[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

3 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

all i did was modify a commandline tool that exists for Volume License versions of Office 2019 so i could install Retail Microsoft Office 2019 Home and Student. and yes there is a version check. but its the same one Office 2016 uses. so in theory office 2019 can be installed on Windows 7 Without NT Version Spoofing. i just havent had luck with it. when i tried on server 2008 Office 2019's installer said it needed Windows 7 or newer(despite Microsoft's official OS requirements saying Windows 10) meaning POSSIBLY it can be installed and run on Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 with the next Extended Kernel Release(i think. win32 did say in a previous post that NT Version Spoofing will be in the next extended kernel release iirc)

I sure hope so! Also, I am here to say that I am returning to Windows Vista complete with a dual-boot of Windows 7. The reason I left it was because it could not read the full 4TB SSD. This problem is no more thanks to this tutorial: https://vinaypundith.github.io/windows_7_efi_guide/ Thanks to K4Sum1 over at Eclipse for digging this out. This should allow Windows Vista UEFI on newer UEFI devices like Sandy/Ivy Bridge, Haswell, etc (basically those processors that have Windows 8 and later support). You get safe mode and anything else that requires basic display as that is not removed and is left intact. This will also allow for Vista installation on Class3 UEFI devices such as the Acer Spin 5 where Legacy mode is unavailable. It also allows for 4TB or greater HDD/SSD's as well. All that is left to marry this setup together is Windows 7+ driver support and hopefully a fix for the Haswell+ issues.

Regarding driver support, win32 told me at betawiki discord that he encountered some issues with getting it working and decided to put that on the back burner for now. Not sure what all is needed to get that working properly, but would be nice if someone with unsupported hardware could help out and see if they can help win32 get it working. @win32Not sure if you know about being able to use UEFI7 under Vista. I did so and it worked just fine.

Alright, I got Windows Vista and Windows 7 dual-booted under UEFI mode thanks to UEFI7. Like I mentioned above, UEFI7 will allow for Windows Vista to run on newer UEFI modes (anything that supports Windows 8 or later such as Ivy/Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, etc). This will also work with Class 3 UEFI mode, which is seen on some computers such as the Acer SPIN 5. Due to the lack of Legacy mode, UEFI is required. I do not recommend Windows Vista on newer systems until Windows 7+ driver support is worked out, which will be awhile. Once again, here is the link to learn how to do this: https://vinaypundith.github.io/windows_7_efi_guide/

Windows Vista.jpg

Edited by Jakob99

On 10/4/2021 at 5:07 PM, SigmaTel71 said:

There is no need to use QuickTime since 2013.

Maybe not QuickTime specifically, but my experience with Office 2019/365 suggests it's still not as seamless as it should be.

Converting to the WMV format works the best in any version of Office, 2010 or newer.

@win32

I want to hear your opinion on that topic win32. Since you were the one, who created this magnificent kernel, I wanted you to ask what's next? Will we ever see Office 2013 working on Vista? Maybe you could rank the following programs on how hard it would be, to add their specific dll's to the Extended Kernel

Programs (I would really want to see on Vista in the future):

-> Microsoft Office 2013 (also OneNote for Desktop 2016)

-> Spotify

-> Newer iTunes version

-> Dropbox

-> Microsoft Edge

-> Skype

Thanks

5 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

@win32

I want to hear your opinion on that topic win32. Since you were the one, who created this magnificent kernel, I wanted you to ask what's next? Will we ever see Office 2013 working on Vista? Maybe you could rank the following programs on how hard it would be, to add their specific dll's to the Extended Kernel

Programs (I would really want to see on Vista in the future):

-> Microsoft Office 2013 (also OneNote for Desktop 2016)

-> Spotify

-> Newer iTunes version

-> Dropbox

-> Microsoft Edge

-> Skype

Thanks

About that, the experimental extended kernel version was able to install Office 2019 and almost run it. I've yet to try Office 2013 or 16, as the current version spoofer works for 2019 but not 2013/16 for a few possible reasons.

unknown.png

Most of the others are a little iffy, if only because they are first-party software, and it tends to be harder to get newer versions running of those than third-party ones (which is also true of Windows 2000; struggles with parts of Office 2007 while it can run every version of LibreOffice and OpenOffice that XP can).

I think a couple of those are x86 native electron apps while iTunes is win7-compatible with a Windows 10-tailored version block (I do have a likely solution for it). So the former will be available when x86 matures (the kernel32 functions are plentiful for those now, but I haven't started on the other dlls) while the latter will be attempted very soon.

Edited by win32

6 hours ago, Vistafand said:

using 05142021 version gives me error 0xc0000428

iirc you need to use "bcdedit /set {current} disableintegritychecks on" when in vista before copying the extended kernel files from WinPE

16 hours ago, win32 said:

About that, the experimental extended kernel version was able to install Office 2019 and almost run it. I've yet to try Office 2013 or 16, as the current version spoofer works for 2019 but not 2013/16 for a few possible reasons.

unknown.png

Most of the others are a little iffy, if only because they are first-party software, and it tends to be harder to get newer versions running of those than third-party ones (which is also true of Windows 2000; struggles with parts of Office 2007 while it can run every version of LibreOffice and OpenOffice that XP can).

I think a couple of those are x86 native electron apps while iTunes is win7-compatible with a Windows 10-tailored version block (I do have a likely solution for it). So the former will be available when x86 matures (the kernel32 functions are plentiful for those now, but I haven't started on the other dlls) while the latter will be attempted very soon.

Thank you very much, you are the best developer! Why hasnt Microsoft offered you a job yet? haha

19 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Thank you very much, you are the best developer! Why hasnt Microsoft offered you a job yet? haha

Why would Microsoft want to hire someone to keep on adding functionality to a 15 year old OS that they can no longer make money off of? ;)

I expect to see soon the new version of the extended Kernel with the spoofer! I-m also waiting to see newer X86 functions because I want to run some Win7] 32 bits apps! About Office 2019, it is really possible to run it on Windows 7_

10 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

I expect to see soon the new version of the extended Kernel with the spoofer! I-m also waiting to see newer X86 functions because I want to run some Win7] 32 bits apps! About Office 2019, it is really possible to run it on Windows 7_

same. i need it asap because im having to put off MSRMAME since i cant use Office 2019 on Windows Server 2008 yet. as for it being on windows 7. you can install it. but there are dependencies that are missing and it refuses to start(yes i tried to install Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019). i wouldnt mind having an unfinished copy of the extended kernel's latest release as long as i can test the windows kernel version spoofing capabilities. (also i hope the latest version of steam will be fully usable on Vista and server 2008. (the latest version installs and runs on Server 2008. but you have to use small mode...)

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

i also tried to install 2019 on Server 2008 using the same method that worked on 8.1 and appearently there are 2 Version blocks. one that is on both 2016 and 2019(Vista Block) and one on 2019 only(Windows 7, and 8.1 block using the original img installer)

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016
ignore this if it sounds too stupid lol