[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

7 hours ago, TylerTT said:

Yeah sorry I didn't see that. I've just installed it on my Haswell laptop and nothings blown up yet so hopefully it stays like that

https://imgur.com/hWcrUOd

Well I've had it running for about 11 or so hours rebooting every now and then and the only issue i seem to face is sometimes when i open something that requirea administrative privileges I'll get an error but the second time I try it'll work fine 

23 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

Well I've had it running for about 11 or so hours rebooting every now and then and the only issue i seem to face is sometimes when i open something that requirea administrative privileges I'll get an error but the second time I try it'll work fine 

That's what I get too.

Sorry for double post, but I used Driver Booster to install drivers, and it appeared to install Intel USB 3.0 drivers. I thought Intel didn't support USB 3.0 with Vista, even on Ivy Bridge. This is on Dell Inspiron 3847 with Haswell.

Capture.JPG

10 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Sorry for double post, but I used Driver Booster to install drivers, and it appeared to install Intel USB 3.0 drivers. I thought Intel didn't support USB 3.0 with Vista, even on Ivy Bridge. This is on Dell Inspiron 3847 with Haswell.

Capture.JPG

It didn't install them. It clearly says there that no drivers are installed for this device.

1 hour ago, Vista4Life said:

It didn't install them. It clearly says there that no drivers are installed for this device.

Then why does it list them as if they were installed? If they aren't installed, I'd expect them to show up under the Other Devices as USB storage devices or something similar with a yellow ! point rather than under the USB  devices with no !.

23 hours ago, TylerTT said:

Yeah sorry I didn't see that. I've just installed it on my Haswell laptop and nothings blown up yet so hopefully it stays like that

https://imgur.com/hWcrUOd

Installing KB4493471 will fix it somewhat, however, on occasion I still get a "Login initialization process has failed" message, but it isn't often. I would say that the bugs aren't fully fixed, but are greatly reduced.

21 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Just click Yes anyway. Sometimes it will work. If it doesn't, you will have to add in your hardware ID to the INF. Sometimes, a driver may include multiple ID's that share the same values as the one you have, but are actually just different enough.

I have just installed the driver on Windows Vista and it doesn't work. I haven't tried modifying the driver yet but it's signed for Vista and it shouldn't need that. Adding the GPU's hardware ID to the inf file didn't help either. :(

doesntwork.PNG.0ae4ff82878a4e16c391c2e4547bde86.PNG

Edited by TSNH

59 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Installing KB4493471 will fix it somewhat, however, on occasion I still get a "Login initialization process has failed" message, but it isn't often. I would say that the bugs aren't fully fixed, but are greatly reduced.

Yeah I agree 100%. Personally I feel like this makes vista on Haswell+ a much viable option 

55 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Microsoft’s article on KB4493471 (April 2019) and associated links don’t appear to mention Hardware Abstraction Layer at all. Since it was a monthly rollup, any subsequent monthly rollup would presumably include the undocumented changes and perhaps even undocumented bug fixes related to those changes (but the Security Only updates might not include anything of the sort). If one were to install e.g. KB4499149 from May 2019, they should be able to duplicate your results and would also be patched against the once-infamous BlueKeep vulnerability. It might be worth noting that the SHA-2 update  KB4474419 was not a monthly rollup, although installing it would change the build number to 6003.

4 hours ago, winvispixp said:

How's the [Haswell+] situation when all server 2008 updates are installed?

I think @burd has them all (see his yesterday post), but not sure if he is currently on Haswell+ hardware and wish he could remember which Patch Tuesday he was referring to. I can’t test myself, but this is interesting.

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Microsoft’s article on KB4493471 (April 2019) and associated links don’t appear to mention Hardware Abstraction Layer at all.

WHTl034.jpg

That fetches a .CSV file, inside which: 

ia64 Windows Server 2008,,,,,,,
File name,File version,File size,Date,Time,Platform,SP requirement,Service branch
Hal.dll,6.0.6003.20489,"428,264",21-Mar-19,1:32,IA-64,None,Not applicable

File name,Ia64_hal.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6003.20489_none_0726f69c1b902d52.manifest,,,,,,
File version,Not applicable,,,,,,
File size,"1,655",,,,,,
Date (UTC),21-Mar-19,,,,,,
Time (UTC),3:40,,,,,,
Platform,Not applicable,,,,,,

x86 Windows Vista,,,,,,,
File name,File version,File size,Date,Time,Platform,SP requirement,Service branch
Halacpi.dll,6.0.6003.20489,"137,960",21-Mar-19,1:53,x86,None,Not applicable
Halmacpi.dll,6.0.6003.20489,"169,704",21-Mar-19,1:53,x86,None,Not applicable

File name,X86_hal.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6003.20489_none_072552a61b922456.manifest,,,,,,
File size,"2,244",,,,,,
Time (UTC),3:57,,,,,,

x64 Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008,,,,,,,
Hal.dll,6.0.6003.20489,"230,632",21-Mar-19,1:41,x64,None,Not applicable

File name,Amd64_hal.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6003.20489_none_6343ee29d3ef958c.manifest,,,,,,
File size,"1,656",,,,,,
Time (UTC),4:15,,,,,,

So, though not specifically mentioned, the KB does update HAL related files to v6.0.6003.20489 :whistle:

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I think @burd has them all (see his yesterday post), but not sure if he is currently on Haswell+ hardware and wish he could remember which Patch Tuesday he was referring to. I can’t test myself, but this is interesting.

I would like to clarify that i do have all the updates with Intel Skylake 6700HQ, although remembering which update is beyond me at this point

Good day,

Is there any instructions on how to use the kernel from Mega? 

I followed a youtube video but instead of copying just the dll files to system32 from kernel files, I copied everything.

Now I am getting the below error when booting vista and think I might need to reinstall. Can someone please assist?

Youtube link: 

image.thumb.png.1654be33d82373dd6697aab4a76932b3.png

Edited by Strikker1
added link

2 hours ago, Strikker1 said:

Good day,

Is there any instructions on how to use the kernel from Mega? 

I followed a youtube video but instead of copying just the dll files to system32 from kernel files, I copied everything.

Now I am getting the below error when booting vista and think I might need to reinstall. Can someone please assist?

Youtube link: 

image.thumb.png.1654be33d82373dd6697aab4a76932b3.png

boot vista install from usb, click on "Repair your computer"

click on Command Prompt and exectute the following command :

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

Edited by LS4280