[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

14 hours ago, burd said:

Apparently LGUB dropped support for all old OSes like Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 naturally it will affect Vista KernelEx the same way.

image.png

About that... Windows 8.1 is in very weird state. they seem to forgot about it :D The installer downloads 2021.2 and then upgrades itself to 2021.3. Windows 7 does not work (tested it).

3 hours ago, winvispixp said:

any news? perhaps you know a method to get newer steam clients to work? (i wanna get cs:go running)

broken fang broke vista compatibility i think.

On 4/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, burd said:

@win32 any update on the extended kernel, havent heard from you in a while regarding it.

He's probably really busy right now. I'm waiting for Windows 7+ drivers to work with this. I have an Acer Aspire A315-21-63F1 with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics (which does support 7 and 8.1 in addition to 10).

19 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

He's probably really busy right now. I'm waiting for Windows 7+ drivers to work with this. I have an Acer Aspire A315-21-63F1 with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics (which does support 7 and 8.1 in addition to 10).

We all are waiting for win7 drivers to work, atleast the bare minimum for starters like nvidia and amd drivers, pascal is barely usable at max so its considered broken.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:28 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

About that... Windows 8.1 is in very weird state. they seem to forgot about it :D The installer downloads 2021.2 and then upgrades itself to 2021.3. Windows 7 does not work (tested it).

I got this update on w7 and vista, its a minor update, im assuming there wont be a major update from 2021 to 2022 or something similar.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:58 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

Generally speaking, I think Windows 8.1 will be treated like Vista when it comes to Supported Software. To be fair, the following companies should have separated XP‘s EOL from Vista‘s EOL:

Google: 

Chrome support ended 2 years after XP’s EOL in 2016 with v49. If they would have done the same 2 year hiatus after Vista‘s EOL, we would probably have Chrome up to v73/74. 

Mozilla: 

Firefox XP users functionality updates nearly 3 years after EOL. Imagine, Vista‘s EOL was in 2017 and additional 3 years would mean that users could have possibly be at Firefox v68 ESR/78ESR

Microsoft:

To be really honest with you guys, Microsoft did the most sh*t, when it comes to Software Compatibility with Vista. 

1. It literally came with WMP 11 and stayed with it until EOL, although 12 was pre-released, 2 YEARS after Vista‘s release. XP on the other hand, came with WMP 6 (?) and got all the way up to WMP 11?? 

2. Microsoft Live Essentials 2012 was a heavy improvement over 2011 and I‘m sure that Vista could have ran that software easily

3. Internet Explorer 9 is the biggest cra* browser that is still updated nowadays. Please never tell me that this browser is good. I was mad that MS stopped producing IE and replaced it with Edge. That‘s so confusing in Windows 10 with two browsers but anyways.. IE9 was released in early 2011, when Vista was 3 years old. However, Vista‘s Mainstream Support ended in 2012, which means that never IE versions could have definitely be ported to it as well. If they would have released new IE versions annually, XP should gave gotten IE9/10 and Vista 11+.

Why I am so mad? Because when we speak of Vista, we also mean Server 2008 SP2. An operating system, which is used in bigger companies and businesses. What‘s the point of updating IE9 for sooooo long, if businesses cant do anything, not even check E-Mails anymore? Server 2008 is my biggest argument for these unjustified EOL‘s. My father‘s company still relies on that OS with ESU on it now, but everytime I see Vista/Server 2008, a bitter irony floats through me: the only still secure browser is Internet Explorer 9 and it‘s basically useless. Anything that scores below 300 HTML5 points cant be used properly to browse the web anymore

22 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Generally speaking, I think Windows 8.1 will be treated like Vista when it comes to Supported Software. To be fair, the following companies should have separated XP‘s EOL from Vista‘s EOL:

Google: 

Chrome support ended 2 years after XP’s EOL in 2016 with v49. If they would have done the same 2 year hiatus after Vista‘s EOL, we would probably have Chrome up to v73/74. 

Mozilla: 

Firefox XP users functionality updates nearly 3 years after EOL. Imagine, Vista‘s EOL was in 2017 and additional 3 years would mean that users could have possibly be at Firefox v68 ESR/78ESR

Microsoft:

To be really honest with you guys, Microsoft did the most sh*t, when it comes to Software Compatibility with Vista. 

1. It literally came with WMP 11 and stayed with it until EOL, although 12 was pre-released, 2 YEARS after Vista‘s release. XP on the other hand, came with WMP 6 (?) and got all the way up to WMP 11?? 

2. Microsoft Live Essentials 2012 was a heavy improvement over 2011 and I‘m sure that Vista could have ran that software easily

3. Internet Explorer 9 is the biggest cra* browser that is still updated nowadays. Please never tell me that this browser is good. I was mad that MS stopped producing IE and replaced it with Edge. That‘s so confusing in Windows 10 with two browsers but anyways.. IE9 was released in early 2011, when Vista was 3 years old. However, Vista‘s Mainstream Support ended in 2012, which means that never IE versions could have definitely be ported to it as well. If they would have released new IE versions annually, XP should gave gotten IE9/10 and Vista 11+.

Why I am so mad? Because when we speak of Vista, we also mean Server 2008 SP2. An operating system, which is used in bigger companies and businesses. What‘s the point of updating IE9 for sooooo long, if businesses cant do anything, not even check E-Mails anymore? Server 2008 is my biggest argument for these unjustified EOL‘s. My father‘s company still relies on that OS with ESU on it now, but everytime I see Vista/Server 2008, a bitter irony floats through me: the only still secure browser is Internet Explorer 9 and it‘s basically useless. Anything that scores below 300 HTML5 points cant be used properly to browse the web anymore

Thats the first im hearing of anyone actually using 2008 SP2 ngl, but i agree with you, lets say they didnt update IE9 but maybe just give IE9 SP1/SP2 like Win2k or something? to have something useable.

Edited by burd

So , I downloaded all the files I needed to get Extended kernel working from WindowsViennaUpdateCenter and I wanted to ask some questions :

1) Can I get Steam working somehow ?

2) How do I know if I have the latest Exteneded kernel build ?

3) How can I install it ?

how do i use the extended kernel if i cant update vista at all(tried everything...). also if discord is working on vista without needing a web browser that would be good. Windows 8.1 is also causing problems on this PC so i want to move to vista. and i want to get steam fully working too... so i can just use Vista as my main OS

EDIT. I finally Got Windows Update working. ofc i find the way when i say i tried everything. i thought i did.

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016
Got Windows Update Working

17 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

So , I downloaded all the files I needed to get Extended kernel working from WindowsViennaUpdateCenter and I wanted to ask some questions :

1) Can I get Steam working somehow ?

2) How do I know if I have the latest Exteneded kernel build ?

3) How can I install it ?

Steam kinda works. I have the build from October 2020 running on my computer from this thread. The latest build of the extended kernel is from Feb 26 I believe and comes in a convenient command file that you have to run as admin (vistaexkernelsetup.cmd).

10 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

yeah but it says ''checking for latest updates''....How I stop that?

Assuming you have SP2 and Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256, it sounds like an old familiar issue is back!? (But Windows Update isn’t supposed to work anymore!?) Set Windows Update to “Never check for updates,” click OK and restart. Then manually install KB4015195, KB4015380, KB4012583 and KB3205638 either from Microsoft Update Catalog or greenhillmaniac’s repository. There is a YouTube video by WinClient5270 with download links in the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGYgxfpkeg

(Minor detail: If IE9 is already installed, I would nowadays suggest KB4507434 rather than the older patch mentioned in the video.)

Act fast because M$ may shut it down again, and let’s try not to turn this into a “How to Update Vista” thread please.

Edit: False alarm. :blushing:

Edited by Vistapocalypse