[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

9 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Dolphin 5.0 is said to have been the last version to support vanilla Vista x64, but let us know what happens if you try a higher version.

I have tried the latest beta version and it works like a charm with vcredist 2019 installed. Per Vistafand, you don't need the Extended Kernel for 2019. Fore some reason, I thought you did. Anywho, for the latest beta build of Dolphin, you will in fact need the Extended Kernel (unlike Vcredist 2019). Just install Vcredist 2019, download the latest beta build of Dolphin (Vcredist 2019 has a link on the Dolphin download page), extract it to your desktop or whatever, and then open it. It should open just fine. No modification of files needed. I'm only using Dolphin 2014 as that was compiled around the time Ivy Bridge was still on the market (and around the time the early Haswell's were heading out) and I experience less glitches in most Wii Games, although to beat World 6-1 and 6-2 in Super Paper Mario, I had to temporarily upgrade to the newest beta. In all, Haswell is the minimum I recommend for Dolphin as I have a 2015 desktop with that and I have no glitches using the latest beta and Windows 8.1, although if you have souped up Ivy Bridge laptop like I have and want to travel with Dolphin, you will be fine for the most part, although you may need to swap Dolphin versions as issues/glitches dictate (Google search the glitch/issue and check the search results for more info on this. The save data is compatible with most versions. For Wii, copy the title folder located inside Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii. For Gamecube, copy GC. Move these to Desktop and then delete the Dolphin Folder. Setup the different version of Dolphin, run a Wii game once til you get to the save data screen, close it down, and then copy the title folder in as well as the GC folder).

Edited by Jakob99

On 7/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jakob99 said:

Will Windows 7 driver support be coming in the next release? Ironically, I bought a used Dell Latitude E6530 (to replace a broken Windows Vista laptop from 2013) with the purpose of running this and Vista, only to find out, it is an insanely powerful beast (like powerful enough to emulate both Wii and Gamecube games with little to no lag/glitches under Dolphin) and that Windows 8.1 with SSD is better suited (Windows Vista does not do SSD's well I hear). I did run Dolphin under Vista, but I ran into a freezing problem with it when trying to do three player MKDD, so between my dad and my brother, was told to upgrade at least one Windows up. I then discovered the freezing was the result of corrupted MKDD save data due to the cheats I used. Anywho, hopefully this comes soon, although if you want to dual-boot Vista with 11, you are SOL until Vista gets modern Secure/UEFI boot.

I have the Dell Latitude E6230, E6430, Dell Precision M6700, and M4700. They are all the same CPU/GPU Generation as your E6530. All of those do not have driver support for vista but, there are workarounds.

Basically how you get it to work is firstly install the extended kernel because it's needed to extract the dell installer. then, download the Driver Cab (aka Driver Pack) from Dell for Windows 7 and XP 64-bit. If there isn't a XP 64-bit folder download the precision equivalent of the latitude cab. there is always precision xp 64-bit drivers intel 3rd gen and earlier. also, download the intel lan installer for seven because it's the only way to install it. then point device manager to the extracted cab of seven if it doesn't find it try pointing it to the xp one.

as for intel hd 4000 there is a version of the drivers that does work with it:

I hope it helps!

13 hours ago, nicksilverstein said:

I have the Dell Latitude E6230, E6430, Dell Precision M6700, and M4700. They are all the same CPU/GPU Generation as your E6530. All of those do not have driver support for vista but, there are workarounds.

Basically how you get it to work is firstly install the extended kernel because it's needed to extract the dell installer. then, download the Driver Cab (aka Driver Pack) from Dell for Windows 7 and XP 64-bit. If there isn't a XP 64-bit folder download the precision equivalent of the latitude cab. there is always precision xp 64-bit drivers intel 3rd gen and earlier. also, download the intel lan installer for seven because it's the only way to install it. then point device manager to the extracted cab of seven if it doesn't find it try pointing it to the xp one.

as for intel hd 4000 there is a version of the drivers that does work with it:

I hope it helps!

I got it working a few days ago! Most of the 7 drivers from the Dell website worked. A few, I just used driver booster to get.

I decided to see if Filmora worked on the windows vista extended kernel v5.5 Unfortunately I ran into this error as shown in to the picture. Is it possible to patch this dll as well?If so that would be great!

Camtasia also doesn't work either. even versions as old as 8.6.0 which work on vanilla vista just fine don't even start. You just get a "aero_working" cursor for about a split second and it doesn't load. it doesn't even appear in task manager.

error 1.PNG

3 hours ago, Vista6002 said:

Camtasia also doesn't work either. even versions as old as 8.6.0 which work on vanilla vista just fine don't even start.

If you have installed .NET Framework 4.8, downgrading to a .NET version that better supports Vista might get 8.6.0 working. If you used mfplatsetup for the benefit of Firefox, that might conceivably affect Camtasia as well. Current versions require Windows 10.

I've said it earlier but I will say it again for the new people

mfplat works without "installing it"

you just have to make a folder inside the folder where firefox.exe is and name it firefox.exe.local and throw in there all the .dll files that are in the mfplat archive

3 hours ago, mina354 said:

He's using Persian (Iran) Region and Language format, which causes the detail to display like that.

yes

Edited by mohsad