[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

In any case, if @winvispixp is to try AdoptOpenJDK on his Vista SP2 64-bit machine, some tinkering of the installer might be needed... 

Tried the x64 JRE 16.0.1 version (on vista x64 ofc) and I get the same error as you do

When is the next ex. kernel update? 

I simply can't understand what is going on with the current version: I got it working 1 time and then when I reinstalled the OS (wanted to dual boot with xp but i changed my mind) the same way it won't run

I've reinstalled vista and all of its updates 3 times today + the 2 updates for sha2 support and each time I run the cmd script (with admin rights) it says "The system cannot find the file specified" at the end. After restarting the laptop it complains about some files being missing

Also why does the installer say that the minimum update level should be April 2017 when it needs sha2 support? (i should've mentioned earlier but forgot)

On my pc it worked on the first try and wasn't even expecting it 

Edited by winvispixp

18 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

can that happend because we use localized versions of vista?

im using en-us

20 minutes ago, Sergiaws said:

I didn't installed the sha2 updates if Windows update don't offered me these updates.

it won't ever offer you those 2 updates because they are meant to be installed on windows server 2008 but luckily they work on vista too

3 hours ago, winvispixp said:

Tried the x64 JRE 16.0.1 version (on vista x64 ofc) and I get the same error as you do

As hinted, to even attempt an installation on Vista SP2 64-bit, you'd need to modify the x64 MSI installer of JRE 16.0.1 with Orca, in order to lower the LaunchCondition from 601 to 600; see pic below: 

8viZXoc.jpg

After installation, you'd need the Extended Kernel, for JRE 16 to run successfully (hopefully ;) ) on that Vista SP2 x64 machine...

As far as I know, you can install the jdk manually without using the installer (maybe for java 8 and newer). People used to install jdk 8 in Windows XP that way, so maybe it's possible to do the same thing with jdk 16? I'll also try the msi with the spoofer created by BlackWingCat.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:04 AM, VistaLover said:

As hinted, to even attempt an installation on Vista SP2 64-bit, you'd need to modify the x64 MSI installer of JRE 16.0.1 with Orca, in order to lower the LaunchCondition from 601 to 600; see pic below: 

8viZXoc.jpg

After installation, you'd need the Extended Kernel, for JRE 16 to run successfully (hopefully ;) ) on that Vista SP2 x64 machine...

JRE 16.0.1 works on vista with the extended kernel installed. Minecraft 1.17 now launches with Multimc.

1 hour ago, SigmaTel71 said:

Well, no luck even on real hardware. I tried WMI spoofing to make the game think I run Windows 7, but it didn't work too. Any suggestions?

Hide contents

unknown.png

maybe it now requires dx11 but they havent updated their requirements, 8600gt only supports dx10 

1 minute ago, burd said:

maybe it now requires dx11

World of Tanks supports DirectX down to DirectX 9 as a fallback renderer in environments like Wine.

2 minutes ago, burd said:

8600gt only supports dx10 

DirectX 11 at feature level DX10.0. enCore RT benchmark that is told to be incompatible with Vista, runs without any issues.

3 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

but the driver for the 8600 GT may not support hardware acceleration

Why does Aero work and enCore RT benchmark as well then? DXDiag reports that all hardware accelerations are enabled.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, SigmaTel71 said:

World of Tanks supports DirectX down to DirectX 9 as a fallback renderer in environments like Wine.

DirectX 11 at feature level DX10.0. enCore RT benchmark that is told to be incompatible with Vista, runs without any issues.

The times change so no one knows, what stop supporting what. Sometimes the change is undocumented for a long time. But who knows.

Edited by burd