[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 9/13/2021 at 6:32 AM, Ark_mage2180 said:

Anyone tried to install Vista on Broadwell-based laptop?

I think it might be interesting, but I know that most drivers won't work, even with Extended Kernel as of today.

It will work, but there will be serious bugs with it. Many services will refuse to start plus there are a host of other problems. Nobody knows how to get these fixed however. These problems did plague Windows 7, but it was fixed with an update not long after Haswell came out.

Most drivers also will not work. You might get lucky and find some, but not everything. Many of these won't work until Win32 figures out how to get Windows7+ drivers working with the kernel. He said to me a while ago that it should be in the release that follows up the May release, whenever he drops that.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:18 PM, win32 said:

91 ESR is working with the hex patches I described earlier. 92 beta as well, but 93 developer also has issues for me. But remember that 93 developer is bleeding edge and instability should be anticipated. I would be concerned if the crashes stuck around to beta, however.

You mentioned a couple pages back that a new kernel version is coming out at the end of September. Will this feature Windows 7+ driver support? Also, is there any way to get Vista working under UEFI? Most newer laptops only include that, rendering Vista unusable on those devices, some older laptops from Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge have it, which may lead to people wanting to try it out on it (It will fail as Windows Vista's, and even Windows 7's UEFI support does not work with these hardware as they were designed more for Windows 8/8.1), and if you want to use more than 2TB of space on your hard drive/solid state drive. Both of these issues are why I had to use Windows 7 with my 4TB SSD (I got it working by installing 7, deleting the basic display driver entirely, and loading in Intel HD 4000 Graphics through Medicat Mini Windows 10. I don't have BSOD, SafeMode, or checkdisc, but oh well) instead of Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still keeping my hopes up for Office 2013 support for Windows Vista. I hope Win32 finds a way to make it run one day. Same goes for Spotify. I dont see any reason why it shouldnt be possible, when Windows 7 supports it. We already got Firefox and Chrome

7 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I'm still keeping my hopes up for Office 2013 support for Windows Vista. I hope Win32 finds a way to make it run one day. Same goes for Spotify. I dont see any reason why it shouldnt be possible, when Windows 7 supports it. We already got Firefox and Chrome

What does Office 2013 have that would make one want to use it though? IMHO, Office 2010 is the pinnacle of Office. It's what I run on my Windows 7.

will Microsoft Office 2019 be able to be installed and ran on Windows Vista with the latest release? if so it'd be ready enough for me to use vista as my main OS on my main rig(Vista business is my main OS on my thinkpad)

4 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

will Microsoft Office 2019 be able to be installed and ran on Windows Vista with the latest release? if so it'd be ready enough for me to use vista as my main OS on my main rig(Vista business is my main OS on my thinkpad)

That one only supports Windows 10 and later. Although someone did get it to work on 7 and 8.1, that method will probably not work, though I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Jakob99 said:

That one only supports Windows 10 and later. Although someone did get it to work on 7 and 8.1, that method will probably not work, though I could be wrong.

i already said i got it working on windows 8.1 lol

but i failed to get it working on windows 7

edit: i remembered i left that part out so. now u know

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016
lol forgot i rephrased my original message before posting

32 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

i already said i got it working on windows 8.1 lol

but i failed to get it working on windows 7

edit: i remembered i left that part out so. now u know

Ah. I'm not sure the science behind how exactly it is workable on Windows 7/8.1, but I am not sure if that method would work on Vista, even if we backport the files it needs to run. There is probably a version check, but I am unsure if that would interfere. Our best bet would have to be to port over files from Windows 10. However, there is an Office 2021 debuting. I am unsure if this would also support Windows 10 in addition to 11 or only the latter, but it may be possible to port that over. We shall see when they decide to launch that on the 5th as well.

14 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Ah. I'm not sure the science behind how exactly it is workable on Windows 7/8.1, but I am not sure if that method would work on Vista, even if we backport the files it needs to run. There is probably a version check, but I am unsure if that would interfere. Our best bet would have to be to port over files from Windows 10. However, there is an Office 2021 debuting. I am unsure if this would also support Windows 10 in addition to 11 or only the latter, but it may be possible to port that over. We shall see when they decide to launch that on the 5th as well.

all i did was modify a commandline tool that exists for Volume License versions of Office 2019 so i could install Retail Microsoft Office 2019 Home and Student. and yes there is a version check. but its the same one Office 2016 uses. so in theory office 2019 can be installed on Windows 7 Without NT Version Spoofing. i just havent had luck with it. when i tried on server 2008 Office 2019's installer said it needed Windows 7 or newer(despite Microsoft's official OS requirements saying Windows 10) meaning POSSIBLY it can be installed and run on Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 with the next Extended Kernel Release(i think. win32 did say in a previous post that NT Version Spoofing will be in the next extended kernel release iirc)

On 10/2/2021 at 2:53 PM, SigmaTel71 said:

QuickTime for viewing MP4 in PowerPoint? No way!

Doesn't PowerPoint still have this issue? I had that issue not too long ago and I converted the video to WMV to work around that, then it was fine.

Office 2010 is still eons ahead of the newer versions in most factors.