[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

2 minutes ago, burd said:

why not use the feb 2021 release? also i believe the feb 2021 fixes this issue along with providing an alternative explorer.exe aswell incase it still didnt.

The Feb 2021 release straight up gives me a "Windows failed to start" error.

3 hours ago, PugLover13 said:

When I try to install the Extended Kernel December 2020 release, it installs smoothly then after logging into Windows I recieve a SHELL32.dll error, and then explorer crashes and wont reopen, however my system meets all the criteria for it to work.: It is 64-bit, updates until EOL + most of the optional non-security hotfixes from the Vista update repository and Server 2008 updates are installed, so uhh what is wrong??

on mega you can see a folder named "replacement explorer"

as the name suggests there you can find a different version of explorer that you have now

replace the old one with this one in C:\Windows

boot from the usb or dvd or whatever you have, open cmd, then notepad, then click on "save as" (make sure to change from seeing only .txt files in the right bottom corner on notepad)

i had the same problem and thats how i got rid of it

I tried to run Windows Media Player 12 (extracted from Program Files from a Windows 7 installation I am using) and got this error to pop up after running setup_wm.exe: The procedure entry point SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll. And I did open each exe file in CFF Explorer and changed all three instances of 6.1 to 6.0. After closing the error box, it then tells me that Media Player has stopped working.

Media Player 12.jpg

Not really sure if it's because of the extended kernel but I noticed random songs won't play on the 32-bit version of Media Player. The 64-bit version plays all my songs fine though. Which is also how I found out that my quick launch bar links to the 32-bit one for some reason...

On an unrelated note, is the Event Viewer broken for any of y'all or is it just my computer?

1794162298_EventViwer.PNG.cd4e59ac6b9ba57a7d4d6dfac7bea12a.PNG

For the song thing, not sure if it is related, but I wonder about audio files with unicode characters in the file name or ID text. I've known some audio players not being able to play those, or others (like winamp) just shows garbage characters but you can still play the audio.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:06 AM, asininetwat said:

Not really sure if it's because of the extended kernel but I noticed random songs won't play on the 32-bit version of Media Player. The 64-bit version plays all my songs fine though....

WMP issue was discussed January 25. Same member reported March 6 WMP “now working out-of-the-box,” so the solution might be to use the latest version of extended kernel. Edit: Oops! See 3 posts down:blushing:

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Sorry for double post, but Facebook Live videos are a fail with the very latest Firefox on Vista. Not sure if these specifically have been mentioned. I know Youtube has, but not sure about Facebook, specifically Facebook Live videos.

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Same member reported March 6 WMP “now working out-of-the-box,”

about that

i dont know what happened to that install or how i made it to work but now on newer installs its still broken

35 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

its still broken

Thanks for clarification. Hopefully we are all talking about Windows Media Player 11 (x86 version only).

Hasn’t anyone tried to get iTunes working? The last version to support Windows 7 and 8 appears to be 12.10.11. (The last version to support vanilla Vista is a dinosaur now.)