[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 4/7/2021 at 3:00 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Yes, greenhillmaniac has a repository for Vista updates (see this post for a link) and another for Server 2008 updates after Vista’s EOL (see this post for a link).

I reeeeaaalllyyyy hate MEGA and their stupid downloading limits, does anyone have a mirror link from Mediafire or Anonfiles? I genuinely could not figure out how to download all the updates without the download failing (even with Megadownloader), and I ain't paying for premium >:/

Firefox Nightly 89 dosen't work with the extended kernel

now asking two missing functions in kernel32.dll and ntdll.dll

WerRegisterRuntimeExceptionModule in kernel32.dll and TpSetPoolStackInformation in ntdll.dll

Windows Vista Extended Kernel-2021-04-09-21-05-22.jpg

Edited by THK2003

@THK2003 , WerRegisterRuntimeExceptionModule function registers a custom runtime exception handler that is used to provide custom error reporting for crashes.

The key words are "error reporting" , so this is yet another spying "feature" . Absolutely not needed . Try replacing crashreporter.exe with a blank file.

Create an empty txt file . Rename it from "New Text Document.txt" to crashreporter.exe and replace. Actually, you can replace all *.exe files in the firefox folder,

except the firefox.exe itself.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

you're welcome , make sure to rename it to crashreporter.exe , NOT to crashreporter.exe.txt. Because I see you have file extensions hidden . Go to control panel/folder options/view and unselect (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file types".

17 hours ago, jan3 said:

Who can help me instal this kernel?? 

It‘s very simple.

I dont know if you use Vista as your main OS or as a VM but you need a machine running Vista SP2 (64 Bit).

1. Make sure you have all the updates installed till EOL (04/2017) - you cannot get them from Windows Update anymore, since WU was shut down on Vista back in August 2020. You need to run a Tool called WindowsPatchLoader 2.0, from where you can downlod all Updates for Vista till 2021/04. Please dont patch your system till that date, it will crash after installing Extended Kernel. Go as far as 04/2017! 

2. After downloading all 2010-2017 Updates, download a programm called Dism++, which can apply all these updates to your system. Therefore, you need to go to the Update Management section and press Add, locate the folder where the downloaded updates are and select them all. It may take 20-70 minutes, depending on your PC specs

3. Now visit the Mega website, where the Extended Kernel was uploaded to and download the zip file. 

4. Unpack the zip, and run the file vistaextendedkernel as an administrator. It will open a CMD popup, which you only have to press any key for to install. (takes 2 seconds..)

5. After the install finishes, reboot the PC/VM

6. Now you have the Extended Kernel!!

Note: If you apply any further Security patch, the Kernel32.dll file will automatically be replaced again, with the original, unmodified Vista one 

* Exception: You can install Internet Explorer 9 patches, they wont affect the Kernel. You can Patch IE9 till 01/2020 without any trouble

4 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

1. Make sure you have all the updates installed till EOL (04/2017)....

* Exception: You can install Internet Explorer 9 patches, they wont affect the Kernel. You can Patch IE9 till 01/2020 without any trouble

I never actually attempted to install an IE9 patch signed exclusively with SHA-256 on Vista, but I doubt that it would be possible unless SHA-2 support was first installed. The last IE9 patch with an SHA-1 signature was KB4507434 (July 2019), which would not change the build number to 6003 like Windows 6.0 updates released in April 2019 or later (including those needed for SHA-2 support).