obtain a more (soft?) style , maybe ? Do I have to start my posts with smth like this ?

It's fine. Maybe let's leave this topic as it is and concentrate on more important things.

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

"Installing KB4493471 will not fix it". It's either working or not.

I am inclined to agree with that. Reports of limited improvement could be an example of the placebo effect.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I am inclined to agree with that. Reports of limited improvement could be an example of the placebo effect.

Good point, I'll edit the main post.

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I tried that update , I'm getting BSOD right now , started to search for this exact error and found this .

Besides , KB4493471 was superseded by KB4499149  (released May 14 , 2019) !

"Facing Wind23k.sys BSOD on Windows 2008 SP2 on normal boot. Uninstalling KB4493471 from Windows Safe Mode solved the BSOD"

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/problems-reported-with-this-months-server-2008-monthly-rollup-kb-4493471/

And no , I don't have Avast installed. Someone please tell what is windows6.0-kb4489887-x64 and I don't fully understand what they have to do with extended kernel , I have none. Thank you.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:32 AM, Dixel said:

Oh , so no protection against fake news ? Hmmkay , thanks for letting me know . I shall not report fake news in the future , sorry I disturbed you.

It is fine to point out that something doesn't work as advertised, but removing the content (as well as the reply about how reliable the information is) wouldn't do anyone any good. As then it could just be posted by someone else again. Leaving it the way it is now leaves it "on the record" in case anyone else happens to find it. Especially anyone who finds the post from a search engine. We are in the minority by posting on this site. Many more people use MSFN for info and never register or even post. I know many people in the local IT community who use this site but do not have accounts. :)

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Someone please tell what is windows6.0-kb4489887-x64 and I don't fully understand what they have to do with extended kernel , I have none. 

KB4489887 was a March 2019 Preview in which build 6003 was first introduced. For those actually running Server 2008 SP2, such Previews were Optional updates. I don’t think any MSFN member running Vista installed it at the time, since the build number change was not noted here until April 2019.

About your BSOD: AFAIK those Win32k.sys BSODs were all attributable to applications that depended on version string “6002.” Even if you don’t use Avast/AVG, antivirus would still be my first guess. One MSFN member traced his BSOD to VMWare (see my link and read a few pages). If you can identify another program that was broken by 6003, I would be as interested as anyone. Since this seems to be the only Vista thread that new members want to read, I’ll mention that Avast solved their issue with a microupdate in June 2019. To install Avast 18.8 on 6003, I would try an online installer because the offline installer is older than the microupdate.

As there has been no step by step Extended kernel installation guide posted on MSFN, I decided to crate one:

Feel free to post any suggestions you have.

If you spot a grammar error please let me know :) (English is not my native language)

On 10/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

KB4489887 was a March 2019 Preview in which build 6003 was first introduced. For those actually running Server 2008 SP2, such Previews were Optional updates. I don’t think any MSFN member running Vista installed it at the time, since the build number change was not noted here until April 2019.

About your BSOD: AFAIK those Win32k.sys BSODs were all attributable to applications that depended on version string “6002.” Even if you don’t use Avast/AVG, antivirus would still be my first guess. One MSFN member traced his BSOD to VMWare (see my link and read a few pages). If you can identify another program that was broken by 6003, I would be as interested as anyone. Since this seems to be the only Vista thread that new members want to read, I’ll mention that Avast solved their issue with a microupdate in June 2019. To install Avast 18.8 on 6003, I would try an online installer because the offline installer is older than the microupdate.

Nah , it was a clean windows Vista SP2 (no progs). Sorry for the late reply . Somehow , I was able to boot and deleted this junk from safe mode . Yet it left numerous traces , for example inside winsxs. Again , I don't have Avast , I think I  wrote it . Anyways , thanks for the explanations.