[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I tried playing Celeste on the Vista extended kernel (Celeste supports Win7 minimum) and the error I got was exactly this:

"The procedure entry point BCryptDeriveKeyPBKDF2 could not be located in dynamic link library bcrypt.dll"

Any alternatives to this entry point?

On 10/4/2021 at 9:07 PM, Jakob99 said:

and hopefully a fix for the Haswell+ issues.

Hi everyone,

According to: https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_Vista_build_6003, Microsoft has already solved Haswell+ problems in the 6003 update.

EDIT:

So far 2 people reported, that that this update reduces the occurrence frequency of Haswell+ bugs, but i doesn't solve them completely.

More data is needed to make sure it's not just placebo effect.

EDIT1:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180750-would-an-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-work-on-windows-vista/page/5/

EDIT2:

Dixel tested this on multiple Haswell motherboards and reported that this information is fake.

The discussion has been moved into a new topic

Edited by TSNH

8 hours ago, TSNH said:

Hi everyone,

According to: https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_Vista_build_6003, Microsoft has already solved Haswell+ problems in the 6003 update.

I can confirm that these issues are fixed with that update. Installation went smoothly after I reseated the USB (I accidentally cleaned that instead of the GPT HDD in diskpart and had to recreate, but kept getting an error) due to the "Required DVD/CD driver is missing" error even though I was plugged into the USB 2.0 ports. There is an ISO that has this update integrated, but I can't link to it directly. I will tell you that you can find it over at board.eclipse.cx within the Vista forum there (If linking to that site is not allowed, please let me know). This ISO is recommended rather than using one that doesn't have the update and encountering those errors. This ISO should also make it easier to install Vista under UEFI mode, of which I wrote a tutorial here and at Eclipse as well.

Edited by Jakob99

On 10/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, Jakob99 said:

Does anyone know if Rufus (the USB creator) will be usable under Vista soon?

You can try my Vista compatible rebuild. Though some specific functionality may still be missing. Patches required to get the latest version 3.16 to compile with MinGW32 included. I have a repo with old Rufus code on GitHub, wanted to publish it there, but they changed something about the login procedure. Maybe I'll figure it out some other time.

rufus-3.16.zip

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

You can try my Vista compatible rebuild. Though some specific functionality may still be missing. Patches required to get the latest version 3.16 to compile with MinGW32 included. I have a repo with old Rufus code on GitHub, wanted to publish it there, but they changed something about the login procedure. Maybe I'll figure it out some other time.

rufus-3.16.zip

That worked, thanks! No more having to log into 7 just to use that.

Also, Haswell does not seem to be fully fixed, even with the 6003 update. I didn't get most of the errors people reported, but sometimes when doing things that require administrative permissions (UAC), it may pop up an error message, but be just fine second try. I also just rebooted. It showed the start orb and the welcome screen, but now is stuck on a black screen with the mouse. I'd take Haswell+ use with a grain of salt still. I should note that it is not the ISO as it worked just fine on my AMD Radeon R4 with no issues of the Haswell+ variety with that processor.

EDIT: I think user error on my end is causing the issues. I don't believe I actually have the update that fixes the issue installed. I will install said update tomorrow and will report back on what happens.

Edited by Jakob99

45 minutes ago, TSNH said:

This is just what i've said but I don't have Haswell+ hardware so i can't test it myself.

Yeah sorry I didn't see that. I've just installed it on my Haswell laptop and nothings blown up yet so hopefully it stays like that

https://imgur.com/hWcrUOd

Edited by TylerTT
added image

@Dixel

Hi, I tried installing the 373.19 driver for Vista/7/8 on my Windows 7 PC for now and it looks like the 'Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050TI' driver is not compatible with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050TI GPU.

The popup says that 'It's not recommended to install this diver, because Windows cannot determinate if it's compatible with the owned hardware. If its not compatible, than...' (translated).

This most likely means that the hardware IDs are not consistent.obraz.png.96f329b0690b990284a448d29f1863d5.png

3 hours ago, TSNH said:

@Dixel

Hi, I tried installing the 373.19 driver for Vista/7/8 on my Windows 7 PC for now and it looks like the 'Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050TI' driver is not compatible with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050TI GPU.

The popup says that 'It's not recommended to install this diver, because Windows cannot determinate if it's compatible with the owned hardware. If its not compatible, than...' (translated).

This most likely means that the hardware IDs are not consistent.obraz.png.96f329b0690b990284a448d29f1863d5.png

Just click Yes anyway. Sometimes it will work. If it doesn't, you will have to add in your hardware ID to the INF. Sometimes, a driver may include multiple ID's that share the same values as the one you have, but are actually just different enough.

Also, I got the KB4493471 update installed on my Haswell machine (Did it after the Extended Kernel was installed, but luckily no errors and I just had to simply reinstall it), and a lot of the errors disappeared, however, on occasion, I get some error messages when running programs that require the UAC to pop up. Closing the error message and restarting the program that requires UAC will run fine on the second run (although a second error message may appear after the first. If it does, just simply close it and restart the program and it will proceed normally).

Also, I tried to install the Windows XP x64 graphics driver for Haswell by adding in my processor and copy and pasting the data into the blank Vista section, but I get a page fault in non-paged area BSOD. Anyone have any solutions?