[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

he also has a new website for it here -------> http://win32.eclipse.cx/ :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 here are the patch notes he said about it (extended kernel for vista ver 5.6 patch notes:A new Vista extended kernel has been released. It runs win7 calculator and paint as well as Firefox 89+. (with serious gdi related font rendering issues).

Edited by legacyfan

59 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

he also has a new website for it here -------> http://win32.eclipse.cx/ :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 here are the patch notes he said about it (extended kernel for vista ver 5.6 patch notes:A new Vista extended kernel has been released. It runs win7 calculator and paint as well as Firefox 89+. (with serious gdi related font rendering issues).

Doesnt work for me though, also win32 mentions an extended kernel thread, could you please link me to the whereabouts. Edit : i think i found it.

image.png.003013987ea493e77ecff087c72b3fac.pngimage.png.53a5ff31565941c4235fc07e142de210.png

Edited by burd

I actually did manage to get both running eventually with the help of R3n from eclipse and thanks to win32 to make this possible, mspaint gave the same error as wmp12 which makes me believe its pretty close to be workable

pacal.jpg

59 minutes ago, burd said:

I actually did manage to get both running eventually with the help of R3n from eclipse and thanks to win32 to make this possible, mspaint gave the same error as wmp12 which makes me believe its pretty close to be workable

maybe you can post what you did to make it work here ?

i'm sure a lot of people hate going thru "100s" of websites to find an answer to their question 

1 hour ago, burd said:

pacal.jpg

i tried, but nothing happens

@winvispixp @THK2003 you need the latest extended kernel first (May 2021), then copy mspaint and calc.exe from system32 and their mui files to a folder of your choice or you can replace them in system32 of vista. The mui files are in system32/en-US. In my case i just replaced the old paint and calc with win7's.

image.png.63f332e7b68103f7d53f4d619bca517e.png

it should be like this and inside en-US is the mui file called mspaint.exe.mui

Edited by burd

4 hours ago, burd said:

pacal.jpg

Stunning! I hated Windows Vista's calculator, it was basically XP's with Aero. However, the Windows 7 Calculator fits Windows Vista way better.

Win32, you should really work at Microsoft. You do their job better

1 hour ago, yoltboy01 said:

Stunning! I hated Windows Vista's calculator, it was basically XP's with Aero. However, the Windows 7 Calculator fits Windows Vista way better.

Win32, you should really work at Microsoft. You do their job better

All of Windows Vista's stock applications are just XP's with Aero interface. 7 fixed this, but most of them still felt a little out of place with the Windows 8-esk ribbon, which was first seen in Office 2007.

i reinstalled vista. now what updates do i need to install the extended kernel... i need links or a link to the list of updates i need. i installed the sha2 code signing updates already.

Just now, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

i reinstalled vista. now what updates do i need to install the extended kernel... i need links or a link to the list of updates i need. i installed the sha2 code signing updates already.

nvm maybe i can figure it out.(hope i dont mess up the install again lol)

It is not clear what you did wrong. You have omitted minor details, e.g. was Vista fully updated to April 2017 EOL before you installed sha2 support? Once you have “upgraded” to Windows build 6.0.6003, I don’t think it is possible to retroactively install missing updates for 6.0.6002 (but I never attempted it and might be mistaken).

6 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

ok elite dangerous isnt launching. in fact nothing (except firefox fsr) that use the instructions in the extended kernel will start...

I have the same problem

I can't even install new programs

not even realtemp or cpuz will start (they worked before installing the kernel; cpuz gets stuck at 15%)

edit: and yes, I had all vista updates till eol and the win server 2008 updates 

2nd edit: UAC doesn't show up when trying to install new programs or when launching programs that usually require it

Edited by winvispixp