[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

22 hours ago, win32 said:

The culprit for Firefox 89+ font issue has been found: something in ntoskrnl that has yet to be identified (although it should be not be difficult, as it was a bug fixed between Windows 7 RC and RTM). A few other extended kernel users helped identify the source of the bug by running Firefox 89 on Windows 7 builds 7100 to 7600. 7100 to 7264 (the RC) have this issue as well, then RTM runs it fine.

Good to hear that.

Imagine if we had to work with Whistler or Longhorn builds?

That would be actually harder and require a lot of time, considering they are unstable, and can BSOD in some cases.

VMware Workstation 16 will take longer due to a lack of functions for the VMX driver, although later versions of 11 and 12 should run with the GetVersionEx spoofer.

Understandable. And yeah, good luck with that.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, Sergiaws said:

I have a question, will I be able to spoof a program with new Extended Kernel if I use the extended kernel with local redirection_

In most cases, yes, but there may be issues with temp-folder based installers that are spawned from another installer.

7 hours ago, winvispixp said:

when will the new version be out? i'm very excited to try it :thumbup

By the end of September. I have close to enough new features to justify a new release, but I think I can stuff some more in. And I also need to test. I have every K32 function implemented for both architectures, SetDefaultDllDirectories fixed on both archs, ResolveLocaleName (basic implementation) and soon some other things. I hope to get many basic x86 applications running.

2 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

But keep the support for Windows Vista without the 2019 rollup (Build 6002)!

The kernel32 wrapper itself is probably more compatible than it was at another point in the extended kernel's existence, as it doesn't rely on the original kernel32 having SetDefaultDllDirectories (which was added to Vista in 2013). But that will soon not be the case, as it will call functions from my NTDLL wrapper, and that will need a modified ntoskrnl to work.

Edited by win32

12 hours ago, win32 said:

The kernel32 wrapper itself is probably more compatible than it was at another point in the extended kernel's existence, as it doesn't rely on the original kernel32 having SetDefaultDllDirectories (which was added to Vista in 2013). But that will soon not be the case, as it will call functions from my NTDLL wrapper, and that will need a modified ntoskrnl to work.

The build 6002's ntoskrnl.exe and the build 6003's are completely different. But please don't forget the support for the build 6002's too.

Edited by Brickedandroid

5 minutes ago, Brickedandroid said:

The build 6002's ntoskrnl.exe and the build 6003's are completely different. But please don't forget the support for the build 6002's too.

ntoskrnl cannot be easily wrapped. Thus, I will only be able to provide one patched version of it.

And another note, NVIDIA drivers after 372 fail to initialize if version 6.0 is detected and send the NTSTATUS REQUEST_NOT_SUPPORTED. NVIDIA had no problem providing barely-documented Windows 2000 support until late 2010 yet they have shifted to blocking operating systems, even those that are technically capable of using the drivers (Windows 8.1 with RTX 3xxx, early Windows 10 builds and soon Vista).

Could you add the Intel AVX extension support for Windows Vista Extended Kernel? It is needed for some softwares like iZotope RX 8, PCSX2, GCC/G++ compilers (for C++ developers), etc., and my CPU (Intel Core i3-3217u) already have the AVX extension.

When I try to configure the PCSX2 Gsdx plugins at the First time configuration:

1209187271_WindowsVistaExtendedKernelBuild6003-2021-09-03-19-45-58.thumb.jpg.948abb24b6aed18ad2f08c152993ed35.jpg

When I try to configure the PCSX2 Gsdx plugins from the Plugin/BIOS selector:

404709407_WindowsVistaExtendedKernelBuild6003-2021-09-03-19-47-23.thumb.jpg.b17ecb05d040ec08c51329236929994c.jpg

And when I try to run iZotope RX 8 (it should show the iZotope Authorization dialog if unregistered):

1525601125_WindowsVistaExtendedKernelBuild6003-2021-09-03-19-49-10.thumb.jpg.27ac635b0c44dfba5d0ab24805f86879.jpg

Edited by Brickedandroid

On 9/3/2021 at 6:39 AM, win32 said:

NVIDIA drivers after 372 fail to initialize

I have a unique driver version 373.19 x64 and x86 too (released on 1st of January 2017) , it was available only for those who paid for extended support . Only for Fujitsu Siemens notebooks' owners (some models) . So , as you may guess , I'm the owner of this marvel ! This driver works on laptops and desktops too . I'm guessing it could help you , no ? I mean , you could compare the dlls , right ? It has outstanding FPS in Vista . This driver includes the telemetry , but partially removed . I would gladly give these drivers to all of the members here , but their EULA forbids me to do so , sorry folks !!! But we know win32 has a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop , so no problem giving it to him ! Why silent about it ? I dunno , perhaps bacause he just stopped writing to me ... all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

I have a unique driver version 373.19 x64 and x86 too (released on 1st of January 2017) , it was available only for those who paid for extended support . Only for Fujitsu Siemens notebooks' owners (some models) . So , as you may guess , I'm the owner of this marvel ! This driver works on laptops and desktops too . I'm guessing it could help you , no ? I mean , you could compare the dlls , right ? It has outstanding FPS in Vista . This driver includes the telemetry , but partially removed . I would gladly give these drivers to all of the members here , but their EULA forbids me to do so , sorry folks !!! But we know win32 has a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop , so no problem giving it to him ! Why silent about it ? I dunno , perhaps bacause he just stopped writing to me ... all of a sudden.

I later checked the drivers 372.90 and 375.63. The former does not contain the Vista block, although I don't have the NVIDIA hardware to drive anything past 342.00 (not here with me right now, anyway). I assume that 373.19 is a special case as it was intended for Vista, which would explain why it actually runs on Vista without needing memcpy_s in ntoskrnl? And has it been tested with Pascal cards, which are apparently worse off than Maxwell and earlier on Vista?

Edited by win32

@win32 , 373.19 is a very special case , indeed : 100% official Vista support . It still has the Vista block and it doesn't call for memcpy_s in ntoskrnl ! By the way, it is actually newer than 375 , I think . Why I think so ? Some file versions are similar and it has the telemetry . And as far as I remember,  the 375 (official nvidia driver) was the first to incude it ! Pascal , no , I do not have any Pascal , also I sold my Maxwell recently . But Dereck Draker (also a Fujitsu Siemens owner) says it works with GTX980 and it is very fast.  As for me , I tested it with the Fujitsu Siemens laptop (obviously),  the card is the first version of GT820M , also I can confirm it works on GTX Titan (the first titan) , GTX780 , GTX780ti [the first version]. My neighbour says it works with DX9/DX10 games with his 1070 , but I can't confirm . I mean , there is no reason for him to lie to me, but I just can't go inside his house and test myself. Yet again , I can give it to you , no prob. . But only to you , since you also own a Fujitsu Siemens.

EDIT Forgot to say , there were a bit older drivers (several actually) like 372.93 , 373.06 supplied to us , and they all work with Vista . And you know 372.70 was the last one.

Edited by Dixel
P.S>

@win32, wait a minute ... I'm stunned , it's a legit win10 driver ported to Vista !!! This driver exists out there in the wild ... but for Win10 only !!!

Just search for "nvidia driver 373.19"  yourself . So the Fujitsu Siemens staff ported a win10 driver !??! And look at the date added "November 2017". 

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/Acer-Aspire-TC-730-NVIDIA-Graphics-Driver-373-19-for-Windows-10-64-bit.shtml

Yet another link says : "Key Features:

- Latest 7th Gen. Intel Core i7 processor

- Latest GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance  !

And you may know that the first GTX 1050 driver is 375 , so this one is (at least on par with it or even newer) So we can assume the neighbour is right .

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/MSI-GL62M-7RD-NVIDIA-Graphics-Driver-373-19-for-Windows-10-64-bit.shtml

20 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Yet another link says : "Key Features:

- Latest 7th Gen. Intel Core i7 processor

- Latest GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 with desktop level performance  !

And you may know that the first GTX 1050 driver is 375 , so this one is (at least on par with it or even newer) So we can assume the neighbour is right .

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/MSI-GL62M-7RD-NVIDIA-Graphics-Driver-373-19-for-Windows-10-64-bit.shtml

i would like to send you a private message, but i can't.. did you disable something or just dont wanna be bothered ?:D