[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

19 hours ago, burd said:

The times change so no one knows, what stop supporting what. Sometime the change is undocumented for a long time. But who knows.

Unfortunately, you were wrong - it works in Windows 7.

unknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by SigmaTel71
In-game screenshot.

43 minutes ago, SigmaTel71 said:

Unfortunately, you were wrong - it works in Windows 7.

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.pngunknown.png

No surprise that the game works on Windows 7 because system requirements say that it should, but do not mention Vista. If that is the same NVIDIA driver version that you were using on Vista, then it is puzzling that the error you posted yesterday said “no appropriate graphics hardware acceleration is available.” If you find a solution, I’m sure you will let us know.

5 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

If that is the same NVIDIA driver version that you were using on Vista, then it is puzzling that the error you posted yesterday said “no appropriate graphics hardware acceleration is available.”

The driver version is absolutely the same. NVIDIA uses the same driver package both for Vista and 7, so I have no idea why the game throws such error.

5 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

If you find a solution, I’m sure you will let us know.

The problem is that I'm looking for the solution myself (and asking for help). Maybe it has something to DirectX initialization? Could they differ in Vista and 7 in case of DirectX 11? :whistle:

Edited by SigmaTel71

1 hour ago, SigmaTel71 said:

The problem is that I'm looking for the solution myself (and asking for help). Maybe it has something to DirectX initialization? Could they differ in Vista and 7 in case of DirectX 11? :whistle:

well it could be the same issue as with beamng.drive. It could be using dx 11.1 which is not supported under windows vista

I installed the May 2021 Extended Kernel and modded the Firefox 86.0.1.7739 exe files, but when I open firefox.exe, I get The procedure entry point K32EnumProcessModules could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. I know Extended Kernel May 2021 is working as Windows 7's Paint and Calculator work just fine. I am wanting to use Firefox 86 as Firefox 89+ has been known to have rendering issues in Vista. I will include an image of the error below. Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated!

Firefox.png

3 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

modded the Firefox 86.0.1.7739 exe files

modded what? you don't need to mod them anymore since the last version of ex. kernel i think

and is there any specific reason why you're using this version? the last version compatible is 88.0.1

Edited by winvispixp

6 hours ago, winvispixp said:

modded what? you don't need to mod them anymore since the last version of ex. kernel i think

and is there any specific reason why you're using this version? the last version compatible is 88.0.1

You have to or had to mod the exe files and change MajorOperatingSystemVersion, MinorOperatingSystemVersion, MajorSubsystemVersion, and MinorSubsystemVersion from 6.0 to 6.1. In the firefox exe, you also had to navigate to ntdll.dll and change RtlQueryPerformanceCounter to NtQueryInformationProcess. I'll try that version. I just went with 86 as it was the first one I thought of.

EDIT: I tried Firefox 88 from the Mozilla FTP and it works just fine after modding the exe's. Problem solved!

Edited by Jakob99

28 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Sorry for double post, but how do you get Steam working with Extended Kernel? Want to install Bloons TD 6 which is on Steam. Thanks in advanced for your help!

You need hxd editor to remove the unsupported os message, even so it wont load the store or library in large mode, only small mode will work. You will need to modify 6A 00 61 or something like that to 6A 00 60.

Trying to install Bloons TD 6 using the November 26th, 2018 Steam client and I get this error: An error occurred while installing Bloons TD 6 (content servers unreachable). Anyone have a fix for this error? Any help is greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, Novek said:

When i try to run Firefox 88.0.1 its says its not a valid Win32 appimage.png.c97f59c9fc52ef8da721c6ca3933e2bd.png

FireFox 81 works as a charm. Setup.exe didn't work, so you have to uninstall your existing FireFox, recreate the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files (x86), and then copy the files over. You can then create a shortcut to Firefox.exe by right clicking it and clicking create shortcut, at which point it will be put automatically on the desktop. You can also remove the .exe - shortcut stuff that gets added to the name so it is just Firefox.

To pull this off, do the following, which was obtained from this video by WinClient5270 and this thread by TatsuyaSou:

1. Go to the FireFox website and act like you're going to download it. Cancel the download prompt that pops up and scroll down. There should be a link called "Download FireFox for a different OS". Click it, leave all the options the same (Windows, x64, etc), and it should download FireFox 81.

1.5 (Optional). If you don't have 7zip, grab it now from the 7zip site and set it up. If you also don't have CFF Explorer, grab that now as well. A link to that is available in the YouTube Video I linked above.

2. Right click the Firefox installer, hover over 7zip, and then click Open Archive. Extract everything there to the desktop.

3. Open the folder you just extracted and in the search bar type in *.exe This will show only the exe's, and files that have .exe, but which otherwise end in a different extension (such as .config).

4. Right click each exe and click on open in CFF Explorer. Navigate to Optional Header and you should see two fields that have 0006 and a 0001 under MajorOperatingSystemVersion, MinorOperatingSystemVersion, MajorSubsystemVersion, and MinorSubsystemVersion. This refers to the version number. Leave the 6 intact, but change the 0001 to 0000. Do this to the other 0001 as well, and then save. If the exe has a 0004 and a 0000 in place of the 0006 0001, don't edit that. Check every exe except the ones that end in .exe.InsertFileExtensionHere. Those were included in the search as they include .exe even though that is not the files official extension.

5. Afterwards, open back up Firefox.exe, navigate to Import Table, then to ntdll.dll, and then change the entry RtlQueryPerformanceCounter to NtQueryInformationProcess. Save the file and test it out

6. Open Firefox and it should open up just fine.

7. If you wish, you can uninstall your current Firefox installation and move the files for the new one to the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files (x86) (you will have to recreate the folder since the other one got deleted), and then create a shortcut to the Firefox.exe, which will automatically get placed on the desktop. If you want it to look official, you can remove the .exe - Shortcut junk from the name so it reads simply Firefox instead of Firefox.exe - Shortcut.

8. Credit goes to WinClient5270 and TatsuyaSou for these methods. I am just posting it here so people don't have to hunt all over for this information. I should note that I have no idea if Firefox 81 has any major problems as I only went to Google, but I imagine videos would be a problem since people reported those in prior versions beyond the 60's I think.

Ensure you also have the May 2021 Extended Kernel update.

5 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Trying to install Bloons TD 6 using the November 26th, 2018 Steam client and I get this error: An error occurred while installing Bloons TD 6 (content servers unreachable). Anyone have a fix for this error? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bloons TD 6 is suddenly working. Popped up a message about needing .NET framework 4.8, clicked ok, and it loaded up just fine.