[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

4 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I have the same problem

I can't even install new programs

not even realtemp or cpuz will start (they worked before installing the kernel; cpuz gets stuck at 15%)

edit: and yes, I had all vista updates till eol and the win server 2008 updates 

2nd edit: UAC doesn't show up when trying to install new programs or when launching programs that usually require it

none of us have this issue so its quite hard to really help out :(

2 hours ago, winvispixp said:

also does anyone know why win32 moved there?

Idk, i wouldnt switch to eclipse anyhow, althought his switch might be due to the rules here that make it hard for communication and testing of the extended kernel

17 hours ago, winvispixp said:

edit: and yes, I had all vista updates till eol and the win server 2008 updates

I suspect you may have too many Server 2008 updates. For whatever reason, win32 has not chosen to support the “January 2020” update level (which I assume is where greenhillmaniac’s repository stops). I would like to know what @burd says (since he has actually done it: I’m just an interested reader running Vista x86), but I think you should install only the Server 2008 updates pointed out by R3n. Edit: While I appreciate the reaction, burd’s next post convinces me that I was mistaken. :blushing:

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Someone was nice enough to send me a link to a windows vista iso with the extended kernel 5.5 already installed. Now however I get the procedure entry point setgroupaffinity could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel.32.dll when trying to use any app requiring net framework. I did it because the first time I tried updating to the newest version of the kernel I got the beautiful blue screen that said stop! So i did lol not a big deal just reinstalled vista with the updated iso. i noticed it has net framework 4.8 installed as well. Musicbee is an awesome music app but not doesnt work as well as cdburner xp which require net framework to load. Just my guess on what might be the issue if not I can always reinstall and go back to the version before of the kernel. If i try going back on this version of vista I blue screen as well so I just use a standard vista update then install the version of the kernel before the latest one.

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I suspect you may have too many Server 2008 updates. For whatever reason, win32 has not chosen to support the “January 2020” update level (which I assume is where greenhillmaniac’s repository stops). I would like to know what @burd says (since he has actually done it: I’m just an interested reader running Vista x86), but I think you should install only the Server 2008 updates pointed out by R3n.

Idk what his issue is tbh but, in my case i have been using vista on maxed out updates (along with S2k8) and the kernel has worked fine at all times. Even for the newer version of the kernel i had the working WU client with sha-2 endpoints to provide me all the left out updates. All i can suggest to @winvispixp is get the WU client working from mdl and then see if it helps in anyway once all the updates are in order.

49 minutes ago, burd said:

in my case i have been using vista on maxed out updates (along with S2k8) and the kernel has worked fine at all times....

Thanks for clarifying that. Apparently  it doesn’t really matter which Server 2008 monthly rollup is installed then (so no point in quibbling about the meaning of “maxed out”), although there might perhaps be a minimum? I also wonder what version of .NET Framework 4.x you have installed (if any)? Installing versions that did not support Vista might be possible, but this thread has long since convinced me that it isn’t really a great idea. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I also wonder what version of .NET Framework 4.x you have installed (if any)? Installing versions that did not support Vista might be possible, but this thread has long since convinced me that it isn’t really a great idea. :unsure:

I had 4.7 before but WU wouldn't find updates so one would have to manually update from the ms catalog site which was quite annoying. I downgraded back to 4.6 just for the convenience of updating through WU, Yes .Net Framework from 2k8 is installable on vista but a bypass is needed which doesnt check for the ESU license to allow successful installation.

9 hours ago, burd said:

All i can suggest to @winvispixp is get the WU client working from mdl and then see if it helps in anyway once all the updates are in order.

I actually tried that and it kept searching for updates endlessly (at this point I already had all the updates that greenhillmaniac gave to us)

I will reinstall the windows thursday when I get a better CPU, RAM and SSD for my laptop and try again

1 more question: should I install all the updates that greenhillmaniac provided (there are over 700, including server 2008) or should I ignore them and install whatever I get after installing that WU patch?

28 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

I actually tried that and it kept searching for updates endlessly (at this point I already had all the updates that greenhillmaniac gave to us)

I will reinstall the windows thursday when I get a better CPU, RAM and SSD for my laptop and try again

1 more question: should I install all the updates that greenhillmaniac provided (there are over 700, including server 2008) or should I ignore them and install whatever I get after installing that WU patch?

WU is the way to go. The method greenhillmaniac provided is for manual updating and safekeeping of updates incase MS takes them down. I would say just use WU and dont install any from the repo,which is what i do everytime.

Edited by burd

Somewhat OT, but since you brought this up here...

On 5/19/2021 at 2:16 AM, VistaLover said:

someone on a clean Vista SP2 install will have to restore a functioning WU (while it's still possible - at least one solution is known to work, but its "legality" is grey... :whistle:) and then (first) install 4.5.2 and let WU fetch all applicable updates up to Vista's EOL and then, additionally, up to WS2008's EOL - finally, make a list of those updates and share it for others to fetch and archive manually from M$'s Update Catalog...

The same will have to be done for 4.6.0; as correctly pointed out, that's the very last WU supports officially on Vista; the list of updates that'd be produced for 4.6.0 is also applicable to 4.6.1, which is the last one to install out-of-the-box on Vista SP2 (but updates for it must be downloaded and installed manually) ...

14 hours ago, burd said:

but WU wouldn't find updates so one would have to manually update from the ms catalog site which was quite annoying. I downgraded back to 4.6 just for the convenience of updating through WU

@burd , could you be a sport and do this Vista community some additional good? :)

Please, go to Windows Update => Installed Updates => Sort by "Program" => Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 (x)

and then make a list of ALL the updates your restored WU fetched and successfully installed for .NET FW 4.6 ? :D
If possible, you can divide them chronologically into three groups :
1. Till Vista SP2's EOL
2. Till WS2008SP2's EOL
3. Currently installed ones under WS2008SP2 ESU (i.e. including those for Apr 2021)

The produced list can then be used to easily fetch the same updates from MUC and update manually a Vista SP2 .NET FW 4.6.1 install :cheerleader:... Thanks in advance to anyone willing to undertake this!

Best regards :)

On 5/23/2021 at 2:55 AM, winvispixp said:

not even realtemp or cpuz will start (they worked before installing the kernel; cpuz gets stuck at 15%)

Yes, CPU-Z should work on vanilla Vista (not sure about realtemp). Looks like win32 confirmed the problem on 29 Jan (see page 1 of the thread you are obviously familiar with at another forum).

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Somewhat OT, but since you brought this up here...

@burd , could you be a sport and do this Vista community some additional good? :)

Please, go to Windows Update => Installed Updates => Sort by "Program" => Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 (x)

and then make a list of ALL the updates your restored WU fetched and successfully installed for .NET FW 4.6 ? :D
If possible, you can divide them chronologically into three groups :
1. Till Vista SP2's EOL
2. Till WS2008SP2's EOL
3. Currently installed ones under WS2008SP2 ESU (i.e. including those for Apr 2021)

The produced list can then be used to easily fetch the same updates from MUC and update manually a Vista SP2 .NET FW 4.6.1 install :cheerleader:... Thanks in advance to anyone willing to undertake this!

Best regards :)

I just did this and i honestly dont know which ones are which. Only a handful mention itself as Net framework, have a look.

image.thumb.png.47acbfed7eb64ca5c0915a49d5aa6905.png

@burd Thanks :thumbup , but please change the "Views" setting to "Details" (and then arrange by "Program"), afterwards you can simply "Snipping Tool" just the .NET FW 4.6 ones; on my 32-bit machine, here's a glimpse of what was manually installed for 4.6.1 (including pre-releases) up until Oct 2017 (I, then, simply couldn't be bothered anymore... <_<) :

jUFWGUq.jpg

42 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

@burd Thanks :thumbup , but please change the "Views" setting to "Details" (and then arrange by "Program"), afterwards you can simply "Snipping Tool" just the .NET FW 4.6 ones; on my 32-bit machine, here's a glimpse of what was manually installed for 4.6.1 (including pre-releases) up until Oct 2017 (I, then, simply couldn't be bothered anymore... <_<) :

jUFWGUq.jpg

It was set to details from before, but i went ahead and did group by program to make it acceptable by you, here is all i got. :)

image.png.37d6a43975463362f3fcad7c90aecf0c.png

Edited by burd