[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

15 minutes ago, asininetwat said:

Does anyone else have Firefox 86 crash when loading certain webpages?

Webpages like this one somehow makes my browser crash. Event viewer says something goes wrong with xul.dll but I don't know anything about how Firefox works...

Yes. I tried debugging it, but I'm not sure if it's connected to directwrite, mediafoundation, or the non-presence of kernelbase.dll (which isn't needed by Vista, and is simply part of kernel32 broken out into a new file). Very hard with multi-process applications.

So I'm after another clean install and while trying to install the extended kernel December 2020 release it says: "file not found" during copying the new files. Had to use system restore three times (it renamed old files but didnt copy new ones so it BSOD at startup). Why is this happening?

Edit: nevermind extracting to desktop helped...?

Edited by PugLover13

ok i want to install the extended kernel on my laptop. since my main has it. but vista isnt up to date. and every time i use windows update. i get Error 80072EFE. so how am i going to get to the latest patch level? btw this laptop has these updates

wu1.jpg

@ScrapMechanicFan2016 , try to install KB4467700-x64 from 2017-2018 or so , I remember when I tried one of the previous ex-kernel versions , it helped . But that was in November or December and I haven't tried any new versions and uninstalled everything. I do not like having anything on my PC that I do not use .

Some applications started demanding the SHA-2 rollup update KB4474419, which is obviously already installed, so that will become the minimum soon. Though there are currently two sets of ntoskrnl/winload; one works with April 2017 updates (soon to be discontinued), and the other only works with the (SHA-2) March 2019 update. They will not work with anything else.

10 hours ago, Dixel said:

@ScrapMechanicFan2016 , try to install KB4467700-x64 from 2017-2018 or so , I remember when I tried one of the previous ex-kernel versions , it helped . But that was in November or December and I haven't tried any new versions and uninstalled everything. I do not like having anything on my PC that I do not use .

well it seems it didnt work...

wu2.jpg

wu3.jpg

15 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

ok i want to install the extended kernel on my laptop. since my main has it. but vista isnt up to date. and every time i use windows update. i get Error 80072EFE. so how am i going to get to the latest patch level? btw this laptop has these updates

Go and download a tool called "WindowsPatchLoader" as well as "Dism++". Open the Zip folder from Patch Loader and launch the WindowsPatchLoader 2.0 Application. Now select your Operating System, as well as the architecture (Vista, x64) and a whole bunch of updates will be shown (from 2008-2021). Uncheck the first 50 I guess, since they include SP1 and SP2, which are already installed on your machine. I would recommend you to only download 2010-2018 Updates and if you really want extra security, go till 01/2020. After they finished downloading, launch Dism++ and go to Updates Management. Here you press "Add" and now select all the previous downloaded updates. Dism++ will apply all of the selected updates to your PC now. After that, go restart your PC and voilà.. your Vista system is patched and ready for Extended Kernel. 

ATTENTION!:

1. In order to download the applications, first be sure you use Firefox 52.9 ESR, as IE9 may not be able to open the websites

2. Speaking of IE9, please be sure that you have installed it on your system, since some updates may be IE9-patches, which include TLS1.1/1.2 support + additional security (ONLY IF YOU ARE USING IE9!)

3. I would always recommend you to only install like 100 Updates at once to avoid any errors during Reboot!

Unbennnt.PNG

6 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

well it seems it didnt work...

Well , it's strange . Like I said earlier , I have an absolutely clean x64 SP2 . This update installs without any problems . Then - boom - the kernel from December works ! Did you see , win32 said , as of now "only two level of updates April 2017 and March 2019" , right ? So this one has all of the needed files for it to work . Again , I'm not using it simply because I don't need it , not because it doesn't work or smth. Ex-kernel is a great achievement , I already said it many times.

Hello

I can run chrome 72 on windows vista extended kernel and kb4474419 update

But I can't run chrome 88

What should I do?

Thanks

Edited by mohsad

On 3/26/2021 at 3:11 AM, asininetwat said:

Does anyone else have Firefox 86 crash when loading certain webpages?

Webpages like this one somehow makes my browser crash. Event viewer says something goes wrong with xul.dll but I don't know anything about how Firefox works...

My browser is not crashing.

Безымянный.jpg