[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, winvispixp said:

about that

i dont know what happened to that install or how i made it to work but now on newer installs its still broken

I wonder what happened. Well the 64-bit version's working fine so I suppose this isn't too big of an issue.

13 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Sorry for double post, but Facebook Live videos are a fail with the very latest Firefox on Vista. Not sure if these specifically have been mentioned. I know Youtube has, but not sure about Facebook, specifically Facebook Live videos.

1778828603_FacebookLive.thumb.JPG.2b331452a6d15606c72a2fcaca934446.JPG

It's working fine for me. I installed the Media Foundation Platform though in the mfplatsetup zip...

46 minutes ago, asininetwat said:

1778828603_FacebookLive.thumb.JPG.2b331452a6d15606c72a2fcaca934446.JPG

It's working fine for me. I installed the Media Foundation Platform though in the mfplatsetup zip...

Firefox’s requirement for certain Windows 7 file versions has been known to win32 since July 2020 and the installer you mention was a real achievement, but I wonder if it might affect media software that expects only Vista file versions.

44 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

That page is 12 years old, and their download link leads to a Deviant Art page that doesn’t exist.

No need to worry about that, it doesnt work anyways, i have the 7000 beta build and even after replacing wploc you get a version mismatch error. If you replace all the wmp dll files it complains for kernelbase.dll and other missing functions. I even had a separate topic few years back, ive tried this many times but to no avail.

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

That page is 12 years old, and their download link leads to a Deviant Art page that doesn’t exist.

My bad.

45 minutes ago, burd said:

No need to worry about that, it doesnt work anyways, i have the 7000 beta build and even after replacing wploc you get a version mismatch error. If you replace all the wmp dll files it complains for kernelbase.dll and other missing functions. I even had a separate topic few years back, ive tried this many times but to no avail.

I tried it using files from Windows 7 SP1 with all the updates and got this. If we can fix that error, it may work.

Media Player 12 Error.jpg

Edited by Jakob99

50 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

My bad.

I tried it using files from Windows 7 SP1 with all the updates and got this. If we can fix that error, it may work.

Media Player 12 Error.jpg

setup_wm.exe opens in mine, but anyhow you cant use it, its only meant for updates, try wmplayer.exe and see the error.

Maybe WMP12 (and hopefully other Media Software like Spotify) will work with the next version of Extended Kernel. I hope we will someday have latest Skype, Spotify, OneDrive and OneNote working on Vista. 

I wanted to upload a "Windows Vista AIO April 2017" version to archive.org. I don't know if a version with Extended Kernel included is allowed, probably not, but with that we don't always need to update Vista first, after reinstalling it. I think I will include IE9 patches till June 2019, working WSUS server, and the Root Certificate Update. I lately saw that they havent updated their Vista database for years now, however they keep pushing new XP, Win7-Win10 ISOs but exclude Vista. 

If you have any wish what I could include into the ISO File, before uploading you can comment.

Edited by Tripredacus

@yoltboy01 : Make sure not to link any of your endeavours here, else you'll get summarily BANNED...
(FWIW, I'm not even sure that "site" you simply "mentioned" will go down well with the mods here...
Just friendly advice, nothing more... :whistle: )

1 hour ago, burd said:

setup_wm.exe opens in mine, but anyhow you cant use it, its only meant for updates, try wmplayer.exe and see the error.

Windows Media Player has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem. That's what happens whenwmplayer.exe is opened What do you get when you open setup_wm.exe?

Edited by Jakob99

24 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Windows Media Player has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem. That's what happens whenwmplayer.exe is opened What do you get when you open setup_wm.exe?

The picture is from 7 but i get the same message in Vista. It doesnt have any missing functions.

timage.png.e8caba8ac3dbe7b38a1551db9353414b.png

28 minutes ago, burd said:

The picture is from 7 but i get the same message in Vista. It doesnt have any missing functions.

timage.png.e8caba8ac3dbe7b38a1551db9353414b.png

Interesting. What did you have to do to get setup_wm.exe to at least show that.

Edited by Jakob99

33 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Interesting. What did you have to do to get setup_wm.exe to at least show that.

I have the extended kernel with added functions. That error is normal on any WMP setup even on wmp11's.

Edited by burd

27 minutes ago, burd said:

I have the extended kernel with added functions. That error is normal on any WMP setup even on wmp11's.

So nothing had to be edited? Interesting.